General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Adding Acetone to Gasoline for Better Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:29 AM

Adding Acetone to Gasoline for Better Mileage?

This is the first I've heard of this, although I have read about guys adding tulene to gas for increased performance

Anyway here's a link to a little info:

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm

Thought it might be of interest to some here (been reading alot about increasing mileage) and interested in any comments that people in the know about this kinda thing might have on the topic
Old 09-08-2005, 09:03 PM

Re: Adding Acetone to Gasoline for Better Mileage?

Interesting...I'd almost try it if I didn't think it would possibly trash my fuel system or O2 sensor. HUMMMM... I kinda doubt 4.5 ounces in 16 gallons would harm anything. I also don't beleive it would help gas milliage, but I might try it to prove these suckers wrong.

Seems these are more of those people that think the car manufactures can make a Camaro get 60mph and won't because the oil companies are paying them off. BULL S**T!! Why do they think car builders are making hybrids? While it is true that therre are things you can do to get a solid 15-20% increase in gas milliage to many cars, it always negetively effects exhaust emissions.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 PM

Try it in the winter in place of dry gas.<denatured alcohol> All it will do in small amounts is bond with any water or moisture in your fuel system and burn it out. OOooh and maybe dammage any "rubber" you might have in your fuel system.

Last edited by JaysGone; 09-08-2005 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Seems these are more of those people that think the car manufactures can make a Camaro get 60mph and won't because the oil companies are paying them off. BULL S**T!! Why do they think car builders are making hybrids? While it is true that therre are things you can do to get a solid 15-20% increase in gas milliage to many cars, it always negetively effects exhaust emissions.
If you really believe that the auto industry does not have the ability to create engines that burn less fuel and get better gas mileage than cars they built over 20 years ago you're mistaken. You mean to tell me that you dont question why in this day and age full of technological advances that a fuel injected S.U.V. of today gets barely any better fuel mileage than a carbeurated F150 of the late 70's or early 80's? Come on now. Dont tell me you're that stupid.
Car manufacturers are now producing hybrids because the public is having a sh1tfit at the price of gas and they are looking for alternatives to these petroleum guzzling pieces of crap that they were once making a killing on. Now everyone is crying about how much gas they burn, well no **** morons! Why are you driving around a truck meant for 6 passengers or more all by yourself to and from work everyday. So now in an effort to keep up with the public demand and not lose thier asses all together on all the cars they produced that no one wants anymore, they're producing hybrids as fast as they can b4 they lose all those sales to foreign markets who were working on hybrids in an effort to make a better future, not an effort to cash in on oil trade as much as they could b4 the world finds alternatives and our reliance on petroleum products lessen drastically.
I believe the petro industry controls many people who make the decisions this country will have to live with forever either directly or indirectly by profits for all involved. People who are more concerned with how much $$ they have and how well off thier family is as opposed to giving a flying **** about the future of this country as a whole in the long run. Its called greed. Its an evil thing, and politicians are some of the skankiest low lifes ever.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:36 PM

I would advise against putting acetone in your gasoline. I used some once to clean the gunk off an intake manifold gasket on a 4 cylinder once. A little bit was left behind when I replaced the intake manifold. When I started it up it backfired very bad. In addition looking at the chemical composition of acetone it does not have a very large hydrocarbon chain which would not provide much energy from combustion.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:00 PM

The technological advances in the department of fuel efficiency and overall engine design (output for a given gasoline consumption) have been used in terms of:

1.) Increased vehicle weight (safety, luxuries, standards, etc.)
2.) Increased overall performance (acceleration, top speed)

The bias has not been towards improvements in fuel economy because the economics were not in place to emphasize it. It's really that simple.

Now, if we were to take a modern tech gas motor, and put it in a vehicle of similar curb weight of your old reference 1970's vehicle... and optimize the engine to match the performance levels of the old vehicle... you would see major overall gas mileage benefits.

It is an application of basic engineering principles & economics. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 AM

I emailed this to some friends of mine as well, this is the response I got from one of them, who happens to have a masters in chemistry

"Back in the 70’s, during the last oil-shortage, some American chemist developed a “magic” formula that you could add to water to make your car run. He would add a few drops of this green liquid to a litre of water and the car would drive around the block. They later found out that his green liquid was coloured acetone. While it did power his car, it also seriously corroded the inside of his engine. I’m not sure how much of that had to do with the water and how much had to do with the acetone, but I can say for certain that acetone will lead to corrosion of your engine, especially under the heat of the combustion.

Maybe they have developed some kind of stabilizer that will prevent the corrosion, but I would be very cautious about adding acetone to my gas."

Interesting stuff . . . I'm not ready to add any to my fuel but I do think I'm going to look for some more info on the topic
Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 AM

"Try it in the winter in place of dry gas.<denatured alcohol> All it will do in small amounts is bond with any water or moisture in your fuel system and burn it out. OOooh and maybe dammage any "rubber" you might have in your fuel system. " Quoting myself again , Been there done that . Its all crap 1st gas shortages in the 70s people showed cars running on perfume . If it burns it will run.. There is no reason for car companies to do anything about milage never has been never will. We will drive our cars at 10$$$ a gallon. Thats the American way we are pigs but just wont admit it. There are a few tree huggers who will always scream alternative fuels. Most dont want them and will forget all about them as soon as you get used to the price of beans this week.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by blown94
If you really believe that the auto industry does not have the ability to create engines that burn less fuel and get better gas mileage than cars they built over 20 years ago you're mistaken. You mean to tell me that you dont question why in this day and age full of technological advances that a fuel injected S.U.V. of today gets barely any better fuel mileage than a carbeurated F150 of the late 70's or early 80's? Come on now. Dont tell me you're that stupid.
An F150 from the late 70s probably put out 150HP, and a lot more pollution than a current F150 or SUV.

If you think that automakers are concealing higher MPG capabilities due to some vast conspiracy, I think you're sadly mistaken. If GM or Ford could make a full-size truck that got 30 MPG and had the same horsepower as a competitors equivalent 15 MPG truck, they'd be all over that like flies on ****. Even if it cost more, a 30 MPG truck would sell like hotcakes.

There's a reason why there's not a 30 MPG, 300 HP V8 truck on the market today - it can't be done, or at least not at anything resembling a reasonable cost.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:11 PM

ECONOMICS 101 Why do anything not in your own best intrests???