Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

VAT or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 PM

VAT or what?

I have a 93 z28 with 131k miles on it that my son drives. He went to leave work, and the car wouldn't crank. Turning the key does nothing. We replaced the starter and the neutral safety/interlock switch. Neither of which made any difference. I will add that we have already check all fuse on the left side of the dash and in the box under the hood. None are blown. I put a screwdriver across the two large terminals on the starter and it spun. It didnt engage the bendix(?); but, the starter itself did spin.
In the meantime, I ran across info on problems with the VAT. So, I tried both keys I have in the ignition and checked that the " chips" in them read the same ohm. Both did. I saw where the wires in the steering column breaking is a common occurance; so, I unplug the harness at the base of the column and with a key in the ignition, I got the same ohm reading at the connection so I no the wire are not broke and if it is a VAT problem that it is not with that portion.
Now, as for the VAT system; during this whole process, the "security" light on the dash has never been, or came, on. All the articles and post I have seen on this always mentioned the security light. However, otherwise my problem seems similar to others that had confirmed VAT problems, i.e., fixing one part or the other of the VAT fixed it. So therefore, I was entertaining the possibility that it isnt necessary for the light to be on.

As for nothing happening when you turn the key: the one thing that it does do is activates some sort of a relay that is under the dash in a little black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. There are actually two of these little boxes, with different part numbers, located right by each other. The one that is doing whatever it is that its doing will make a kind of "doink" sound, much like the sound a blinker makes but just a single one, when you turn the key to the start position. I have no idea what this box is, and mynparts guy couldnt find anything when I gave hime the number off it; however, the fact that turning the key makes it activat, or whatever, leads me to believe the ignition switch itself is not bad.

At this point, I just need some help. Can anyone give me any other possibilities to try? What are some other systems I can troubleshoot or test? Is there a way to test the other end of the VAT equation? I understand it also shuts off the fuel rails, so is there a way of seeing if there is power going to them and pinpointing it being a VAT problem perhaps?
Please help if you can
Old 10-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Re: VAT or what?

You posted this (correctly) in the General Tech forum, too. A moderator will probably encourage you to delete this one.