General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C System Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:07 AM

A/C System Repair Questions

I need to replace the compressor on my car, and aside from purchasing a new compressor, expansion valve, drier, o-rings, and orifice tube (is there more than one?), is there anything else that I may need?
Also, how would I go about making sure that the lines/condenser/evaporator are all clean so that I don't contaminate the new equipment? I have heard people say to vacuum out the system, but I don't have a way to take it to a shop, so is there a way to do it at home?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Here is some info on how to flush the system. http://www.autoacforum.com/messagevi...&threadid=9172 I've used this site to purchase parts and was happy with their service and prices. http://www.ackits.com/
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM

You need to vacuum out the system or all your replacement parts will do you no good. After you install everything you can just take it to an A/C shop and have them service it for you. If you don't have the equipment required to do it right it will be a lot cheaper than buying it. You can get A/C flush at NAPA. Don't flush through the orifice tube or the compressor. In fact, I assume the compressor clutch went out on yours as thats the most common thing and if so I wouldn't recommend flushing the system at all. Doing so will remove oil thats supposed to be there and since you don't have a charging station you won't know how much was removed and how much to put back in. That brings up another good tip, read the paperwork or decal on the new compressor. Some of them come precharged with oil, some require you to add oil. If you are just going to undo the lines and let the freon out and your compressor says to put in oil add 2oz's of PAG oil to it. Also I don't believe your car has an expansion valve, just on orifice tube. A/C systems use one or the other, not both. I dunno if a 95 is different from my 97.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 AM

So, when I install everything, as long as I don't turn on the A/C or defrost, I should be okay to have someone vacuum the system?
What happened was that I had a compressor go bad, so I replaced it, and not doing any research, I didn't replace any other parts. Much to my dismay, the compressor failed again out of the warranty period of course, so this time I am going to replace what needs to be replaced and get the system cleaned out. I'm not sure on the PAG oil, it does seem to come in some compressors and not others. I don't know about the expansion valve/orifice tube setup, all of my parts searches list both.