General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Best remote starter for LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:16 AM

Question Best remote starter for LT1

Hey guys, im tired of having to go outside to start my car up and then go back inside to wait for it to warm up, so im gettin a remote starter. Whats a good one out there? Not trying to spend too much money, and I dont want an alarm system included in it either. Thanks for any info!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:59 AM

Re: Best remote starter for LT1

I've been thinking about one myself for sometime but cant find anything I like.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:12 AM

I thought with the lt1 that you have to disable or bypass your VATS in order for a remote start to work....???
Old 12-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Lounge Moderator

Re: Best remote car starter for LT1's???

Moving to LT1 Tech...
Old 12-06-2005, 06:47 AM

I got a cheap remote starter from NAPA, think it was around $70, been working pretty good, have had a little problem w/ the remote door locks not unlocking 100% of the time, but that may be due to my setup. It has started everytime I've hit the remote and has dam good range for the price.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:00 AM

You can't go wrong with anything made by DEI (Viper, Hornet, Rattler, etc). From time to time Circuit City will run just a basic remote start with locks for $199. You'll need an extra part (relay pack) to make the door locks work, at least '95s like mine do. You'll also need an extra part to bypass the VATS (resistor in the key). It will pay you in the long run to have a professional install this, plus that way you get a lifetime warranty on the system and install.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 AM

how, this systems work?? i have a 94z and my engine key have a little plastic with metal in the midlle on one side, that somebody told me is like a chip, so the pcm can't turn it on without it, for security...... and..... it's this compatible if you already have a ratler alarm??
Old 12-06-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by EVERESTZ28
how, this systems work?? i have a 94z and my engine key have a little plastic with metal in the midlle on one side, that somebody told me is like a chip, so the pcm can't turn it on without it, for security......
They just add a resistor and a relay to simulate the key being in the ignition. I have a Clifford system, they're now owned by DEI.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:37 AM

I purchased one from summit racing for my ol 98 Toyota pickup and I paid about $90 for it and hooked it up myself. I think it was made by Bulldog, can't remember I haven' had that truck forever. It seemed to work fine and also it was cool to be inside a resturant and see someone walking by my truck and start it with the remote. Needless to say I ended up scaring some people.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 AM

DEI Viper or Avital both work pretty well. You just need a 556U bypass to make it work. Their about $300 and $350 installed. Thats with the keyless and remote trunk release integrated in to the starter remote.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:31 AM

Yeah DEI defintely the better, I've seen nothing but trouble from bulldog systems. DEI Viper, Valet, Avital, you can get them installed at Best Buy or CircuitCity for $300 to $350. Thats with keyless and remote trunk release integrated into the starter remote.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:44 AM

why are people driving LT1's in the winter??? mine is absolute junk in the winter, it gets stuck in the driveway... maybe other people are having better luck??
Old 12-06-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
why are people driving LT1's in the winter??? mine is absolute junk in the winter, it gets stuck in the driveway... maybe other people are having better luck??
Location plays a big factor. Plus my LT1 is in a AWD Jimmy.. that's the other location factor.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee
You can't go wrong with anything made by DEI (Viper, Hornet, Rattler, etc). From time to time Circuit City will run just a basic remote start with locks for $199. You'll need an extra part (relay pack) to make the door locks work, at least '95s like mine do. You'll also need an extra part to bypass the VATS (resistor in the key). It will pay you in the long run to have a professional install this, plus that way you get a lifetime warranty on the system and install.

I got my DEI Remote Start for $69 and the VATS bypass modual for $25. Sitting in my room at the moment waiting for the car to get finished up so I can install it.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by '94 Bad A Z28
I got my DEI Remote Start for $69 and the VATS bypass modual for $25. Sitting in my room at the moment waiting for the car to get finished up so I can install it.
Where did you get that from? Cuz thats all I want, I dont need the seperate keyless entry or alarm.

Quick Reply: Best remote starter for LT1