General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC blowing warm air caused by a bad PCM??

Old 08-15-2003, 08:24 AM

Just to add another "me too"...my PCM was recently locking out the AC due to low freon. A friend and I recharged it and it worked great for a few days, but it's slowly leaking out the fill port so I'm gonna have to get that replaced and redo it.

As for the ECM possibility, ANY section/driver circuit can fail and cause a simple problem in one area without affecting the rest of the operation. If in doubt, try someone elses...or take it to another shop for a second opinion.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by BlownF1
take it to another shop for a second opinion.
i would love to take it to someone else, but it cost me too much just to hear people's opinions
Old 08-15-2003, 12:50 PM

I'm having the exact same problem right now, apparently two wires shorted and fried that part of my PCM. The car runs perfect except for that. Madwolf has new ones for $130.....
Old 08-15-2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Birdman7389
I'm having the exact same problem right now, apparently two wires shorted and fried that part of my PCM. The car runs perfect except for that. Madwolf has new ones for $130.....
and how did you put it in....
Old 08-15-2003, 01:14 PM

putting in a new computer is cake. IT is held in place with 2 10mm screws, and then slide right out. Undo the 4 wire clips and swap.

As for finding a new BIN file, i know brents web page has tons of them available for download, and maybe a member here is willing to send their file to you.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by atljar
putting in a new computer is cake. IT is held in place with 2 10mm screws, and then slide right out. Undo the 4 wire clips and swap.

As for finding a new BIN file, i know brents web page has tons of them available for download, and maybe a member here is willing to send their file to you.
do you think i should just buy a new PCM for this?? i will try to refill my freon first. see what happens. if that doesnt help. well, i guess i have to buy a new PCM then
Old 08-15-2003, 01:52 PM

you dont need a new computer, you need a new program.

Kind of like the hardware is still there and working, but the software has a virus (at least thats the problem i had with mine)

Im sure there are many people in the LA area that could flash a new program for you in return for a 12pack
Old 08-15-2003, 01:56 PM

you dont need a new computer, you need a new program.

Kind of like the hardware is still there and working, but the software has a virus (at least thats the problem i had with mine)

Im sure there are many people in the LA area that could flash a new program for you in return for a 12pack
thanks man. you help me a lot.....i'll get my PCM tuner to do this for me.

Old 08-15-2003, 02:00 PM

just make sure he uses a totally new BIN file from another car, and doesnt download your current one. He will understand.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:46 PM

just make sure he uses a totally new BIN file from another car, and doesnt download your current one. He will understand.
will do that.

btw, i bought a freon refill kit from pepboys. it comes with the gauge and everything. do you know how to refill the freon?? i have no clue at all on what to do....please help me

i just spend another $40 for nothing, to get another autoshop checked on my car. they said that i have a faulty compressor, and two switches are shorted or something like that. crap
Old 08-15-2003, 07:48 PM

I had same thing happen to me , Just hot air, replaced pcm and all was well.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:45 AM

You just hook that hose up to the AC line on the passenger side of the car, screw it in and open it up. Im not sure what PSI to aim for.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by dogboy
I had same thing happen to me , Just hot air, replaced pcm and all was well.
where did you get the PCm from??
Old 08-16-2003, 07:49 PM

From the chevy dealer. It was a warrantied repair item at the time
Old 08-17-2003, 03:17 AM

psi should be 250 on high side with a'/c on high and 35 on the low pressure side.....all this computer stuff sounds gay to me. if there is a problem with the system like the compressor is running to much psi due to bad compressor it will shut the a/c system down or low pressure it could be a bad pressure switch causing this also if that switch is bad the computer will think the system is low or to much and will not kick on even if it is aty the right level...do this, put it on a scan tool and see what the tool says the a/c pressure is also hook the guages up and compare the two to make sure the switch is good....there are numerorus things that could cause a problem with high pressure which will shut the system down .....clogged core, bad expansion valve, bad compressor...i think your problem has to do with the switch being bad depending on the year of your car you may havr two switches a low pressure and a high pressure mine has only one switch which acts as both. i think you should start withthese switches if the comp will not kick on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC blowing warm air caused by a bad PCM??