General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Exhaust Question

Hi, I just bought this car:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4526351203

and I'm quite afraid that the exhaust will be too loud for me to stand. I do not have the car in my possession yet, but here's what I know as far as the exhaust system goes:

Edelbrock Headers which attach to 4” Exhaust
Muffler Bypass to convert to straight headers

I want the car to be as quiet as possible without sacrificing much power, so what I'm asking for is muffler recommendations. I cannot answer any questions about exactly what the exhaust system is, I just know what I've been told. I should be able to get the car here to take a good look at it in 1-2 weeks, so I'll try to be a little more specific then. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:06 PM

Re: Exhaust Question

I don't think you will ever get a car making 550rwhp to be quiet. That cam is going to lope like crazy. You can throw a catalytic converter on it and then use a factory style muffler but that still wouldn't do it.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:09 PM
n2oblkz

If the car really is making 550 rwhp, which I am not doubting that it is, I would just want ot dyno it personally, not just for numbers but to make sure that you have a good A/F ratio and tune before you run the beast hard. Anyway, with that much HP, I would suggest getting a set of long tube headers and ditching the shorties. Then use a 3 inch Y pipe and a 3 inch exhaust system. SLP makes a good flowing 3 inch exhaust that is pretty quiet except at wide open throttle. You might want to also consider the Mufflex 4 inch with the Spin Tech mufflers, they are fairly calm also. I have also seen setups where guys make their own 3 inch using an aftermarket I pipe, over the axle pipe and use a Borla XR1 and have it exit on the drivers side. I have never heard this system but I bet it sounds good and should flow well also. I have pics and the info on the parts which are fairly cheap. Email or PM me if you want the pics or info.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:28 PM

umm, you just bought a track car... and now you want it quiet? I am not trying to flame, but if you buy a car like that, it is going to be loud. It sounds like it has a bypass and if it is electric, it will be quieter when the cutout is not open. Still, a track car will be loud.

Last edited by Plague; 02-20-2005 at 07:30 PM.