General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C Compressor Clutch replacement and Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM

A/C Compressor Clutch replacement and Oil leak

My a/c compressor locked up about half a year ago, so I removed the belt and I have been driving with no a/c compressor. I found I could pull the clutch out and it should work again, so I tried that, and found that the clutch is warped, so I cannot set it properly. Also, I found some oil on what looks like a drain plug, on the bottom right of the compressor, when looking at it from the front of the car.

I would like to know if I should just replaced the clutch (which I'm pretty sure should solve the problem), or if there may be something more seriously wrong. I'm thinking if I can replace that bolt, where the oil is, it should stop the leaking. The issue is, I didn't know the a/c compressor had a drain plug, so I would like to be sure that's what's leaking. If I do decide to change the clutch plate rather than the entire compressor (which I'd rather do because it's way easier and less expensive), what should I do about the leak? It's a minor leak, but I would like to fix it, too.