General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Battery Relocation Help (starts, then doesn't)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:11 PM

Battery Relocation Help (starts, then doesn't)

This week I moved my optimum Red Top to the passenger side rear fender well.
I used 1/0 (aka 0 guage) from the battery to the starter post, from the same starter post I ran 4 guage from the starter to the back of the alternator, from the back of the alternator I ran 6 guage to the positive Junction box (pink box) I grounded the car in 2 SPOTS the rear and from the block to the bodies from rail (up front of course)

Here is what is confusing?
When I try to start the car the first time it starts FINE, then I kill it and try to start it again maybe a few seconds or after about 30 seconds later and I hear the fast clicking sound (starter.)
This car is my daily driver and I need it by this weekend, does anyone have any suggestions??
Old 03-22-2007, 08:03 PM

Any Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2007, 08:52 PM

loose connection somewhere? thats what it sounds like to me
Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by T/A KID
This week I moved my optimum Red Top to the passenger side rear fender well.
I used 1/0 (aka 0 guage) from the battery to the starter post, from the same starter post I ran 4 guage from the starter to the back of the alternator, from the back of the alternator I ran 6 guage to the positive Junction box (pink box) I grounded the car in 2 SPOTS the rear and from the block to the bodies from rail (up front of course)

Here is what is confusing?
When I try to start the car the first time it starts FINE, then I kill it and try to start it again maybe a few seconds or after about 30 seconds later and I hear the fast clicking sound (starter.)
This car is my daily driver and I need it by this weekend, does anyone have any suggestions??
-from the Alt to the JK box i did 4g
-i have like 6 grounds in my car
-from bat to frame
-from bat to the seat belt bolt
-from front frame to starter bolt
-from starter bolt to fender ground
-fender ground to block
-from driver side frame to block
car starts every time....no charging problems at all....
Old 03-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Ok guys here are some pics (excuse the dirty engine me and her has some miles between us) and I am not worried about being legal at the track with a Cutoff switch, this is just my fun street car. If I ever get kicked out I get kicked out a lot of our tracks are pretty cool though.

Here is the pic of the battery located in the rear where you can see where I grinded the rear panel to take it down to metal, my finger is pointing to where I ground the negative cable in the back.

Here is an actual pic of the Ground I connect it to

Here are a Few pics of where I Route it under the car

Here is where I connect the 1/0 guage from the battery to the starter and then I connect the 4 guage from the starter to the Alternator

Here is the 4 guage wire going up to the back of the alternator from stater

Here is the Second ground. Its from the Block to the frame

Here is where it connects to the Body
Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 AM

Schurters LT1

Got any pics??
Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 PM

no but i could take some this weekend....i see what i can do for you ...
Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Pulled the grounds and cleaned everything up and I put a New starter on the motor (autozone LT1) The old one passed ever test but I got a new one anyway. Went to start the car and it didn't even start this time???????

My old man told me to run another cable from the battery to the motor???? I have never heard of anyone doing this, I may try to run another ground from the stater bolt (connects to block) to the body???
Old 03-23-2007, 02:55 PM

Pulled the grounds and cleaned everything up and I put a New starter on the motor (autozone LT1) The old one passed ever test but I got a new one anyway. Went to start the car and it didn't even start this time???????

My old man told me to run another cable from the battery to the motor???? I have never heard of anyone doing this, I may try to run another ground from the stater bolt (connects to block) to the body???
you have to have a bad ground...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Schurters LT1
you have to have a bad ground...
i agree
Old 03-24-2007, 02:06 AM

Noticed the New starter has Copper style Threaded connection end at it is Striped . Plan to take it back tomarrow andget another one or possibly get my money back and buy something different . The bolt would turn when I had everything on it but would not Tighten, When I went to start the car my brother wiggled it and it acted like it wanted to start???

I changed my ground in the back to the larger bolt on the quarter panel, the one right behind the seatbelt holders when you do the delete for the rear seat.

Does it sould like I have enough Grounds???
Old 03-24-2007, 01:58 PM

I went to get some 1/0 guage (about 14 feet) and ran it from the starter along side the positive wire and went right to the Block. Startered the car and it cranked right up, Then I killed it and I then started it right back up, I killed it again and it didn't start the 3rd time then I decided to try again and it started right back up. All of this was within about a 25 second span.
My old man told me he thought it was fine and that I should not try restarting it so much one after another so I suppose if it starts first click everytime don't worry right?

I do have one question ON the same post where I mount the 1/0 guage from the battery to the block I have a 6 guage wire from that same post to the body. I have some left over 1/0 guage that I am thinking about putting there in its place what do you guys think???

Again thanks for helping guys.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:14 PM

I went to get some 1/0 guage (about 14 feet) and ran it from the starter along side the positive wire and went right to the Block. Startered the car and it cranked right up, Then I killed it and I then started it right back up, I killed it again and it didn't start the 3rd time then I decided to try again and it started right back up. All of this was within about a 25 second span.
My old man told me he thought it was fine and that I should not try restarting it so much one after another so I suppose if it starts first click everytime don't worry right?

I do have one question ON the same post where I mount the 1/0 guage from the battery to the block I have a 6 guage wire from that same post to the body. I have some left over 1/0 guage that I am thinking about putting there in its place what do you guys think???

Again thanks for helping guys.
sure why not
Old 03-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Here is the new setup,
0 guage from battery to starter
0 guage from battery to block (Ground)
4 guage from starter to alternator
6 guage from alternator to junction box
4 guage from block to frame (Ground)
4 guage from starter bolt to frame (Ground)

Car starters about 4 times out of 6. Any thoughts guys???
Old 03-25-2007, 07:57 PM

sounds like you got it all covered but obviously its not working. Here is how I have mine. Battery to switch, switch to starter with 2 awg (too small I have to get bigger) I used #6 from starter to pos distro block. #6 from alternator to shutoff switch.

ground is just a @2 from battery to chassis. and another #2 from right side head to frame. I also have a #6 ground from the starter to the neg distro block.

No problems other than the fact that the #2 is too small. The starter would chatter a bit from the voltage drop.

Oh I also ran both battery and alternator wires thru the inside of the car, thru the firewall, over the front wheel well and down.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation Help (starts, then doesn't)