General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Harwood+Summit racing, three hoods sent back so far....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Harwood+Summit racing, three hoods sent back so far....

I just went and looked at the THIRD hood that I sent back from Summit racing. These are Harwood glass hoods, $540 shipped:

1st hood damaged in shipping(crappy Harwood box)

2nd hood also damaged in shipping but had chips in the gel-coat and imperfections in the top from Harwood.
(Crappy Harwood box)

3rd hood, I went to the dock to inspect trying to save some possibilities of damage from there to my house....box was trashed, had been opened and taped(poorly) back up, had glue on the underside around the outside edges hanging down had been trimmed underneath un-uniformly. chips in the gel-coat..I refused that one as well.(crappy Harwood box)

I call Summit, they are doing their best to handle the situation, and are now out of stock on the hoods...be 3 or more weeks wait....I told them to give me a refund.

I call Harwood directly...told the guy my situation....he says"These are not show quality, finished products" I said for $540 they need to be a little closer than they are, and that I was not gonna pay that kinda money and then spend another $300 on getting it READY to paint.....he said he would go and "hand pick" me a hood.

I cannot believe Harwood charges that much for a hood....puts it in a non-framed plain cardboard box with some bullsh!t foam on the corners and expects the end user(you and me) to get a nice product....the American Sportscar Designs hood I have now has MUCH better quality than the Harwood ever thought about having and costs less...but is not the hood I want, Harwood is the only people who make this particular hood(b 12201).

Does it seem like it is getting harder to get what you pay for is it just me?

Sorry for the rant

David
Old 05-18-2005, 10:49 AM

Re: Harwood+Summit racing, three hoods sent back so far....

I wonder if the problem is the packer or the freight transporter. From what I understand is that the hood is ready for paint will minimal prep work so I would assume that it's in somewhat of paint ready condition. There shouldn't be any deep scratches or cracks and I agree that you should get your money back if it's in obvious poor condition.
If the box is beat up that bad..someone needs to investigate why the boxes are getting thrashed and need to clearly mark the boxes as fragile or something. I use to work in shipping and handled freight...I know some of the things that need attention.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Banned

Re: Harwood+Summit racing, three hoods sent back so far....

Probably the main cause is the crap for packaging Harwood sends the hoods in. I guess they figure they are insured and don't give a flip after they leave their dock, hell they have gotten their money...shipping damage sells more hoods. But for me I am still waiting on a hood, THE hood I saved and paid for......I have called Harwood directly and will get the hood from them as soon as I get the refund from Summit. I was told they would hand pick me a hood(for whatever thats worth) We will see.

I have went and looked again at the ASCD hood I have now, the quality is much better than the Harwood and it costs less, but again is not the hood I want. Stay tuned.

David