Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

lets see your sumps!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM

lets see your sumps!

everyone thats changed fuel systems and sumped their tanks needs to help me out here.

i sumped mine out and had problems with cavitation. i don't want to move to a fuel cell so how can it be successfully done without problems? pics are great too!

heres mine.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

There is something weird about that pic. The big line should go DIRECTLY to the pump, you cannot loop the line like that. If the fuel level in the tank gets below the highest part of the loop it pulls air.

What is the small line above the big line? If that is the return? If so it is in the wrong place, that in itself will cause cavitation.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-12-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
There is something weird about that pic. The big line should go DIRECTLY to the pump, you cannot loop the line like that. If the fuel level in the tank gets below the highest part of the loop it pulls air.

What is the small line above the big line? If that is the return? If so it is in the wrong place, that in itself will cause cavitation.

David
How does that happen? Your fuel level is always below the fuel rails. Air will only get pulled in if the sump is exposed to air.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 AM

correct it can't pull air if the hole in the tank has fuel, well except with cavitation.
besides the line is barely above the bottom of the tank.

we put the fittings there because my welder wanted access on the inside. with the baffle of a stock tank thats the only place i could put them. but we need to change it, i have a different welder now..

anyhow, yes, the small one is the return, wasn't sure how well it would work, it worked but not the greatest, things need changing.

ideas on how it should be done?

Last edited by limige; 03-13-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 PM

I dont see a problem with your supply, only the return. Id move it to the top or side of the tank, just get it away from the supply.

Mine returns to the top left of the cell, and sumps out the bottom of course.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 AM

so moving the return to the side should help, i'd agree, but i still feel its needs some baffling in there. i thought about addiing foam to help. thanks for the pics, it's nice to see what others have done..

is that a fabbed fuel cell or what? how'd that work out hanging that? factory filler neck or what, how do you put fuel in?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:16 AM

actually i thought about adding a 90 degree elbow to the return or a deflector of sort, that should work right? any drawbacks?

also i want to eliminate that loop and get a short/straight shot as possible to the pump. injuneer brought up some good points about the pressure change affecting the fuel.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by limige
is that a fabbed fuel cell or what? how'd that work out hanging that? factory filler neck or what, how do you put fuel in?
It is a fabricated fuel cell that bolts into the stock location using a 98' and up filler neck. It also uses the factory sender, but slightly modified. I didn't want the problems you are having.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM

when you fab a cell you have to coat the inside with something to properly seal it right? what all is involved? what grade of aluminum did you use?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

when you fab a cell you have to coat the inside with something to properly seal it right? what all is involved? what grade of aluminum did you use?
That cell is made by Speed Inc if I am not mistaken. No coating needed it is made from aluminum or stainless, cant remember. It if it is welded properly no sealer is needed.

I returned my #6 back to the top of the tank, to the original pressure line out of the tank. I took the factory pump off the sender. I used an adapter compression fitting and slid it over the steel tube on the sender unit.

I had a sump welded on my factory tank.

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-14-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 PM

yes, its a speed Inc cell. Not much to it though, it could be duplicated pretty easy. I was thinking about making a few as I have quite a bit of aluminum around the garage. Heck, I don't have the time to replace my opti.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 PM

don't most fuel cells have the return next to the feed? how do they get away with it?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 AM

Most fuel cells have two supplies located in the sump (most just cap off one of them). It is always a good idea to return fuel away from the feed to the fuel pump to avoid introducing air into the supply.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

don't most fuel cells have the return next to the feed? how do they get away with it?
Most fuel cells return to the top of the tank, the feed is at the bottom.

David

Quick Reply: lets see your sumps!