General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

---->Electrical gods please help<------ Power Locks, Lights, & keyless

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:58 PM

---->Electrical gods please help<------ Power Locks, Lights, & keyless

Alright - I need some help - Im not the best at troubleshooting electrical.

About a year ago I had some water standing in the front and rear floor boards of the car. Was in there maybe 1-3 weeks? Not sure. I dont drive the car often and I used to live in FL - Lets just say that there is a design flaw with the 4th gens in that it is not designed to be parked backwards on an inclined driveway - otherwise rain will run over the top of the qtr channels along the hatch area and up under the plastic into the interior of the car.

Threw away all the old carpet, tried to remedie any and all rust although I noticed a new spot I will need to sand and primer - Just a little spot though. Id I did pretty well for looking at it a year later and not having any rust issues on the pan.

Anyways, 2 or 3 electrical items dont work.

I have the Power lumbar seats (AQ9) - neither of those will fire up at the moment.

I have a broken/corroded electrical connector under the driver seat I need to rewire and I have no idea what the connection is for? Im guessing for the interior lights? As the interior lights do not work - ie the ones under the mirror, glove box etc. (This connection was actually sittin in the water - the connector you see in the foreground for the lumbar seats was not wet although the wires were in the water)

Heres a pic of the electrical connection.

My power locks do not work at all. When I push the switch on either the passenger side or driver side I hear a clicking noise such as possibly a relay? Cant tell and Ive got pictures to show where the noise is coming from.

Also - besides the clicking I hear from the power locks when pushing on the switch - as long as the key is in the acc or run position I hear a seperate clicking coming from the same general area - again possibly a relay trying to work? Cant tell and I dont want to tear the dash apart unless I know what Im going after.

But when the key is taken out of the ignition - this clicking only stays on for 15-30 mins - not sure of the time, but Im pretty sure it corresponds to how long items such as the dome light will stay on incase you accidentally leave it on so you dont run down the battery - You know the feature Im talking about, say you forget to shut your door, and the dome light is on - it wont stay on forever as the car will automatically cut the power after a certain length of time.

And as an aside my keyless does not work and hasnt worked for a while - it would work sporadically some time ago (have replaced key fob battery) and cleaned off connections in key fob...and it just eventually quit working - will try another key fob to troubleshoot if I can find the programming instructions for one.

Thanks for all your help

Also anyone live in Wichita that would help me figure out whats wrong? Id be more than willing to supply any and all beverages and help you out on a project or two that you need done.

Last edited by 1996 WS6 TA; 06-09-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Would love to help and stop in on my way home since I'm in KC right now but I got my 3 daughters w/ me.

How far up did the water go? Find any/all connectors that got submerged in water and clean them up if you can; if not, replace them. I bought some OEM connectors w/ pigtails from a guy on Ebay recently. I can try and look him up if you like, maybe he could help you with new connectors if that's what you want to do.