General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Cold air intake ... what about refrigerated air intake?

Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 AM

Cold air intake ... what about refrigerated air intake?

Not sure if anyone has ever thought of this ....

ok, the concept behind Cold Air Intake is to provide a cooler more dense air charge from under the car right?

Well, what about refrigerated air? Has anyone thought up a way to get really 'cold' air into your air box without relying on the winter months? That way you wouldn't have to rely on putting all kinds of kinks, bends and turns into your air intake system to get the 'colder' air from beneath the car and getting all kinds of garbage in your air filter?

it might be a good idea if there could be a way to somehow refrigerate or 'cool down' a car's air intake box. make it colder so that colder air comes through it? using the engine vaccum along with a radiator to run cool air into the motor? Use the exhaust system to heat and pressurize freon gas? Peltier cooler?

The only reason i bring this up is because i notice that during the winter my car's motor (LT1 z28) may get hot, but my car feels SO much torquier and like it has more top end pull etc etc - i just dont know if anyone has ever seen or done anything like this ... if anyone has any thoughts on this theory it'd be great to hear! or maybe i'm just stupid! heh

thanks!
Old 07-06-2004, 05:57 AM

They sell CRY02 kits if you type in Cryogenics. I foundThis site but there is another that I have saved on my home computer I'll post it when I get home...The other one is for N/A motors and has a kit for your radiator fuel lines and air intake all fed from one nitrogen bottle. The compressed nitrogen flows through them at sub zero temps to cool the fuel air ect. Here it is Cryo2

Last edited by Jeremy_30th; 07-06-2004 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 AM

The Ford lightning concept truck did this. It used the air conditioning system and they called it the "super cooler" or somethign like that.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 AM

nitrous seems to cool well......................
Old 07-06-2004, 11:06 PM

anyone have guesstimates on what kind of power (normally aspirated) this would give? It'd probably give more HP on a LT1 simply due to the fact that the intake manifold on a LT1 gets REALLY REALLY REALLY HOT (those with LT1's can vouch for me on that one). Oh wait, i just read that it uses CO2 and has to be refilled (the CRY02 item) .... that sucks - if anyone knows how you could get a constant 'always on' setup that'd be cool...

thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by FlyBono24
I was wondering what was so funny but I think I realized what you were laughing at "The purge effect" that is some dumb $hit
Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by falchulk
The Ford lightning concept truck did this. It used the air conditioning system and they called it the "super cooler" or somethign like that.
I thought about that but the power you waste operating the a/c probably aint worth it.. I dunno, guess some dyno time would be needed. I do think the CRYo2 for your intake and fuel lines would be beneficial for the strip and maybe those ricer imports can add some hp with the "purge effect"
Old 07-07-2004, 01:35 PM

you could shoot a mist of water into the intake stream. that would effectively bring the air temps down alot and show you a gain.

but you would need to pull water from a tank..

water, once in a mist form will not hydrolock your engine.. so it is safe.

I was going to partner in on this project once but felt trying to sell the concept of "water in your intake" would be way to hard to the stupid people.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by psychocabbage
you could shoot a mist of water into the intake stream. that would effectively bring the air temps down alot and show you a gain.

but you would need to pull water from a tank..

water, once in a mist form will not hydrolock your engine.. so it is safe.

I was going to partner in on this project once but felt trying to sell the concept of "water in your intake" would be way to hard to the stupid people.
There are a few water injection systems avilable for the ricer crowd. Likely a kit out there that would work on our cars as well.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:06 PM

Re: Cold air intake ... what about refrigerated air intake?

I have thought about it for a few years. We can refrigerate the air and condense the air to a much higher oxygen level by shrinking it down to the saturation level. I have thought that the air conditioner was the best source. I did the psychometric a on how much the air will be condensed on a normal summer day in San Diego. I will look for where I put it and share with you. It can really increase the oxygen intake and resulting horsepower!

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
Not sure if anyone has ever thought of this ....

ok, the concept behind Cold Air Intake is to provide a cooler more dense air charge from under the car right?

Well, what about refrigerated air? Has anyone thought up a way to get really 'cold' air into your air box without relying on the winter months? That way you wouldn't have to rely on putting all kinds of kinks, bends and turns into your air intake system to get the 'colder' air from beneath the car and getting all kinds of garbage in your air filter?

it might be a good idea if there could be a way to somehow refrigerate or 'cool down' a car's air intake box. make it colder so that colder air comes through it? using the engine vaccum I have thought about it a lot. Refrigerate along with a radiator to run cool air into the motor? Use the exhaust system to heat and pressurize freon gas? Peltier cooler?

The only reason i bring this up is because i notice that during the winter my car's motor (LT1 z28) may get hot, but my car feels SO much torquier and like it has more top end pull etc etc - i just dont know if anyone has ever seen or done anything like this ... if anyone has any thoughts on this theory it'd be great to hear! or maybe i'm just stupid! heh

thanks!