General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Gatorback belts worth the money ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Gatorback belts worth the money ?

Z28 5.7L 1999 Camaro Chirping from main belt. I have checked alignment of both belts and look ok, belt was squirted with a small amount of water and noise is gone. So I am about to replace both belts but as I live in Australia the cost from Rockauto for the Gatorback belts is expensive (postage).
Are these belts the ones to buy are they worth the money ?.
Graeme in OZ
Right hand drive Z28
Old 04-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Re: Gatorback belts worth the money ?

The Gatorback belts are good from what I have read. I would think your local AutoParts type stores would have other brand name belts that would work fine.

To remove dirt or buildup on the pulleys, what I would recommend is cleaning all the pulleys belt surfaces with brake cleaner or isopropyl alcohol. Using a tooth brush in grooves works well, and rags on smooth surfaces.

Also, check your spring loaded takeup pulley to make sure it is working correctly to keep proper tension on the belt.

Last edited by gaedbo; 04-01-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 PM

I thought Goodyear had stopped making Gatorback belts. If you can get one, get it.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 PM

Wink Re: Gatorback belts worth the money ?

Yes you are correct it's now Continental Elite. My car is in the garage most of the time and the engine compartment is very clean, but I will check everything while im at it, Thanks.
I would like to try these type of belts, as all the reports I have seen are all positive. Rockauto sell them and I am now just checking which ones to buy, I think they are the Continental 4060790 for the power steering alternator and water pump and the 4040410 for the air conditioning.
as it is not used much I think the old ones (about 5 years old) might have gone hard I will also check the tension pulleys while im at it.

Postage to Australia is very expensive and I just dont want to make a mistake.

Continental

Graeme in OZ

Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 PM

my car squeaked like crazy, I tried new belts, belt dressing, new tensioner, nothing worked. This was like 8 years ago. I finally got a Gatorback belt, was Goodyear back then, not Continental as someone else pointed out and it has been silent ever since. I just got one of the continentals for my 2011 Buick Regal Turbo that was squeaking and it is now whisper quiet. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:29 AM

Cool Re: Gatorback belts worth the money ?

There in and quiet !! all good Thanks Guys

Graeme in Australia