General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

99-04 stang GT vs. LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:09 AM

Re: 99-04 stang GT vs. LT1

It seems like you chose to skim through what I typed, and convienently disect what I typed to make me look stupid, which I don't think you even accomplished very well. Next time don't skim over it, read it. Everything I have stated was fact; you can choose to believe it or not. I have gotten my hands dirty with more of these motors than you probably have, and have watched them dyno on an engine dyno over and over again. You can believe whatever you want, but seeing that you don't even have some of the facts straight (they are called hypereutectic), I will trust my own judgements and experiences and the experiences of others I trust over some guy on the internet.

Good luck getting a stock 4r70w to take 400rwhp though. I have known guys, you know in real life, that have had far more problems with these trannies than guys who haven't. I have known guys who have worked at tranny shops (you know, actual shops) that have seen this things in stock form go out at stock LS1 power levels.

One more thing. There are way more technological advanced aftermarket pieces for the small block than the Ford 4.6. Why you choose to try to make light of this, I have no idea. Water cooled heads? They sell individual throttle body intakes for SBCs. 4v heads for SBCs. Multiport sequential fuel injection systems and coil on plug ignition systems for SBCs. Your statement just further reinforces my belief that you do not know enough of what you are talking about. This is the internet though, so I am not that suprised.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
It seems like you chose to skim through what I typed, and convienently disect what I typed to make me look stupid, which I don't think you even accomplished very well. Next time don't skim over it, read it.
It was not my intention at all to make you look nor feel stupid in all honesty but after reading what you just wrote I'm for sure I understand why youve gone through life feeling that way. I read what you wrote thought about it, discussed it, and in the end determined I dont agree.

Everything I have stated was fact; you can choose to believe it or not.
Fact based on what? What you heard? Please.

I have gotten my hands dirty with more of these motors than you probably have, and have watched them dyno on an engine dyno over and over again.
Here you are assuming. You have no clue where my hands have been or how dirty they may or may not have gotten. You also have no clue how many 2v's and 4v's Ive seen dynoed. But like you said, this is the internet where everyone knows everything including yourself. Look in the mirror before dishing out comments because you seem to enjoy pointing it out in others.

You can believe whatever you want, but seeing that you don't even have some of the facts straight (they are called hypereutectic),
Of course I will believe what I want as you have chose to. The hyper thing was a joke but your panties are so wadded you couldnt comprehend it so relax guy, any other stanger would have got it.

I will trust my own judgements and experiences and the experiences of others I trust over some guy on the internet.
I never asked you to trust me. I could care less what you do. Youre forgeting you are also just some guy on the internet.

Good luck getting a stock 4r70w to take 400rwhp though. I have known guys, you know in real life, that have had far more problems with these trannies than guys who haven't.
It is my opinion it will hold just as long and or longer than the 4l60e. With that said Im not trying to imply it's some super tranny made by Ford to withstand magical amounts of power stock. I'm just talking based on my expierince with both trannies. My 4r70w did way better than my 4l60e hands down. Is one better than the other? I dunno, im no tranny builder, expert, etc I just know what I myself have been through with both not the he say she say heard this heard that mumbojumbo.

I have known guys who have worked at tranny shops (you know, actual shops) that have seen this things in stock form go out at stock LS1 power levels.
That's awesome. I'm sure it happens. Same things go for the 4l60e. Some people do well with it, some dont. I see way more people going to a th350/400 than 4r70w guys going to a c4 but hey, once again who knows. Like I said before, Im no tranny expert and just because I may have talked to some I wont sit behind a computer and pretend I am one like some do. wink.

One more thing. There are way more technological advanced aftermarket pieces for the small block than the Ford 4.6. Why you choose to try to make light of this, I have no idea. Water cooled heads? They sell individual throttle body intakes for SBCs. 4v heads for SBCs. Multiport sequential fuel injection systems and coil on plug ignition systems for SBCs.
This is true. I appologize for making light of this sir. It will never happen again sir. sir.

Your statement just further reinforces my belief that you do not know enough of what you are talking about. This is the internet though, so I am not that suprised.
Actually I do know enough about what I'm talking about. The question is do you. Your entire argument has been based on what this guy told you and what you heard etc etc. Mine was about my trials and tribulations with my Mustang. Your attemps to belittle me though suttle is ghey. If I did that to you in my first post understand I want trying to thats why I put a disclaimer at the end but now I see you want this to become messy and boy do I like messy. Now I'm going to put a smiley here and here to attempt to defuse this. If that isnt good enough well.....
Old 04-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Here you are assuming. You have no clue where my hands have been or how dirty they may or may not have gotten. You also have no clue how many 2v's and 4v's Ive seen dynoed.
No, you were the first to make the assumption. You stated everything I knew was from what some guy told me, which was extremely incorrect. Did I say seen dynoed. Sorry, let me correct myself. I meant to say engines I have dynoed. Hope that clears it up.

Of course I will believe what I want as you have chose to. The hyper thing was a joke but your panties are so wadded you couldnt comprehend it so relax guy, any other stanger would have got it.
Sorry, didn't realize it was a joke, because it wasn't very funny. I was a "stanger" once too, and I know plenty of stangers that still wouldn't have thought that was funny.
I never asked you to trust me. I could care less what you do. Youre forgeting you are also just some guy on the internet.
Correct. It goes both ways.

It is my opinion it will hold just as long and or longer than the 4l60e. With that said Im not trying to imply it's some super tranny made by Ford to withstand magical amounts of power stock. I'm just talking based on my expierince with both trannies. My 4r70w did way better than my 4l60e hands down. Is one better than the other? I dunno, im no tranny builder, expert, etc I just know what I myself have been through with both not the he say she say heard this heard that mumbojumbo.
Neither tranny is very good, but it has been my experiences that the 4l60e is stronger stock for stock, by a decent margin. I will refrain from using anyone else's opinions to back up my statement from now on, since it seems to upset you so much.

Actually I do know enough about what I'm talking about. The question is do you. Your entire argument has been based on what this guy told you and what you heard etc etc.
No, it hasn't been. Just because I included something some from Steeda told me doesn't mean that that is my lone experience on the subject matter. Besides, I by far trust the opinion of someone at Steeda over what someone on the internet tells me. Won't use that as an example, so don't worry. I don't need someone at Steeda to tell me that a stock 4.6 rotating assembly is not going to survive very much over 400rwhp; I have seen this for myself. Forget what the guys at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords think (although if you have ever picked up an issue they seem to agree), I have seen Ford motors blow at this power level.

Mine was about my trials and tribulations with my Mustang. Your attemps to belittle me though suttle is ghey.
It has been my personal experiences that using the phrase "ghey" is not in an of itself a very strong arguemetative force.

If I did that to you in my first post understand I want trying to thats why I put a disclaimer at the end but now I see you want this to become messy and boy do I like messy. Now I'm going to put a smiley here and here to attempt to defuse this. If that isnt good enough well.....
Do whatever you feel is necessary.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:15 PM

No, you were the first to make the assumption. You stated everything I knew was from what some guy told me, which was extremely incorrect. Did I say seen dynoed. Sorry, let me correct myself. I meant to say engines I have dynoed. Hope that clears it up.
You seemed to be against everything I said that was based on my expierience just because you heard otherwise. Ive seen plenty and plenty of dynos as well so why do you seem to bring that up every post? Insecure?

Sorry, didn't realize it was a joke, because it wasn't very funny. I was a "stanger" once too, and I know plenty of stangers that still wouldn't have thought that was funny.
The joke is watching you get bent out of shape just because I dont agree with you. What you think is funny means nothing to me. Because you dont understand is.

Correct. It goes both ways.
Duh. Stop copying me.

Neither tranny is very good, but it has been my experiences that the 4l60e is stronger stock for stock, by a decent margin. I will refrain from using anyone else's opinions to back up my statement from now on, since it seems to upset you so much.
Nope, not upset just basing my my opinion based on my expierience as you claim to be because of what youve heard. You dont get me upset. The stuff going on 100miles North of me does.

No, it hasn't been. Just because I included something some from Steeda told me doesn't mean that that is my lone experience on the subject matter. Besides, I by far trust the opinion of someone at Steeda over what someone on the internet tells me.
Like I said before, I never asked nor do I care if you trust my opinion. Wont stop me from sharing it. Get off Steeda's and form your own opinions based on what you know. I could care less what Steeda thinks. I dont buy their jusnk anyways. Correction, I did get some ball joints from them some time ago I believe.

Won't use that as an example, so don't worry. I don't need someone at Steeda to tell me that a stock 4.6 rotating assembly is not going to survive very much over 400rwhp; I have seen this for myself.
Boosted? depends on alot of stuff. Ive seen some last and some gernade. Ive seen boosted mustangs gernade in the low 300's so what's your point? Telling me what steeda and whoever said what means nothing. Take away what you heard etc etc and you have nothing.

Forget what the guys at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords think (although if you have ever picked up an issue they seem to agree), I have seen Ford motors blow at this power level.
Havent we all. Ive heard of boosted lt1's doing the same. Oh well. I dont trust nor read what I read from a magazine sponsored by the parts they do write ups on. If you do it says alot.

It has been my personal experiences that using the phrase "ghey" is not in an of itself a very strong arguemetative force.
Got my point across didnt it. If it offened you I'm sorry. I have nothing is against the ghey or gay community.

Do whatever you feel is necessary.
Thank you. I will and continue to do so with or without your approval.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:45 PM

Alright man, I am going to stop this before it gets any more childish. You seem to think you are right about everything, so I will leave it at that. Way to prove your point.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:05 PM

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the most about engines, and I'm trying to learn more. I just bought my car about two months ago and it already nad the supercharger on it, and I know that it has not been retuned for it (yet). With that said, my friends brother has a supercharged 99 SVT with a few mods as well. Of course he had to brag that he would take me at the track so we had to run them. We ran them at an 1/8th mile track boths of us had MT street slicks and I had him by .7 seconds. I know that the questions were about stock cars but we both had comparable mods. The truth is that I can't even get a stang here local to run. They all have some reason that they can't line up. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm sure someone will tell me that I am, but the only time I can remember the stangs out performing the camaros on the street was in my day with the late 80's 5.0's.
The truth is that everyone thinks that their car is the fastest, that's why we race.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 PM

If you go to a Camaro board, everyone will tell you they've never lost to a GT, but on a Mustang board everyone will tell you their GT has never lost to a LT1. I've only run 2 in my life and havent lost yet...

Honda Hunter, I've done a bit of research on the SOHC 4.6's and I am curious about one of the things you said. Can you please show me one of these heads/cam/intake 4.6's that are deep into the 300's hp wise and the amount of money spent? I dont doubt their existance, its just that I havent seen one and I am willing to be the owner has invested quite a chunk of change to get his car to have that power output. RussStang is right, most people looking for big power go strait to forced induction with the modular motors.

From what I've seen, mildly cammed SOHC cars put down close to 300rwhp on the stock heads. That is something LT1's do with bolt ons. You can purchase a cam kit including youre valve train for the same price you'll spend for just the 2 cams for the GT. Here's an example:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=629868

The new 3 valve motor seems to be much closer to the LT1 interms of performance. They seem to be putting out close to 350hp at the flywheel with bolt ons and a 93 octane tune, which is what about what a LT1 will do.

Last edited by Steve0; 04-15-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 PM

About 20 Min. ago I was on the highway racing a Convertible 98-04 body style Gt Stang and I owned him in every bit of the race..... we started out at like 80 MPH.... up to like 110 MPH.... I was slowly pulling away the whole time..... We did it again a little later on, same result. Then I had slowed down back to like 75 MPH, and I saw his headlights coming up behind me very quickly, so I Floored it up to 130 and he wasn't even close... Then we had to weave thru some traffic, which I did pretty cleanly as the lead car. He followed my exact path, and then I slowed down to let him get beside me again.... and we had a long stretch of no cars..... We took off from a 75 MPH Roll and by 90 MPH I was 2 car lengths ahead, 100 I was 3, 120 I was 5+

I'm positive that him having the Top down greatly effected his Aerodynamics... but Idk how much of an effect that would have.

Regardless, I think The LT1 Showed it had more muscle than the GT.
Lots Of fun....

-Bowen 1997 Z28 A4 G2 Intake, K&N AF, Borla Exhaust, Lowered 2"
Old 04-15-2006, 11:01 PM

Alright man, I am going to stop this before it gets any more childish. You seem to think you are right about everything, so I will leave it at that. Way to prove your point.
Youre an *** plain and simple. It's not even about being right and wrong. As soon as I chalenged anything you said you had to come back and like you said you couldnt be wrong simply because you were told otherwise. Dont roll your eyes at me.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve0

Honda Hunter, I've done a bit of research on the SOHC 4.6's and I am curious about one of the things you said. Can you please show me one of these heads/cam/intake 4.6's that are deep into the 300's hp wise and the amount of money spent?
just such Ford Power, Mustang World, corral, moduler fords, Stangnet, Stangnet, etc.

I dont doubt their existance, its just that I havent seen one and I am willing to be the owner has invested quite a chunk of change to get his car to have that power output.
fwhp. I shouldve used the 4v to argue the point

RussStang is right, most people looking for big power go strait to forced induction with the modular motors.
I never said he wasnt right about that point. I did the very same thing.

From what I've seen, mildly cammed SOHC cars put down close to 300rwhp on the stock heads. That is something LT1's do with bolt ons.
Ok? I That's a bad thing? Please dont get me wrong. Both motors have thier weak points and strong points. We could all argue all day long but in the end were going to believe what we want. I cant understand why everyone wants to the defend the LT1 to me. I have one. I know what they can do. I had the choice between another NPI for cheap or a LT1 and I ran to the LT1 because I could never deal with doing another NPI project again.

You can purchase a cam kit including youre valve train for the same price you'll spend for just the 2 cams for the GT. Here's an example:

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=629868
The cams are going to be exspensive if theyre not regrinds. Youre buying two cams. Most sohc and dohc billet cams for any car are going to be a little pricey.

The new 3 valve motor seems to be much closer to the LT1 interms of performance. They seem to be putting out close to 350hp at the flywheel with bolt ons and a 93 octane tune, which is what about what a LT1 will do.
Come on bro. The 3v is way beyond the LT1 but like I said before were going to believe what we both want in the end and really this has been beat to death. Youre a cool dude and I respect your opinion. It's hard to come to a Camaro board and talk Mustangs because everyone here will be against your every word when comparing them to Camaros. No worries. Same thing happens on Mustang boards.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:02 AM

Youre an *** plain and simple. It's not even about being right and wrong. As soon as I chalenged anything you said you had to come back and like you said you couldnt be wrong simply because you were told otherwise. Dont roll your eyes at me.
See dude, it is all about perspective. To me, your are just as much of an ***. You have been letting the sarcastic remarks fly in just about everyone of your posts. And then you keep refering to what I know simply because of what I was told, which I have said time and again is false. I know a stock 4.6 bottom end will go out in the 400-450rwhp hp range. Believe what you want. I know when I go buying expensive aftermarket parts for my car, I like to do some research on what other people have found to be good or bad, because I don't have thousands of dollars to **** away doing "my own research". I have had plenty of experience with what I am talking about, and I personally have dynoed many of the engines I have mentioned. Believe what you will, it matters little to me at this point. I am sure that if you respond (which I am sure you will), that it will be rife with sarcastic and "witty" retorts.

Here is a cliff notes summary of my reply to your last post, if you don't care to read what I have typed:
Old 04-16-2006, 02:10 AM

How about you read your last post. I thought you were going to stop this before it got way to childish? It matters little to you but you still feel compailed to post and reply. Lets just agree that both cars and engines have thier ups and downs. We know this because we both have owned one. Then let's agree to disagree and move on. Agreed?

See dude, it is all about perspective. To me, your are just as much of an ***. You have been letting the sarcastic remarks fly in just about everyone of your posts. And then you keep refering to what I know simply because of what I was told, which I have said time and again is false. I know a stock 4.6 bottom end will go out in the 400-450rwhp hp range. Believe what you want. I know when I go buying expensive aftermarket parts for my car, I like to do some research on what other people have found to be good or bad, because I don't have thousands of dollars to **** away doing "my own research". I have had plenty of experience with what I am talking about, and I personally have dynoed many of the engines I have mentioned. Believe what you will, it matters little to me at this point. I am sure that if you respond (which I am sure you will), that it will be rife with sarcastic and "witty" retorts.

Here is a cliff notes summary of my reply to your last post, if you don't care to read what I have typed:
Old 04-16-2006, 07:08 AM

All i know stock for stock my 97 LT-1 would beat my 03 GT- Stang!

Chas
Old 04-16-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by chas
All i know stock for stock my 97 LT-1 would beat my 03 GT- Stang!

Chas
Now there is the unbiased no BS answer to this post wrapped up in one cute little sentance.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:14 AM

How about you read your last post. I thought you were going to stop this before it got way to childish? It matters little to you but you still feel compailed to post and reply. Lets just agree that both cars and engines have thier ups and downs. We know this because we both have owned one. Then let's agree to disagree and move on. Agreed?
Fair enough.

Quick Reply: 99-04 stang GT vs. LT1