General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C System Jumps on and Off. 95 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Question A/C System Jumps on and Off. 95 Camaro Z28

Thank you for reading. Here is my situation- about a week ago I was driving and my A/C just quit working and was blowing air the temperature outside. It's inconvenient and my fans do not come on without the A/C being on so overheating in heavy traffic is a problem I'd like to not go through. Here's what I've done.

I brought it back to my place and listened for the compressor to turn on, nothing. I've been told the switch with three wires right next to the accumulater (dryer) is notorious for going out. I disconnected the battery, put the switch in, A/C is on. I hook up the gauges to test my pressure and everything is great, no leaks or anything. Compressor is on, fans are on, ice cold air. A day later I'm back to being hot again.

I heard a story about on some GM's resetting the computer with a battery disconnect resets a switch of some sort and makes the A/C come back. I did such and the A/C returned, making me think that switch I replaced was good in the first place, oh well I'll keep the new one on. But now here is my ussue, the battery disconnect reset idea only works for so long, a few days, an hour or two, sometimes ten minutes before I'm back to no A/C again.

Is there another switch on the A/C system that is being reset that I can replace and am just not seeing? Or there is the two wire plug that connects to the compressor that I can check to make sure is getting power. Anyone experience this before and know of a solution that has worked in fixing the problem? I appreciate the help, thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 PM

I know your gonna think i'm crazy but whenever you have a problem with a 93-97 camaro all fingers should point to the opti. I've got a 94 and last summer it started acting up. it would sometimes work and then all the sudden it would just act like you turned the key off and then back on after that the air would not work unless you turned it off and let the engine cool, i replaced the switch you did and pulled a vacume on my a/c filled it back up and still the same problem i checked everything out and just could not figure it out. I still don't know if changing the opti out actually fixed it but the air has worked great since i did last summer. I'm not sure but did you pull the air out of the system after you but the switch on? have fun.