General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Everything Is ****ed Now!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:53 PM

Everything Is ****ed Now!!

I just called my local shop, JBA, and they told me that my Midlenths were not legal and would not fit without having to move the converter. I thought they were legal, the reason I bought them and thought that they were was becuase they said 50 states legal AND had the correct Executive Order number right on the headers. I'm so ****ed now. I almost want to put my car back together and forget the whole thing, the credit card I made the purchase of the headers with was lost, and I cancelled it today. My car is sitting in front of my house with most of the components off, and was waiting for header bolts to come so thast the car could be towed to a shop so my headers could be put on. But now it's all ****ed. ****.

FYI:It is my daily driver, It must pass smog.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 11-28-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Re: Everything Is ****ed Now!!

i believe mac mid lengths are legal, even come with a high flow cat setup.

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...?ProductID=172
Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM

CA has some strict *** laws for cars..

Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 11-28-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM

I live in a green belt zone of CA, so it is stricter than other parts of CA.

If I can figure out how to return them, i guess I'd ahve to look at these:

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...?ProductID=629

This is where I purchased the ones I have now:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

Now that I've seen the pacesetter site, it doesn't say 50 states legal.

I think I'm done with headers now, too much bull**** to go through for my engine in where I live.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Was CA one of the states that wasn't part of the "50 states legal"?
How many states do you think there are?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bud M
How many states do you think there are?
****! Brain exploded there I guess.. I kept thinking 52 because of Hawaii and Alaska

my bad
Old 11-28-2005, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
****! Brain exploded there I guess.. I kept thinking 52 because of Hawaii and Alaska

my bad

Old 11-28-2005, 11:50 PM

I don,t care how nice San Diego is (and it is nice there I will admit) a true gearhead cannot survive in california unless your old school, 1972 or earlier. With the draconian smog laws there I would move to almost anywhere else. It would really suck to not be able to pursue my passion while sitting on a bench drenched in the perfect weather for hot rodding. Good luck, there are smog legal headers out there.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:15 AM

I feel your pain, I was going through similar trouble trying to get my long tubes to pass..
Old 11-29-2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by revtime
I don,t care how nice San Diego is (and it is nice there I will admit) a true gearhead cannot survive in california unless your old school, 1972 or earlier. With the draconian smog laws there I would move to almost anywhere else. It would really suck to not be able to pursue my passion while sitting on a bench drenched in the perfect weather for hot rodding. Good luck, there are smog legal headers out there.

Unlessssss.....you know someone that lives in a non smog area, like me. This is for marc too. I'm up in the bay area, so I would be screwed too, but my dad lives in Lake County, up north a bit, but still in California. That area is so clean, that there is no annual smog (what logic huh? ). You must smog before you register, but after that you never have to worry about it till you go to sell your car. You will run into problems if a cop inspects it though, but if you can cover up your headers (that heat wrap stuff) and run cats you might be able to fool them. Al my dad has for a mail address is a p.o. box

You have a couple of choices though. Since they're advertised 50 state lega and they aren't maybe you can return them. If you want to try and see if you can do what I'm doing, try to find out if there is anywhere remotely near you that is like Lake County. See if you have friends/family there. If not, you can possibly open a P.O. box since that's all that's neccesary as long as you are able to check up on it often enough. Lot of trouble I know, but if it works out you're set. No more $70 smogs every 2 years too.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Well my dad saw how overwhelmed I was and stepped in to help me. I'm sending it to JBA racing and they will find whatever headers will work and put them on, my dad will help me pay. And I'm sure he won't let me forget that I'll owe him =P. I'm not doing anymore work on it, he's paying for them to put it back together, which I was originally going to do after the headers where installed. Soon, this will all be over. I feel a large weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. It's surprising how easily stress from it just kept building and building.

And thanks for the tip blackrat, I didn't know all you needed was a p.o. box, I was under the impression you needed to buy friggin land in a non-smog area!

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 11-29-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Soooo, now they figured out that my mids will bolt up perfectly. All that grief for nothing. lol.