General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 AM

Front license plate

Hello, I recently purchased a 96' Z28 that does not have a front license plate bracket. I live in Iowa which requires two plates and am wondering if anyone has been bothered by the police for not having two plates in states that supposedly require them. I know I can get a front plate bracket and I had one on a 93' I used to own but I am not in a big rush to get this added unless I will have difficulties with the p.d.

By the way, I have been reading a lot of posts on this website over the last month and there is a lot of great info here which has already helped me with my vehicle.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:42 AM

Re: Front license plate

I also live in Iowa, when I got my car I decided to take it off. I havn't been bothered yet. If I did get pulled over they could get me for quite a lot....window tint, front turning signals blacked out, rear marker lights painted white, no front plate, exhaust...ect

I personally wouldn't worry about it. As long as you dont cause a lot of trouble in the car you should be ok.

CmanZ28

PS maybe this summer we could meet up and go for a cruise or something.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:16 AM

Im in Illinois and they require a plate front and rear. I bought my car in Michigan that only requires one in the rear. So right when I bought the car I put the bracket on. Next week I swear I saw 3 Camaros with no bracket and the plate taped in their window. If I was you I would just put it in your window until a cop has a problem with it.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:45 AM

I live in CA, which requires two plates, and my front plate just sits in my trunk. If I get pulled over for it, I'll just explain that I use zip ties to hold it on, but some punk kids cut them off and I haven't had a chance to run to Wal-Mart yet to buy new zip ties.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:41 PM

If its required then you are taking a chance to get stopped and cited.....
Old 03-03-2006, 12:52 PM

I live in Wisconsin, and they do require 2 plates.

That being said, I have never had a front license plate on any Camaro I have ever owned. I purchased my first Camaro in 1990.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 PM

Gerb, if you want one, let me know, I am taking the one off my 95 and would be willing to sell it to you.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:14 PM

i wouldnt put one on. i had one on my first z28 bc i was scared of getting a ticket. my 2nd and 3rd z28 i had, i took the plates off. and would never think about putting them on..

fbody's without LP> fbody's with LP

by the way. i've gotten pulled over plenty of times.. the police officer will walk to the front of the car. see that theres no LP. and walk to the back to get my LP # and usually say nothing about it. i've gotten 1-2 warnings for not having one. but its been a couple yrs since they've said anything about it.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Never had a problem with it. I was told as long as there are no holes for a plate, your ok. BTW, a plate in the front window can be ticketed as a deadly weapon.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:31 PM

ya i wouldnt advise people putting it in the windows. i think you are more likely to get pulled over for that.
bc true you can get ticketed for it being a deadly weapon(whotf would want a license plate flying around in there car if they get in a car accident.. not i)
also it shows that you know that your supposed to have a front license plate, but you just dont like how it looks so your giong to put one in your window instead.
at least if you dont have a LP on the front. you can act as though you never noticed that or something.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:55 PM

I also live in Iowa, and have never ran a front plate..no one in my family does. Cars look so much cleaner without them on the front. Specially f-bodys. Cops are much more interested in my window tint than if I've got a front plate.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I think for now I'll leave it in the car, eventually I'll probably put it on as my car isn't in show car condition. Jutt 26, thanks for the offer. Since the shipping would cost about half as much as the plate holder, I'll probably see if a friend of mine with a salvage business can hook me up.

dz
Old 03-03-2006, 09:25 PM

its in my front window

ive been ticketed twice
its a fix it ticket. aint ****. get it signed off, take it to court
done
Old 03-04-2006, 02:56 AM

Funny thing, when I bought my 96 used and it has the plastic front plate holder, but I've never put a plate in front. From what I hear...true or not...front license plate could be something they add to another ticket when the pull you over, but you'd be hard pressed to get a cop to stop you just for that...unless you're just drawing attention to yourself by driving around a parking lot with open cutouts for no reason at all.

I've gotten pulled over twice for speeding tickets...not my fault, of course...everyone else on the road was 10 mph below the speed limit, so it only looked like I was speeding. Big conspriracy. Cop never said anything about the front plate. Then again, cops were always behind me. I think it's kinda bogus to require them, because if you look at the Porches and Vettes...there's no where to even put the front plate without making it look stupid. Not fair if those cars get away without front plates, and our cars don't.

I'd say don't worry about it...if you get pulled over, probably a "fix it" ticket anyways.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:32 AM

I've never put a plate on my Z in the year since I bought it, never been ticketed for it. Been pulled over a few times, and the cop never said a thing about it. I'd leave it off until you get pulled over for it. Looks much better without it.

Quick Reply: Front license plate