General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anyone have a e-cutout installed on their perf. exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 12:48 AM

Anyone have a e-cutout installed on their perf. exhaust?

I'm looking into a DHM e-cutout for my 94Z. I have the 3" Magnaflow on stock manifolds. Does anyone have experience with one of these? Did you install yourself or bring it to a muffler shop? Would a basic muffler shop install an e-cutout or is it too complicated? Next, how did you route the wiring into the car? If I were to bring one of these to be installed at a shop, what kind of change am I going to expect to put up?

Sorry for all of the annoying questions, I just figured I would cover my bases. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:06 AM

Re: Anyone have a e-cutout installed on their perf. exhaust?

an exhaust shop probably wont run the wiring.. you can do that and its not to hard if you have a snake... installation shouldnt be too much.. chop the pipe, weld in cutout, done. I say no more then $50 for installation. Im installing mine of my full hooker exhaust right after the y-pipe soon. its not electric tho
Old 09-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Banned

have the exhaust shop install the actual cutout, runs about $40 - $50 under the table around here.

install the electric part of it yourself, you don't want some exhaust monkey messing with electrical stuff. its real easy, hardest part might be finding a wire to tap into for power, i think i tapped into my cig lighter wire and havn't had any problems.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:34 AM

What they all said... but do a search on here, aorund March or April someone posted a real nice write up on how to wire the electric cutout
Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 AM

As stated, bring the cutout pipe to a shop and have them weld it in right under the pass rear seat. This cost me $30, Then drive home and do the rest yourself.

There is a rubber grommet right below the rear pass seat, and you can use this to run the wires inside the cab. I cut a slit in the grommet, slid the wires through, then used a generous amount of silicone to seal it up. Come up under the carpet to where you are going to mount the switch. I mounted my DMH switch under the ashtray lid, right next to the ashtray. For power, I soldered a blade connector onto the power wire and slid it into the fuse box to an accessory connector.

This is a great mod, even if it's just for the "Fun Factor" alone

Thomas.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:56 AM

you won't pick up much power with the coutout over the magnaflow setup. it flows so well to begine with.

i had a cutout on my old magnaflow setup, and it was dynoed to show a 4hp gain over the exhaust.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:56 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, i'll certainly do a search to see the best method of installing the "e" portion, although Stoopalini seems to have a great idea there.

Originally Posted by teke184
you won't pick up much power with the coutout over the magnaflow setup. it flows so well to begine with.

i had a cutout on my old magnaflow setup, and it was dynoed to show a 4hp gain over the exhaust.
I think the gains will almost become secondary to the "fun factor" as stated above. Any gain would be satisfactory but im sure i'll smile every time I open her up.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Resilient94LT1
Thanks for all the replies guys, i'll certainly do a search to see the best method of installing the "e" portion, although Stoopalini seems to have a great idea there.

I think the gains will almost become secondary to the "fun factor" as stated above. Any gain would be satisfactory but im sure i'll smile every time I open her up.
the write up descirbes the same why he just said with pics and how too.

I found it
How To: run the wires for an Ecutout