General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

help with a/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM

help with a/c

My a/c is really sucking on performance right now, i have had a slow leak from the compressor itself for a few years, but its worked okay just recharge it every few months... Now its really sucking, and it seems like something is just wrong.... even when it does get a little cool, the a/c line itself doesnt get cold like they normally do, the compressor is on, it is defineatly full of freon but its just not cold. I had a extra expansion valve laying around so i changed that, it didnt help. is there some kind of orfice tube or something, it seems like somethings clogged or not circulating properly the pressures on the high and low side are really high. What should i Replace first? the drier?

Ryan
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 AM

is the compressor running?
Old 08-20-2009, 12:09 PM

yes the compressor kicks on and spins fine but its just not getting cold .

you hear it click on when you turn on the a/c and i can see it spinning the clutch.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM

yesterday i changed the expansion valve, today i changed the drier and ended up buying a new compressor, i will finish it up tomorrow and i better have ice cold a/c now, that compressor was a doozy 210 for a reman yikes!

so now with a new expansion valve, drier, and compressor i really shouldnt have any other problems!! if i need a evaporator ill shoot myself.
just kiddin lol

so now when i replace the compressor can someone tell me the proper way to charge the a/c , i have a giant can of freon the 30lb tank and a set of guages the only thing i dont have is a scale.. I have 2 small cans of the pag oil as well .
can someone please tell me the proper way to do this so i dont ruin my new compressor, i am not very experienced with working on and diagnosing air conditioning problems, i ussualy just pull a vacuum on it for a haalf hour then suck in the freon with the tank upside down to get the liquid, then start the car up and let it suck in freon with the tank right side up until its cold.,

but when and how much of the oil should i put in?

RYan
Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM

^ expansion valve???? what year? the expansion valve / poa systen was done in 1973

Last edited by twozs; 08-21-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:50 PM

guy you have to pull a vacuum on the system just dont dump freon into it
Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM

i did pull a vacuum on it i said in my post what i ussualy do to charge it.
anyways.

I had a leaking compressor from the seals. so i knew i needed a compressor but i didnt think it was causing my a/c performance issues, since it would hold a charge for a month or more.

I noticed the line going to the expansion valve was not getting cold like they should so if that line isnt cold the a/c isnt working very well. and the pressures on the high and low side were both extremely high.

I replace the expansion valve, and that didnt fix the problem at all, so today i put in a new compressor and a drier and everything is fine now, icey cold and no leaks. Now the line to the expansion valve is cold.. so it looks like i had two problems, the leaky compressor and the drier/accumulator.

I also noticed there wasnt a drop of oil in the system, so i followed the instructions on the compressor , and filled it with half the pag oil for the system (4oz of pag150) and then put the other 4 ounces in the low side through the line, never been colder thanks for the help from the guys who responded in my other post, because i had no clue what to use for oil or how much to put in. thanks!! love this board.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM

glad to hear its working. one question , you keep mentioning "expansion valve" is this some sort of aftermarket system ? here is an expansion valve and its coil to the sensing bulb located on the suction line. the expansion valve is on the high pressure side of the system and shouldn't be cold . its a metering device that controls the flow of liquid freon to the evaporator coil Name:  exvalve002.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  179.1 KB
Old 08-22-2009, 07:49 PM

do you mean the orifice screen and piston . this is a MUST CHANGE item on the system every time its open Name:  A5100_GMOrificeTube.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  22.4 KB
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 PM

oh, i dunno isnt this an expansion valve?
thats what its listed as in my computer for ordering parts anyways.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 AM

i stand corrected it is quoted as an expansion valve