Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

MSD Optispark THREW ROD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by blown94
Yeah, its alwys the last guy who worked on it's fault. Get over it man, its an unfortunate incident, and you could have stopped driving and minimized it. I know it sucks, but dont go blaming other people when you were too stupid to pull over for a rod knock. Does anybody in this world accept responsibility anymore?
man what reason did my car have to do that hmm? look at ur sig. STOCK BOTTOM END but ur runnin all that ****, boost, no intercooler and a 150 shot and NO PROBLEM, NO THROWN ROD, but i bet ur timing is SET PROPERLY, hmm, dont respond, ur first comment was enough of a contradiction. Ive been researching my case for the past 2 days, bad timing can and will cause detonation, and detonation for a period of time can PUT A ROD THROUGH THE BLOCK

Last edited by ChevyLT1Camaro94; 01-15-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by mdacton
some vendor on here had new shortblocks for 900
www.powertrainproducts.net

This place has some. In another post they say $999 shipped for a shortblock. Bump for them.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Why continue to drive it when it was knocking. Not only continue to drive, but put the strain of passing somebody on a wounded engine? IF the mechanic messed with the factory timing setting and IF that did indeed cause the problem, the right thing to do would be to share the cost. You stated in your first post he did NOT adjust the timing screw so I think your going to have a tough time proving he did adjust it. You could always say MSD set it wrong at the factory, but I don't see that going very far. Your only hope is if the mechanic goes above and beyond and helps you out.

Something sounds fishy to me, and I bet it would to an attorney also. I would see what the mechanic will do for you (talk nice to him because I don't think you have a legal case).

Post # 10 you admit to racing the engine at the track many times.

idk, something fishy that i ran the car at the track a bunch of times NO PROBLEMS, BUT an hour after i get it back from this guy, i get wu my friend sed was piston slap, caused by the detonation, deff bad timing, i know it, that mechanic f*cked sumthin up

Post #13 you say he DID adjust the timing screw. You say ''theres gotta be something they did'' meaning you don't know what if anything they did wrong. (the way an attorney will read that statement).

im aware but if he messed with it, it wouldnt be there anymore. theres gotta be something they did to cause this

Post #1 you said he DIDN'T adjust it.

so i had the msd opti and streetfire coil and taylor 10.4mm wires put in after my old opti went, after driving for 2 hours i got what i didnt know at the time was a ROD KNOCK. i had to get home so i continued driving and while trying to pass i threw a rod through the block. coud this be because my mechanic did NOT check the timing screw on the opti? and does anyone know the cheapest place to get an LT1 rebuilt motor or new/reman motor?

SHOOT ME!!!!

I understand that you are upset. Your going to go though the inconvenience and expense of fixing an engine that you hadn't planed having to fix. I've been there & done that. I once was on my way home from the hospital seeing my wife. I had to get home to see my 2 little kids in the Christmas play. 4 miles from home the truck (a 350 4 bolt with low miles) starting knocking. I shut it off and walked the last 4 miles home, making me late for the play, I wasn't very popular. The next day my brother & I pulled it home, tore it apart and all it needed was a .010 grind on the rod journals and a general freshen up. Had I driven it home I would have had the same problem you have now.

Last edited by pro70z28; 01-15-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by pro70z28
Why continue to drive it when it was knocking. Not only continue to drive, but put the strain of passing somebody on a wounded engine? IF the mechanic messed with the factory timing setting and IF that did indeed cause the problem, the right thing to do would be to share the cost. You stated in your first post he did NOT adjust the timing screw so I think your going to have a tough time proving he did adjust it. You could always say MSD set it wrong at the factory, but I don't see that going very far. Your only hope is if the mechanic goes above and beyond and helps you out.

Something sounds fishy to me, and I bet it would to an attorney also. I would see what the mechanic will do for you (talk nice to him because I don't think you have a legal case).

Post # 10 you admit to racing the engine at the track many times.

idk, something fishy that i ran the car at the track a bunch of times NO PROBLEMS, BUT an hour after i get it back from this guy, i get wu my friend sed was piston slap, caused by the detonation, deff bad timing, i know it, that mechanic f*cked sumthin up

Poast #13 you say he DID adjust the timing screw.

im aware but if he messed with it, it wouldnt be there anymore. theres gotta be something they did to cause this

so i had the msd opti and streetfire coil and taylor 10.4mm wires put in after my old opti went, after driving for 2 hours i got what i didnt know at the time was a ROD KNOCK. i had to get home so i continued driving and while trying to pass i threw a rod through the block. coud this be because my mechanic did NOT check the timing screw on the opti? and does anyone know the cheapest place to get an LT1 rebuilt motor or new/reman motor?

SHOOT ME!!!!
i think ur absolutely right, me and my dad are actually setting up a meeting with the owner (who we know personally) and the shop manager, hopefully we can work out something, my idea was we pay 4 the engine, they put it in. cuz i will admit i shouldnt have kept driving it, but i called him as soon as it started and he said, there shouldnt be any thing wrong, so i was under the impression it wasnt anything, and i DEFFINATELY didnt think it could be as severe as rod knock. i also have never heard a rod knock before so i didnt know thats what it sounded like. and i was actually driving the car to a shop when it blew. hopefuly we can make some sort of compromise with this situation because my family is strapped for money and we cant afford to have a new motor bought and put in, and another car is not going to be really easy 2 afford without having to throw money at it like we did this one. we have about $13,000 into this car and its just not worth it to give up because we will never get back what we put in, but a rebuilt motor should solve a lot of future mechanical problems, seeing as the trans is beefed up, and most other parts are new or newer haha. thanks 4 the input though, at least u were constructive unlike the guy before u haha, oh well, ill keep this thread updated.

CROSS UR FINGERS THAT SOMETHING GOOD HAPPENS

and hopefully i will be running 13's again this coming race season!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 PM

There's always the possibility the stock Opti caused damage to the engine when it blew, when the new Opti was installed the damage may have allready been done.

Most rod knocks are inaudible when they first start, and get worse pretty quick.

I had two MSD Pro-billet's mess up on me, rotors fell off both of othem. When they let go I happen to be at WOT and high RPM, both times it happened I heard the biggest backfire ever known to man, the last time my G/friend was behind me and she said she thought I died in a fireball from flames out the pipes.. this means ignition occured when it was not suppose to since the exhaust was filling with fuel vapor from lack of combustion then one of the miss timed sparks finally set it off, this could also work at a worse time like when the piston is 1/2-3/4 of the way up the compression stroke... then BOOM when the piston is trying to compress everything...

Point here is when the Opti's let go, spark can be distributed to any cylinder at any time, either once or continuously depending how it let go, this could cause combustion WAY before it's suppose to happen (aka Detonation, spark knock, or worse) and destroy things like rod bearings, rods, pistons, head gaskets, etc.

Just throwing out all possibilities...

Last edited by dookie454; 01-21-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM

hmm, u make a very valid point and u may be right! i think u may have it perfect, i drove the car with the opti bearing shot, so it was backfiring and surging like crazy and i prolly drove about 100 miles like that (that was the soonest i cud bring the car in) and that may have been signing my death notice... well i may be getting an 05 GTO now and joining the LSx Guys haha