General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car Wont Even Crank Over?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 AM

Angry Car Wont Even Crank Over?!?!?!

I started my car up a few times and drove around like normal earlier today and it was fine, a little slow starting the last two times but still fine. Then i went and played hockey for two hours and came out to start my car, but it wouldnt start. Electricity is on, everything works, lights on the dash all come on and then go out, but when i turn the key...NOTHING HAPPENS...and then wen i release the key the LOW TRAC and ABS INOP lights go on and then back off...what the hell is goin on??? my car is now stuck at the skating rink and i need help ASAP!!!!! its my daily driver...my thoughts are that the ignition control module just crapped out on me...someone PLEASE point me in the right direction bc i need my car back...also i need the part number for the ICM bc i want to pick one up tomorrow to replace it...i have a new opti (Delco), new plugs (NGK TR55s), new wires (Taylor), new coil (borg-warner), basically all new ignition except ICM....

Last edited by khojo16; 11-15-2006 at 02:32 AM.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:34 AM

does it click? you seem to be jumping past the basics, what does your volt gauge read? and when you turn the key, where does it go? started or starter solenoid and the wires leading to that came to my mind before anything else.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:54 AM

no click..no noise at all...just turn the key and silence....nothing happens...the starter and starter solenoid worked great 2 hours before this....battery has close to 13V with key in on position and when i turn it..it doesnt move at all...earlier it would read close to 13V and then back down for the crank and then up to 14 or 15 when driving....
Old 11-15-2006, 03:55 AM

had that problem. turns out the wires inside the cylinder broke, or something. I just bypassed the vats using a resister.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 AM

what is the easiest way to bypass with a resistor if that is my problem?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM

"a little slow starting the last two times" sounds like like a battery/connection/starter problem. Is the security light staying on? That indicates a VATs issue. Visit http://shbox.com and look in the how to's for passkeyII/VATS on how to troubleshoot/bypass it.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 PM

no security light at all, i have a brand new BCM in there and new key VATS system is fine and battery has 13V prior to start and is almost brand new
Old 11-15-2006, 01:45 PM

Had that same problem with mine last week. 96 M6, Havent completely located the problem but was able to get it started by jumpering the yellow and the purple wire on the anti theft relay. It bypasses the neutral safety start switch and the anti theft relay. When i have time i am going to go back and find the problem but for now that got me going. The anti theft relay is to the right of the glove box under the dash.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM

wut exactly did u do to jumper the wires??? I also just bought a new ICM and simply plugged it in without removing the old one and the new one was just sittin freely in the engine bay and it didnt nothing to help the car....does it need to be mounted where the old one was and be grounded??

Last edited by khojo16; 11-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM

UPDATE: I just installed the new ICM and the car still does not crank or anything...when i turn the key to start it, it acts like im not even pressin the clutch down, no crank, no click, nothing...i have three keys for this car, the two with resistors that match the BCM resistance, and one blank key for when i was going to bypass VATS before. Both keys with resistors do nothing, and the one blank key when i try to use that the security light flashes. Any ideas??? This is really startin to **** me off...and im guessin this rules out the VATS bc it notices the wrong key in the ignition, and it also rules out the ICM...

Last edited by khojo16; 11-15-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:19 PM

my car had a similar problem. slow to start and then one day it just wouldn't do it. however i had known my starter was going and thats eventually what it ended up being but it did have the same symptoms, if your car is a 6 speed try a push start or something just to see if it starts or not.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:28 PM

It could be the clutch switch gone bad, or the neutral safty switch. Try bypassing the anti theft relay. Just splice the hot and cold wires together and then splice the other 2 wires together. The relay could have went bad.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:16 PM

just push-started the car and got it home...starter is my problem thanks for all the help tho guys!!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:18 PM

Did you test the starter? I wouldnt buy one till you do. My car could be push started too. The factory service manual had a step by step procedure for diagnosing the no start condition i had. After checking the neutral start switch on the clutch it jumps to the anti theft relay, the only two circuits in between the ignition and the starter solenoid. When i jumpered the two wires at the anti theft relay it started. It said to use a 30 amp fuse in the jumper.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 AM

yeah i took the starter out last night and tested it...the solenoid in it is definitely bad bc when i bench tested it...the gear didnt kick over like it should to engage with the flywheel...the thing that sux is i got a new starter last night and installed it before i bench tested that one too...and i had to take that one back out bc it didnt work either...then i bench tested that one..and the solenoid in that one was also bad...so takin it back for another one today...

Quick Reply: Car Wont Even Crank Over?!?!?!