General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 01:28 AM

Re: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.

I noticed a similarity while reviewing this thread. My intake was improperly hooked back up(grease was applied to the MAF end on the filter side for some reason and had slid off) just before my car started to act like this. So I was pretty much running my car with no air filter on it for a week or so. I read that your air filter had been off of your car at some point possibly before your car developed this problem. Maybe all that needs to be done is what I was told needs to be done: Clean the throttle body and intake tract. I was told you can buy a cleaning kit, and from what I understand you open up a vacuum line and then spray in the cleaner into the intake with the car running. It wasn't explained to me, but that is what I assume. Autozone for $30 or so. Gonna check into this Monday when I get a chance.

Good luck to the many people with this problem.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:02 AM

Thanks! I'll call AZ and ask about the kit.

After searching out Jason Cromer on the LT1 board, I got his phone number at Sam Taylor where he works (1-877-726-8295, e-mail: parts@samtaylor.com) and ordered a non-vented Opti-Spark and two water pump gaskets for $329.00 shipped. After all of this work, the ol' bank account is about dead.

Andrew04ME, thanks for the link. Too bad I didn't have the dough or the time to install a vented Opti.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:47 AM

I called AZ, but they didn't know anything about the kit. They did have some aerosol TB cleaner, though. They said to just spray it in there and it would clean it. I don't know. Nothing seems to be that easy.

Just think, I started out with the simple problem of my car running poorly under 2500 RPM. Almost $1000 later I still have the same problem (but haven't instaled my new O2 sensors or installed my new Opti yet).
Old 08-30-2004, 10:49 AM

i think he is referring to seafoam cleaner---- do a search online... im not sure what i think of it...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:32 PM

I don't know too much about it but I'll find out later. My friend that I work with is a mechanic, and he had told me about it. Said there is possibly a build-up on the throttle body plate and it isn't allowing enough air through at that position. I'll find out more info. He just told me that they 'might' have it at Autozone. I'm probably going to put my fuel filter on today if I have time.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:49 PM

Okay, I feel like I have been reading this thread about as long as you have been trying to figure out your problem. A few things popped into my head that you can try cleaning that should help. Do a search on these as there have been many a write-up on them. 1. Seafoam the throttle body. 2. Clean your MAF (you had no air filter, it needs it). 3. Clean your MAP sensor. Even if these don't solve your problem, your car will like you even more.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:11 PM

Was this a gradual problem or did it just "appear" ? If it just appeared then he's right you may need a bit of cleaning under there!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:21 PM

I got my SLP CAI today. When I put it on I'll clean the MAF and MAP sensors and spray some seafoam into the TB. I also got a 180* thermostat that I will install at the same time.

Of course, I still need to install my O2 sensors...

I'll update y'all Thursday.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:47 PM

The more I read on the LT1 forum, the more I see how many people are having my same problem; the more I see that people never get it fixed. There is one thread that has over 10,000 views and 350 replies. No fix. That's scary.

I'm starting to think that no matter how much money I throw at this thing, it will never run right again. The problem is, I can't sell it this way, even for the $3000 I'm asking! Who would want this curse?

Can the car fairy come and just ding my car with her magic wand and make it better? PLEASE?!?

I know, I haven't changed my O2s or Opti, or cleaned my TB, MAF or MAP. I haven't replaced my ERG valve or my throttle position sensor. But, how many people on this board have done all of those things and all of the things that I have done and are still having this problem? 100? 200? 400? More?

Of course, I can't just quit paying for my car and I can't get another without paying for this one first. I have to keep replacing stuff until it is fixed. So far, I have spent 100% of my paycheck and 100% of my savings on trying to fix this problem. Seriously, I'm out of money! I won't have any more money for 9 days!!! if I didn't have a $300 overdraft, I would be eating with mom and dad!

Why aren't I driving a Z06?! It would cost me half as much!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:20 AM

Man, I feel bad for you. I think you should just keep going, slowly but surely, it will get fixed.

Just an idea...If you want to try and save some cash, look on ebay for some of these parts. Especially if your going to sell the car anyway. I have an LS1 and haven't bought a "new" replacement part yet. I always find some dude who's parting out a 02 and get my parts way cheaper than new and they work fine, they may not last as long or come with a warranty, but for the price, who cares.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:55 PM

Dude, dude, dude, dude, DUDE, chill out... You've only knocked out about 2 of 10 possible causes! Don't get discouraged, you'll slap a part on there one day and your Z'll be spinnin more tires than ever before!

I say go with replacing the Opti first, Then the O2's... I take it you're not getting an SES right? I say Opti first if problem persists get it scanned because you may have hidden codes. If the O2's don't work, It could be a bad EGT Valve. If that doesn't work I'd start looking more into drivetrain, or internals issues. A car can't just lose 100 HP for no apparent reason, you'll get it fixxed dude. I however do recommend in the case that you have since you don't know what's ailing your car, to get refundable, or atleast warrantied parts. Oh yes, definately try cleaning your TB, it may have developed a dead spot since it was running with no filter. Heck without running a filter for THAT long I'm surprised your car's still running. Did you see the post where the guy got a rock stuck in his TB WHILE running a filter?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 09-01-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:41 PM

Any luck???
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM

Nope.

Here is a 27 page thread that is identical to mine in every way. I read through 13 of the pages thoroughly, then went to the last two. I don't think anyone fixed their problem, besides one person (he cleaned his distributor, page 5 I think). There are several 10+ page threads like this one. On other, newer, threads like mine that I am running across I am just PMing the guys who started them and asking if they got them fixed. So far, zero out of three have fixed this problem. Well, one of them had their engine blow up, and they replaced everything at the same time, but I'm not counting him.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...2&page=1&pp=15

No longer am I seeking to resolve my issue. I am at -$273, am have no desire to spend another nickel on this car. I don't even want to put gas in it. If I don't sell the car soon, I'm going to look into an alternative method for getting rid of it.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:46 PM

I had some 'luck' at 2am this morning when driving home from work. My SES light came on... so now I have a code to work with to diagnose this thing. I'll let you guys know when I get it scanned. It might be a few days, work all day today, tomorrow, sunday. Don't give up yet... it's a PITA but there has to be something causing it.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sharpe
Nope.

Here is a 27 page thread that is identical to mine in every way. I read through 13 of the pages thoroughly, then went to the last two. I don't think anyone fixed their problem, besides one person (he cleaned his distributor, page 5 I think). There are several 10+ page threads like this one. On other, newer, threads like mine that I am running across I am just PMing the guys who started them and asking if they got them fixed. So far, zero out of three have fixed this problem. Well, one of them had their engine blow up, and they replaced everything at the same time, but I'm not counting him.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...2&page=1&pp=15

No longer am I seeking to resolve my issue. I am at -$273, am have no desire to spend another nickel on this car. I don't even want to put gas in it. If I don't sell the car soon, I'm going to look into an alternative method for getting rid of it.
That doesnt make much sense. So, rather than spend a few hundred more dollars and fix it, you are willing to sell it, spend unknown hundreds more to find a "better" car and then have something that might end up with just as many problems?

I'd think it would be better to fix your car, at least then you know what you have.

Quick Reply: Got Trounced by a 6 Cyl.