General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Coated or Stainless

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:00 PM

Coated or Stainless

I realize that stainless steel headers cost alot more then ceramic coated. Before i purchase stainless steel i would like to know why there so good besides looks. Does stainless heat up slow or hold in heat ?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:36 AM

I have QTP headers which are stainless. I have seen coated headers rust after 3 months on a car. But here info on stainless steel right off QTPs site.

Stainless steel is non-magnetic, a quality that makes them very important in the aerospace industry. Compared to mild steel, stainless steel has superior high temperature characteristics. It is an excellent material for headers and any application where high heat is encountered.

You may have heard talk about maintaining high exhaust velocity and increase scavenging by covering headers with a thermal wrap. In addition, there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some type of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside the exhaust system.

Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.

Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector.

This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency. 304 stainless steel has excellent high temperature fatigue resistance in enclosed application and does a darn good job of living in this hostile environment better than any other material.

These many characteristics, such as superior heat retention properties, high temperature fatigue resistance, and to a lesser extent, the cosmetic value of a non-rusting finish, combine to make stainless steel an ideal choice for headers. Our system will produce more horsepower and last "'til the cows come home"

Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:46 AM

thank you thats exactly what i was looking for.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:01 AM

but aside for the advertisement info..

Stainless Steel does start to become brittle over time with heat. I have seen several stainless steel exhaust just start to break apart due to heat and time.

Ceramic coating when done from a reputable company should not rust as ceramic doesnt rust.

Contact Jet-Hot and they will send ya a pretty informative video.

One system was an SLP unit on my friends 1991 Z28 the other was on my Porsche..

This is often on Cat back type of systems but I felt I should inform ya just in case.

In any case, it doesnt matter much if you just plan on keeping your car a couple years like most.. But if you plan on keeping it for 10+ then it will become an issue.

I must add that the cars were also daily drivers. They werent weekend only cars and here in Houston you can drive your car all year long as we dont have snow.

I state this so you will realize the reality that most people forget about "million mile warranty" claims.

IF your car is your only means of transportation to and from work and you have no other way to get to work and suddenly find your exhaust has broken, what then?

The exhaust company often would like you to ship your exhuast back to them. So how do you get to work without exhaust on your car?
Old 05-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Banned

ceramic coating won't rust

it does discolor, and get covered with crap that LOOKS like rust ... however it won't rust
Old 05-29-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by psychocabbage
The exhaust company often would like you to ship your exhuast back to them. So how do you get to work without exhaust on your car?
Yeah, you'll have to ship the "defective" exhaust back to them but before you do, they'll send you a replacement. At least that's how Corsa's warranty works.

Originally posted by anasazi
ceramic coating won't rust

it does discolor, and get covered with crap that LOOKS like rust ... however it won't rust
But if the coating chips or flakes off...the mild steel or even 409SS will rust. It'll just be surface rust though, I don't think you'll ever have to worry about having your headers fall apart because of rust (at least not for a long time).