General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Dont think its getting any gas, help ASAP....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:39 PM

Exclamation Dont think its getting any gas, help ASAP....

Last night the car drove perfect all night, no problems. But this morning when i tried to start her up for work, it wouldnt fire up. The engine would turn over good, but wouldnt fire.

So the first thing i did was check to see if it would fire up with a little starting fluid.....and it did, but i only sprayed it for a couple seconds.

So the problem must be that its not getting any gas, right?

What parts should i check first or replace? Or should i just take it somewhere to get fixed?

I need to get it running again asap, because i have work and school starting on monday

Please help!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 02:35 AM

Re: Dont think its getting any gas, help ASAP....

If it is a no fuel problem I guess it could possibly be a few things

1 - no gas?

2 - bad fuel pump or blown fuel pump fuse?

3 - clogged line/filter?

4 - fuel line off/broken?
Old 08-28-2004, 08:47 AM

You need a pressure test gauge to rule out fuel delivery problems.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lunch Box
If it is a no fuel problem I guess it could possibly be a few things

1 - no gas?

2 - bad fuel pump or blown fuel pump fuse?

3 - clogged line/filter?

4 - fuel line off/broken?

It has a half tank of gas, and i do have a new fuel filter here so i can put that on. From the things you mentioned, what would be most likely to break or stop working overnight?

I'm going to get a fuel pump fuse right now too.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:01 AM

A quick check you can do is have a buddy turn the key to the on position while you are under the back of the car. When the key is in the on position, you should hear the fuel pump kick on for the first few seconds. If the pump doesnt kick on then you have a wiring/fuse/relay problem. If the pump does kick on, then you need to get the fuel pressure gauge out.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
A quick check you can do is have a buddy turn the key to the on position while you are under the back of the car. When the key is in the on position, you should hear the fuel pump kick on for the first few seconds. If the pump doesnt kick on then you have a wiring/fuse/relay problem. If the pump does kick on, then you need to get the fuel pressure gauge out.

Right when i read this we went out and gave it a try......The first time we tried, the engine sputtered a little bit but wouldnt start...and right after he turned the key back i heard the long clicking noise. So we tried it again, and the car fired up and stayed on, and idles. We didnt change anything since yesterday so i dont know what made it run today???

Should i replace the fuel pump relay?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:48 AM

It doesnt sound like the relay to me. It almost sounds like the pump. Unfortunalty, its hard to get a definate answer without a fuel pressure gauge and some other special tools. And I dont think that you would want to pull the tank without a lift.......well at least I wouldnt.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
It doesnt sound like the relay to me. It almost sounds like the pump. Unfortunalty, its hard to get a definate answer without a fuel pressure gauge and some other special tools. And I dont think that you would want to pull the tank without a lift.......well at least I wouldnt.
you dont need a lift to get to the pump. cut an acess hatch above the pump. ive seen alot of people do it and theyre is plenty of info on how to do it.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:28 PM

It ran for a day, then it seems like the same thing happened again, or something else....

I started the car up and was going up a hill and when i let off the gas...the throttle stuck at about halfway, so i hit the brakes but that didnt slow too much, so i put it in neutral and it revved up so i shut it off. When i tried to start it after that, it wouldnt start...just like a couple days ago.

So my friend tried to start it and i listened for the fuel pump but i didnt hear anything, we tried it a few times.......So it sat parked somewhere for the night.

Today i went back to see if it would start and for the first 2 or 3 tries lots of black smoke came out the exhaust pipes, but then it stopped and no smoke came out at all after that.

I guess it's the fuel pump then?...