General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Adding factory power accesories

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Adding factory power accesories

Adding power accesories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi im looking at a 98 z28 without any power accy. A base car z28. I would like to know how difficult it would be to install Cruise,rear window defogger,and power hatch. I can live without power windows and door locks but wife is flipping out that it has no power hatch and rear defog...i love cruise on long stretches. Anyway, when i say difficult what im after is did GM use different wiring harness for cars with and without these features?? Or did all cars use a generic harness and the pigtails/connectors would be there?? Wiring would not be out of question but id prefer it all to be as stock looking as possible. Any sources for above parts either new GM or used?? Anyone out there ever done this ?? The car has not been purchased yet so i cant dig in and see for myself. Any help would be appreciated as im trying to choose between this base car or a loaded(more expensive) one.
Thanks
Ryan
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 PM

Re: Adding factory power accesories

The cruise would require a different engine harness for the same year as your car. the defog and power hatch would be easier. I want to say the harness already has the provisions for the hatch. The defog might not be there though. You have to pull your trim and look at the harness. Contact mark @ www.hpsalvage.com. He should be able to hook you up.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 PM

I would bet that most of the harnesses would be different. I would only attempt this if I had a donor car with all the harnesses I needed. Otherwise, it could be a nightmare. Does the car you are considering buying happed to be a 1LE? (look for the RPO code on the driver's door) There just doesn't seem to be that many plain jane Zs out there.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM

no this car is not a 1le. just a base 98 z28 with ss option...thats it!! I was the original owner of a black 1le 95 6 speed car..base z28 with 1le option and speed rated tires. ..no ac till 96 ..bought in Florida xmass eve. drove home to Massachusetts!! 6 months later moved back to florida... no ac wasnt much fun in fl....car went 13.62 on a perfect pass fall air at new england dragway..it went 1370s with ease in cool air. 1380-1390 at orlando speed world in july. It still resides in fl. I dont. i saw it sitting at vette masters in fl a few months ago when i was there. I still have all paperwork for car if anyones interested.

so wiring harnesss are different for cruise?? Anybody take cruise off there car (complete) ..i may be intereted.
Ryan

Last edited by ssscamaro; 09-27-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:09 PM

thanks emailed hpsalvage already. did i mention the car in question is a base z28 withh SS as the only option...pretty col but desireable??
Ryan
Old 09-28-2006, 04:34 AM

You really only want cruise control and contrary to popular belief, that kind of stuff should only be a harness setup that plugs into what you have in the car now.

Leave the power windows/locks/seats and other unreliable junk out.

"Anyway, when i say difficult what im after is did GM use different wiring harness for cars with and without these features?? Or did all cars use a generic harness and the pigtails/connectors would be there??"

As cheap as (insert automaker name here) is, they make these harnesses so average Joe factory worker can snap this stuff in place at a moments notice when that special order comes off that fax machine or whatever.

I'm sure your cruise is a plug-in add-on. As for rear defogger, I don't have that either. The grid is IN the window itself, you you need to swap that hatch in, for starters. I don't remember that in my rear window, but the storage is getting rather dusty these days...

If someone has a Helms they can forward you the schematic for, I bet I am quite right on my guess....

Oh, power hatch, that should already be in the body harness, heck...you may even have the button in the glove box just sitting there...I do have that much, but since my car ain't running, it's a base car with power nothing as it is...

Last edited by AlfredB18; 09-28-2006 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:36 AM

I know the later camaro's and t/a's came with the bose/monsoon and disc changer harness tucked away behind the quarter trim if the equipment wasn't there. I know the engine harness is different because you will have the ignition, brake switch, ground, etc.. for the cruise module that all have to be integrated with the engine/body harness. You are correct about the harnesses being pretty generic but they do have some differences. I would say there are only a handful differences between the body harnesses to account for the power accessories.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:30 AM

not adding pwr windows or anything else...except defogger,cruise,power hatch so its easier for wife to get stuff in in out of back ...wre going to drive and use this car! Race it too!!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by AlfredB18
You really only want cruise control and contrary to popular belief, that kind of stuff should only be a harness setup that plugs into what you have in the car now.

Leave the power windows/locks/seats and other unreliable junk out.

"Anyway, when i say difficult what im after is did GM use different wiring harness for cars with and without these features?? Or did all cars use a generic harness and the pigtails/connectors would be there??"

As cheap as (insert automaker name here) is, they make these harnesses so average Joe factory worker can snap this stuff in place at a moments notice when that special order comes off that fax machine or whatever.

I'm sure your cruise is a plug-in add-on. As for rear defogger, I don't have that either. The grid is IN the window itself, you you need to swap that hatch in, for starters. I don't remember that in my rear window, but the storage is getting rather dusty these days...

If someone has a Helms they can forward you the schematic for, I bet I am quite right on my guess....

Oh, power hatch, that should already be in the body harness, heck...you may even have the button in the glove box just sitting there...I do have that much, but since my car ain't running, it's a base car with power nothing as it is...
If you have ever looked at a parts book and seen all the hundreds of different part numbers for harnesses with different options, you might have a different opinion of how easy it might be. Sure, it's easy for a factory worker to plug in a harnes, but it's a little different after the car has been built.