General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Do I really need anything else besides springs to lower my car???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:42 PM

Question Do I really need anything else besides springs to lower my car???

I'm thinking of lowering my car w/BMR's just an inch and I thought that was all i needed....but on Thunder racing they have a complete kit...and it got me thinking that if i just lowered it with springs would it throw camber and everything off if i didn't get the panhard rod and lca brackets etc.

so what do i need.....i want the car to be the exact same as it is now stock height after i lower it an inch..ex: i dont' want it to prematurely wear the tires etc...b/c i didn't do all the right things

-thanks guys
Old 12-30-2004, 07:10 PM

Re: Do I really need anything else besides springs to lower my car???

The rear end will be shifted to one side when you lower it. That is the reason for the panhard rod. It will recenter the rear end.

The front camber will most likely be off, but nothing that a simple alignment job won't fix.

The LCA relocation brackets will help prevent wheel hop once it's lowered, but are not absolutely necessary, but advised.

Dan
Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 PM

how far do you want to lower it, i think it will depend on how much lower you plan on going with it.

if its only like 1.5 inches, or even a inch i wouldnt see why you would need a pan hard rod, h*** the car would be lower than that with a few big girls on board

so,, how low u trying to go?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 PM

LCA relocation brackets are all you really need. Unless you did something radically wrong you have no need for a panhard bar let alone an adjustable one. Some will argue that its moved off center. But if its not dog tracking your fine. Ive lowered more cars then I care to explain over the last 30 years. I still cut stock springs even did on my 02 and have never had a problem. These kits are for those who dont really know what they are doing. Some just believe what they are told or have read someplace. Save your money, buy springs use the stock lower control arms but do get an front end alignment and a set of relocation brackets the bolt on type work just fine. Actually the boltons work better then welded. You can always go back to stock.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 PM

okay so i've got some diff. opinions on this....first off OUR cars don't have a stock panhard rod on them???? I thought they had one for some reason.

okay i understand the front now just an alignment would be nessary...but for the rear i'm a lil confused now.....is it just a do and see what happens thing or just diff. opinions or what

one said i just need relocation brackets and nothing else....this is for wheel hop...as for wheel hop are we talking if i don't get these just everyday driving will be unbearable wheel hop or just for drag racing instances b/c this is pretty much a daily driver not dragged much

also i'm not totally uneducated in fbody's but can't understand why it would make one side of the car in the rear set per say lower than the other w/o a panhard rod

here's the deal....i've got a set of AFS 18x9.5 Z06's getting ready to go on and i'm afraid when i put them on that there will be too much gap b/t the fender well and was wanting to lower it IF and only if it needed it b/c i already have GFX which makes it low anyways. I ONLY WANT 1 in. drop so for the guys that's done this what would you all suggest I get JUST BMR'S and do it or other things also???

thanks alot b/c you guys input has helped me for over 3 years now get to where i am on my mod list w/o any problems but i done all this kind of research before i modded anything just to know what i was getting into
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 PM

I cant say for tire size what anything will look like as to a "gap". But as for doing the rear end springs its an hour of less job. All it involves is jacking up the car on the frame then use a support under the rear end. Loosen up the shocks at the bottom and the LCAs. Lower the rear end support a few inches. The springs practically fall out themselves. The fronts alot more involved as you have to compress the springs. In my opinion all you need are a set of springs. Go to a decient shop pay them what they want under $200 and have it done in less then 90 minutes. No worry about your safety doing the front end. Then find a good shop that can do the front end alignment. And I dont mean Pep Boys. As for wheel hop. If you drive like a normal guy never nail it on uneven pavement have good roads in your area. Dont sweat it. Even stock Zs and SSs hop like mad. The panhard bar and stock lower control arms are fine as they are. You have to be a real monkey to have the rear end sway or move. All your doing is loosening shocks and the bottom part of the LCAs a few inches to allow the springs to come out. I lowered my car 1.5 inches and actually it doesnt look a heck of alot different now then before. I went from 28.5 inches to 27. Its not a big deal or a difficult mod. If you dont like it which I cant see why you wouldnt all your out is a couple of $$ for the springs and labor. As I said before Ive been cutting my stock springs for over 30 years. If you know someone who can do that for you the RIGHT way and you still dont like it. Get a take off set of springs from SLP for 50$ or whatever they charge these days and putem back. This isnt rocket science its simply a spring swap with minimal change to your cars apperance and ride. The ride change you wont even notice. You dont even need shocks unless yours are already shot. The spring rate is maybe 10 to 15% different then stock. The stock stuff will wear out faster but still last for thousands of miles. Buy a set of shocks if you need them NOW. Not just because youir doing the springs. Thats my .02 cents and thats all its worth. You can spend alot of $$$ or a few and still have the same results. Now after all this Ive said, we have very good roads down here and no big temperature changes. If I still lived in NY Id never change or lower my car. Not worth the crappy ride due to the crummy roads. I cant even go over a moderate speed bump at no miles an hour without scrapping my subframe connectors. So there is alot to consider before lowering your car but all these parts aint 1 of them. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by RUFST
okay so i've got some diff. opinions on this....first off OUR cars don't have a stock panhard rod on them???? I thought they had one for some reason.

okay i understand the front now just an alignment would be nessary...but for the rear i'm a lil confused now.....is it just a do and see what happens thing or just diff. opinions or what

one said i just need relocation brackets and nothing else....this is for wheel hop...as for wheel hop are we talking if i don't get these just everyday driving will be unbearable wheel hop or just for drag racing instances b/c this is pretty much a daily driver not dragged much

also i'm not totally uneducated in fbody's but can't understand why it would make one side of the car in the rear set per say lower than the other w/o a panhard rod

here's the deal....i've got a set of AFS 18x9.5 Z06's getting ready to go on and i'm afraid when i put them on that there will be too much gap b/t the fender well and was wanting to lower it IF and only if it needed it b/c i already have GFX which makes it low anyways. I ONLY WANT 1 in. drop so for the guys that's done this what would you all suggest I get JUST BMR'S and do it or other things also???

thanks alot b/c you guys input has helped me for over 3 years now get to where i am on my mod list w/o any problems but i done all this kind of research before i modded anything just to know what i was getting into
wow, im sure that all fbody camaros in 1996 had a panhard rod, actually i know that all of them from 1993-2002 had a factory panhard rod.

actually right now im even looking at it in my haynes manual, some might call it a track bar but it`s actually called a panhard bar.

why do you think that your car doesnt have one? what would locate the rear end from side 2 side?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by white/blackss
wow, im sure that all fbody camaros in 1996 had a panhard rod, actually i know that all of them from 1993-2002 had a factory panhard rod.

actually right now im even looking at it in my haynes manual, some might call it a track bar but it`s actually called a panhard bar.

why do you think that your car doesnt have one? what would locate the rear end from side 2 side?

no i didn't say that i didn't have one i said i didn't know if it came with one from the factory so thanks for letting me know i actually do have one...i figured i did tho.

as for the other posts thanks alot and that really helped make a decision for me
Old 12-31-2004, 11:16 PM

Wow man, you're still kicking the idea around about springs? Just put your wheels and tires on and see how it looks. If push comes to shove, drop it an inch. You'll never know untill you try.