General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Edelbrock Carb. Tuning Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:22 PM

Edelbrock Carb. Tuning Help!!!

Hey Guys I have an 305 carbed and she is running rich as hell, i mean when i hit the gas to the floor WOT, u see black smoke like crazy for like 10 ft. and when my buddy was cruising behind me the other day with his windows open and sunroof open, he could feel the fuel hitting his contacts. I need some serious help tuning this carb. i need to know which screw is for fuel and which is for air, i already know where to hook up a vac guage, and I know which is for the idle. please thanks guys
Nick
Mr. Wolf
Old 04-27-2006, 03:23 AM

Re: Edelbrock Carb. Tuning Help!!!

Doesn't WOT rely on the jets?
Old 04-27-2006, 07:22 AM

If you had a holley you would probaly get alot of help! I am not really confident on the edelbrock carbs, as I have only messed with one, but it sounds like an accelerator pump problem at wot, atleast thats what it sounds like if it was a holley carb. But I am not sure how to adjust the edelbrock accel pump. I think you need to make it squirt a bit less fuel. I am not sure if the edelbrock has changable accel pump squirters but you could also try a smaller one which will squirt the fuel over a longer period of time, less at once. I am not sure on this, but I think on the edelbrock that the screw adjustments only deal with your idle circuit, which is active at wot but it is trumped by the accel pump and the cruise circuit, which is where jetting comes in. I think the edelbrock uses metering rods, but there are different styles. After you try messing with the accel pump, if it uses mettering rods, step up a few sizes to decrease fuel, if jets, step down a few. Also, another question I guess I should ask, is this a temporary problem, or is it sustained while cruising? Temp would point to accel pump, sustained would point to jetting. You should probaly change or atleast clean your plugs now too. If you need anymore help (if this even helps) feel free to email me at snod83@gmail.com

Good Luck,
Ryan
Old 04-27-2006, 11:37 AM

this isn't a qjet edelebrock this is just an edelbrock carb, no electronics circuits nothing like that except the choke. i removed the conections for that pos last year
Old 04-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Wolf
this isn't a qjet edelebrock this is just an edelbrock carb, no electronics circuits nothing like that except the choke. i removed the conections for that pos last year
He doesn't mean electronic circuits. The different functions on a carb (idle, cruise, etc., mechanical or otherwise) are referred to as circuits.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM

there are two torx bits holding down an oblong plate on each side of the carb, under these are the metering rods attached to springs, pull out the metering rods and let me know what numbers they have on them. chances are that you are running too thin of metering rods
Old 04-27-2006, 02:37 PM

actually i forgot that the springs arent connected to the rods, only a cup that goes over, but let me know what color the springs are.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 PM

just buy the calibration kit for the carb you have, there only about $50 and come with instruction book and parts to tune it to your combo, Its really easy to do

Wade