General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Heater core hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Heater core hose replacement

Hi all,
I've got a '93 LT1 and recently replaced the heater core (about a year ago). Just this past week one of the hoses going to the heater core has opened up in one of the bends of the hose and is losing a lot of fluid.
I need to replace it and have seen some people talking about cutting the crimped ends open and replacing with a standard clamp. The hose that has developed the hole is the one with a couple of turns in it.

Has anyone replaced this hose before without replacing the whole set (expensive)? If so can you steer me to a hose that will work?

This car is my daily driver and need to get it going again as soon as possible. I've attached a pic with arrows pointing to the hose in question.

Also, will the assembly have to come out to do this or is it possible without removing it?

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:48 AM

Re: Heater core hose replacement

Mine opened up but it was over the water pump, not down near the shock tower. Grinding the aluminum off and replacing it was easy. I just took the hose to advance and got the closest shape I could find.

I used an angle grinder because it was easily accessible. I'm not sure what your clearance looks like but you may be able to fit a rotary tool in there. I bought the biggest hose that had my bend because they were all the same price. I cut the bend off with the proper length and now I have a 16" length of spare straight heater hose as well

Last edited by raroz28; 11-13-2019 at 07:50 AM.