General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

4th Gen Windshield replacement....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Re: 4th Gen Windshield replacement....

Originally Posted by parkers Z28
if you find a oem replacement let me know were you got it from.
I've ordered a new one from GMPartsdirect.com. You can also get one from NewGMparts.com. Last I spoke with NewGMParts.com, they told me there is plenty of stock, for these panels, around the country. However it will run you $200-$250.

I generally get parts from NewGMparts.com, but given the size of this panel... I am worried about it cracking in shipping(and having to send it back)....I went with GMPartsdirect.com.

GMPartsdirect.com is run by Flow Chevy(or Flow Automotive) which is just ~10miles away from me in Winston-Salem, NC(I'm in Kernersville, NC). So I will not have to pay massive shipping charges if something is wrong with it, I'll just drive it up the road back to them if there is an issue.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the information on where to get the OEM dash ... I will check them out tonight
speaking of shipping when I order the SS hood for the 96 convertible it came to me busted on the bottom . Be sure to inspect it before the freight carrier leaves I had a h@// of a time with customer
service and the deliver company trying to return the busted hood
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Thumbs up Re: 4th Gen Windshield replacement....

Originally Posted by ACE1252
If it's an OEM windshield, there should be an LOF logo on the middle bottom of the windshield(in between the windshield wipers).
That's the ticket, make sure it is a GM windshield, my brother in law went the cheap way, and purchased a windshield made in China, not only was it distorted, but the dimensions were wrong, and when raining would always leak.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Just got back from Safelite and I'm pleased with the work.

I've got a Pilkington windshield in it. The logo is on the same spot, but is actually printed with "Pilkington" rather than "LOF". Just like the LOF logo, printed on it is "Made in Canada".

The workmanship looks excellent, but I'm a little concerned on the molding around the windshield. I don't think it has to do with the installer, it's how the molding is manufactured. It's not hugging the roofline quite as good as the OEM stuff....but only in one small spot(appears to be a 1/32" gap in one small spot). However, the trim from Chevy appears to be discontinued and aftermarket is really the only place that one can get it now. Don't get me wrong, it "looks" fine at a glance, but I generally go over this thing with a fine tooth comb after work is done to it(when I'm not the one doing it).

I do believe that the molding will draw up and shrink a little with time and heat from the sun. As a matter of fact, the corners at the top of the OEM install had pulled in and away from the drip rail a good 1/8" or more on both sides. So I expect my concern will correct itself over time. If it gets worse, I'll take it back to them(labor and materials warrantied for life).

The installer did mention that I didn't need to remove my dash pad cover. So I did crack it all to pieces for almost nothing....but I was going to replace it anyway. Another thing as a gotcha, he mentioned, is that if the inner fenders are taped up, that some tapes will lift the paint right off the two big rivets on each fender(the area just inside and just in front of the door mirrors). Just something to be aware of.....

If you aim to remove some of the trim pieces, like me, I didn't know how to get off the trim running up side of the windshield molding and along the top of the drip rail on the roof(keep in mind, my Z28 is a hardtop). The installer showed me that the mounting points for it are under the door weather stripping. He pulled the weather stripping away from the car and sure enough, it was screwed to the car. I'm glad I didn't pull on it very hard or I would have torn it up. 6-12-13 EDIT: The installer was wrong on the drip rail trim. The trim somehow pulls away off the drip rail....the screws he showed me are for the weather stripping rail...they don't concern the drip rail trim at all.

I'll get some pictures up of the before and after.

So far, I'm pleased with the install. They told me if I had any problems to come back, let them know, and they would take care of it.

The glass looks really good. Makes me think I'll need to replace the back glass in the future to get it looking as good as the front now. No night driving yet though...I'll update later if I see anything out of the ordinary. I did have to drive in rain on the way home. No leaks that I could see.

Last edited by ACE1252; 06-12-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Got my replacement dash cover today. It looks good, but you have to drill/cut a hole for the alarm LED(notes from GM state that...).

Right now I'm waiting on some replacement 3M foam to see if it can be used to replace the degraded foam under the cowl. There is also some foam along the bottom of the windshield that the tech at Safelite tried to graph on from the old windshield. He made mention that it was in rough shape. I can see that one end of it appears to be coming loose already.

I think this foam is supposed to help keep the panel from rubbing the bottom of the windshield. I'm thinking about pulling it off and laying down a strip of the new foam on the bottom edge of the new panel. However it depends on what the new stuff looks like. Hopefully it will work....I'll find out in a day or so.

I'm nervous about putting it in given how the other came out, but I plan on it this weekend.

I've got some minor editing to do to the pics, but should have them up in a couple of days.

Last edited by ACE1252; 06-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.