General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Decided to swap 97+ console into 96

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:29 PM

Decided to swap 97+ console into 96

Well, I've had the last straw with this sh*tty cupholder, was drviing home tonight with a bottle of sprite in their, hit the breaks.. ... im guessing everyone knows the rest of this story or has heard stories.. ive only had my camaro for about a month but damn i split stuff all over the place after hitting the brakes tonight, ive been reading about doing the console switch and i think im ganna do it.. i can take this anymore.. anyone else hit the breaks and get liquid all over?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:05 PM

Re: Decided to swap 97+ console into 96

Eh... Have that problem in a 2001... Depends on the cup.. the rear cup holders are useless. The one that slides up for the passenger is very bad.. maybe a CAN of soda would fit nicely.. a bottle? no. but those have caps on them.

As for the main center one.. if you have a manual, whatever you put in there WILL get in your way. Bottles stay alright, but they'll get in your way. Never had a can or anything in there..
Old 08-28-2005, 12:32 AM

Really they arn't much better? i have an automatic so i wont be shifting to thru the gears.. ive heard that the cupholders in the 97+ are much better.. maybe i shouldnt waste the money on the new console haha
Old 08-28-2005, 01:02 AM

basically.. atleast you can say you have cupholders, i guess..

the rears are much too shallow to hold anything, really.. drinks just wobble around

the side opening one, any large drinks interefere with the side of the dash, where the radio is.. so the drink doesn't stand up-right.

The middle one is your best bet, then. It may just work for you.. I'm not sure how different your model console is, though. it can hold many sizes .. a normal sprite bottle squeezes pretty tight in it.

Also, be aware that if you do swap, there will be a pretty big gap between the console and the dash near the front.

again, if you use actual cans.. I think it'll be alright for you, I don't think i've ever used cans.
I would not trust fast-food drinks in any holder but the center.

Couple pictures.. should show it nicely (except for side, but you can see how the radio area would interefere

ftp://z28.no-ip.org:1621/MVC-690S.JPG

ftp://z28.no-ip.org:1621/MVC-691S.JPG

Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 08-28-2005 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:30 AM

the dash in my 96 is angled toward the driver.. im sure uve seen a pic, and if there was a hole there, do u think the side cupholder that slides out wuld be able to serve a purpose? just a few q's
Old 08-28-2005, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
basically.. atleast you can say you have cupholders, i guess..

the rears are much too shallow to hold anything, really.. drinks just wobble around

the side opening one, any large drinks interefere with the side of the dash, where the radio is.. so the drink doesn't stand up-right.

The middle one is your best bet, then. It may just work for you.. I'm not sure how different your model console is, though. it can hold many sizes .. a normal sprite bottle squeezes pretty tight in it.

Also, be aware that if you do swap, there will be a pretty big gap between the console and the dash near the front.

again, if you use actual cans.. I think it'll be alright for you, I don't think i've ever used cans.
I would not trust fast-food drinks in any holder but the center.

Couple pictures.. should show it nicely (except for side, but you can see how the radio area would interefere

ftp://z28.no-ip.org:1621/MVC-690S.JPG

ftp://z28.no-ip.org:1621/MVC-691S.JPG
The pass. side cup holder isn't too bad. Sometimes i use it as my main cupholder because it gets the cup out of the way of the shifter. I know my buddy does to. There are some cups that are made perfect for the passenger one and some that don't work at all. You could upgrade to TA door panels then you get cup holders in the door panel too, and they work great.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:13 PM

the rubber sleeve in the cupholder seems to hold things in well, before I found that when I got my car I lost a large sprite from taco bell all over the carpet, since then I really havnt had any problems....although I hardly ever have a drink in the car, its most just a change holder
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Hey, I am very interested in doing the swap as well into my 94 Formula. Anyone have any pics of the conversion - I'm curious about this gap. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SixSpeedShifter
Hey, I am very interested in doing the swap as well into my 94 Formula. Anyone have any pics of the conversion - I'm curious about this gap. Thanks.
There is no gap on TA's or Firebirds. You guys dash is very similar to the 97+ Camaros and almost identical to 97+ Birds. I'm currently running a 93 TA dash in my car with a 97+ console. There are pics on the 4th page of my sig.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:29 PM

I have an Owens Corning cup(with the Pink Panther on it!) that fits PERFECTLY in my 94 console. The base of it doesn't seat into the center, but between the side of the cup and the handle it gets squeezed into place nicely and won't move much at all. I'll try to get a pic of it in there some time.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 PM

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/console.htm

has the how-to

Pretty sure that's the final product... huge gap
Old 08-29-2005, 01:18 PM

the hole doesnt seem that big, i saw a post somewhere where someone had bolted on a storage try or something right below the dash wherer the gap is.. it filled it in nice and was an extra storage space.. does anyone know for sure if the center cup holder is actaully better..
Old 08-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by InViSiBleViCTiM
the hole doesnt seem that big, i saw a post somewhere where someone had bolted on a storage try or something right below the dash wherer the gap is.. it filled it in nice and was an extra storage space.. does anyone know for sure if the center cup holder is actaully better..
Yes the center cup holder is very deep and works well. People just complain that its right behind the shifter. If i'm driving around sipping on a drink, i'm probably not banging through the gears.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:12 PM

I have an automatic, so i wont be shifting very often.. The cups are in the way with my console now but htey dont even fit and fly out if i hit the brakes.. i just need something thats ganna hold a damn cup
Old 12-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Yup been there. Had a tall glass of sweet tea which was top heavy. The first red light I got and that was it. I spent weeks cleaning the sticky crap out of it. It's still a mess under the shifter console. Oh and also dont spill baby formula in ur floor board. U talkin about smelly and sticky.

Looks like someone owns a Sony Mavica, lol I got one 2. I'm bored sry, just killing time.

Last edited by cdcamaro95383; 12-16-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Decided to swap 97+ console into 96