Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

White smoke underhood.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Re: White smoke underhood.

He did a compression test today and indicated it was the ring in #7...bummer.

I'm guessing the motor is coming back out, correct?

This is my first significant break outside of a tranny and rear end, so is it even worth fixing?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

It's up to you whether you want to fix it or not - I'm curious, I assumed you had stockish pistons in there, but you have a 355, so what parts are in there anyway?

Are you making 10 psi with no intercooling?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM

I have a front mount.

Mogul LT1 rebuild kit, so I assume there isn't anything too special about the pistons.

Stock rotating assembly with aftermarket valve springs, lifters, cam, rockers, push rods, 42lb injectors, and a 255lb Walboro.

The blower was bought (off the forum) while rebuilding the motor and the builder said he could lower the CR with a different head gasket to 9.5:1. Probably optimistic, but a suppose it is lower than the 10.5:1.

Unfortunately, me and the original builder have had a falling out over some things including the quality of work on my car, so who knows what is actually in there.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 PM

That's too bad. It's a lot of expense and hassle to do it twice. Maybe a piston upgrade will fix it if you are on a budget.

What was the tune? and how were you taking timing out? Maybe you got bad gas too, and that cursed you.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Ion/Madz28 did the tune and I asked him to be conservative as I thought it would get daily driven. Funny thing is, I was just cruising when it started to smoke and I hadn't been driving hard at all that morning.

I have a MSD 6Al but not the timing retard box, so I assume timing was taken out with the mail order tune.

My wideband never read more than 11.2...sometimes lower. That would be considered rich even for a FI car, correct?

It will be a lot of expense because my mechanical skills stop at changing the opti and doing a long tube install.

The motor does have to come out, correct?

Any recommendations on budget FI pistons for stock rods, heads, and stroke to achieve ~9-9.5:1 CR? I might as well fix it. The car is worth nothing with the motor shot...and it from what I'm seeing they aren't going for much even with the motor running great.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by JennyOnNos
Ion/Madz28 did the tune and I asked him to be conservative as I thought it would get daily driven. Funny thing is, I was just cruising when it started to smoke and I hadn't been driving hard at all that morning.

I have a MSD 6Al but not the timing retard box, so I assume timing was taken out with the mail order tune.

My wideband never read more than 11.2...sometimes lower. That would be considered rich even for a FI car, correct?

It will be a lot of expense because my mechanical skills stop at changing the opti and doing a long tube install.

Any recommendations on budget FI pistons for stock rods, heads, and stroke to achieve ~9-9.5:1 CR? I might as well fix it. The car is worth nothing with the motor shot...and it from what I'm seeing they aren't going for much even with the motor running great.
Too rich can detonate, too, but it probably wasn' that. It probably has to come out unless you pull the head and the pan and the cylinder is just fine, then you pull the rod/piston and put a replacement piston back in there - that is really difficult to do - I don't know if you can do that on thse cars...I'm not sure what pistons would be a good choice for you because you need to see how much yours weigh, see what forged ones are available, and determine if you need to rebalance your assembly for them - but it's something to think about
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks for your input.

Time to start researching!
Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 AM

Any thoughts on why #7 is prone to breaking rings in a 350?

Detonation is my guess. I'm betting #7 may run a little hotter due to location or coolant routing (just a guess).

Its possible your timing could be a little too aggressive during cruise. Also mentioned was some possible bad fuel. But just because it let go during cruise doesn't mean that's why it blew a ringland. Highly possible it could have already been hurt.

I would highly recommend getting tunercat or some method of reading what is exactly in your tune. If that seems far-fetched, at least have a reputable dynotuner set it up after its rebuilt. Since these motors don't like FI and it doesn't take much to blow it up, no idea why anyone would trust a tune from someone so far away.

I'm around 11.3-11.5 and I think that's where most shoot for. If your PCM pulls timing because its too advanced, you will notice the mixture richen up.

Unfortunatly, yes
Hope that helps some
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by onefastmx5
Hope that helps some
Thanks for the input as well. I'm sure more questions will come in the next month.

The reason I did an email tune was because I couldn't find anybody local that will mess with the OBDI's anymore...even in Houston. I'm not kidding. Most of the race shops in my area seem like they won't even mess with the LS1s these days let alone my dinosaur. So unless you have a new vette or new camaro, they have a little interest.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:29 PM

I think it's hard for someone to have one of these OBD1 blower cars if they can't tune it or know someone that they trust to tune it when they make changes to the hardware. The other thing is that even if you tune it, different gas and weather can affect it, so you have to be aware of that. I think you should pull timing related to boost, and have it adjustable in case you get bad gas or you hear audible detonation. The other thing, is that you could inject some water/meth, but you would have to learn about it and get it right and include it in your tune, but it works well to keep Dr. Detonation away.