Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

What boost is needed for 500hp?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:31 PM

What boost is needed for 500hp?

My next Fbody project is gonna have a goal of reaching 500rwhp. Basically Ill probably start with a forged 355 but possibly a 383 and a good max effort head like trickflow or maybe AFR. CR will be down around 8.5:1 like most blower motors.

Now going with a kit from Procharger, which setup is going to get me to that 500 rwhp mark? I really would like to stay under 10psi if possible which is why I say the motor will potentially be stroked out to 383... my reasoning is the lowest possible boost it takes to build 500 rwhp, the more reliable the motor will be.

And is anybody running the LT4 ED timing set and pushing that 500 mark? I really want to avoid running an electric waterpump if at all possible.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Re: What boost is needed for 500hp?

It depends what you make WITHOUT the boost and there are other factor that you have to consider on top of that.

Look, whatever power you are making without boost is being made at a little under 15 lbs of pressure per square inch, assuming you live at sea level.

So, you figure out what percentage of increase you need to make 500hp and you'll need that same percentage of increase in air pressure.

Example:

Lets say that you live up in the mountains a bit and your ambient air pressure is 12psi. Lets also say that you are making 300rwhp and you want to make 450.

Well, that's a 50% increase in power so you'll need a 50% increase in ambient pressure. So, 6 pounds of boost, right?

But wait!

How much HP does it take you to run the supercharger in the first place?

Lets pretend that for every 100hp you make with the blower, it eats 10hp to get there. Don't use that as a real figure though... I just chose it because it makes the math easy to discuss.

So...
If you run 6 pounds of boost to get another 150rwhp, you also lose 15fwhp.

Not to mention that different engines react to boost in different ways. Some engines "like" boost more than others because of everything from head design, to exhaust/intake flow ratio to rod ratio to bore to fuel system, etc.
Not to mention the

In other words, all you can really do without some pretty good engine modeling software is to take an educated guess and hope you are in the ballpark.

In your case, my guess is that it'll take you about 10 pounds of boost to make 500rwhp.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:22 PM

I suspect the boost level needed to achieve your goal is going to be a bit different whether your talking a 355 or a 383. Just doing a set of heads on my car caused the boost to drop about 2 lbs and yet RWHP went up quite a bit.

I also have a goal of over 500RWHP. I figure with a cam (I'm stock now) and an increase of about 2-3 lbs, I'll be there. But 500+ HP is pushing the limits of a P600b, my current blower.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:34 PM

think of boost as a garden hose the more you pinch it off the more psi you get now let it go it flows more but less psi

better heads low boost lots of power. stock heads high boost little power
Old 12-15-2005, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by amean94ta
think of boost as a garden hose the more you pinch it off the more psi you get now let it go it flows more but less psi

better heads low boost lots of power. stock heads high boost little power
Interesting I always knew larger cubes like 383 vs 350 is going to require less boost to make the same power but I didnt think heads made that much of a difference.

Sounds like I have more to consider than I originally thought.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 PM

I made over 500 rwhp with the following:

LT1 355 cid
stock crank, h-beam rods, trw blower pistons, speed pro rings correctly gapped for supercharger/nitrous
stock heads, lightly hand ported, stainless valves w/stock size
port matched LT1 manifold
Hot cam kit
ATI procharger P600B running with the 12 psi setup (it only made 10 pounds)
Twin intercoolers
stock 48 mm t-body
MSD ignition
FLP long tube headers, 2 cats, and single 3" exhaust
Fuel system completely overkill (external pump, aqp lines, etc.)

Note: It made 480 rwhp with edelbrock shorties, single cat, and flowmaster muffler

You don't need to build a 383, but a 383 will make more torque than a 355 due to the increased displacement. A 355 will rev higher though due to a shorter stroke and will have a stronger piston.

My new setup is basically the same except now using a Vortech V2 blower (it is much more quieter!), heads extensively ported on the intake side, better cam and valvetrain, 58 mm holley t-body, electric water pump, bullit proof timing chain. It should now make 550+ rwhp on 10 lbs boost under ideal conditions (cold, dense air at sea-level). Yep, car hauls *** down PCH, it's like adding an extra 50 shot. I'm a little worried about the 42 lb injectors not keeping up.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:24 AM

in number form yeah but you need to "pulley" it up

quick example my friend is running a bbc blow through kit(f1r) procharger sent him the pulleys for 15 psi on a bigblock chevy he did not know how well his heads flowed when we got it on it pushed 5 psi and they were the right pulleys so now he is running 15psi but you stick his kit on another bbc without those heads it would be in the 30 psi range going off that he doubled upped in pulley size
Old 12-16-2005, 12:07 PM

500 RWHP can be achieved pretty easily with a blower. Forum member ea1 made over 500 rwhp with an almost stock LT1 in his impala ss. He put in TRW forged dished pistons, 50 lb injectors, LT4 hotcam kit, and a 255 lph fuel pump. Everything else was stock (crank, rods, untouched heads, intake, throttle body) I believe he also had headers. I think he made 513 RWHP on 14 psi with no intercooler and this was also with a loose converter.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:36 PM

I hit 475RWHP with the Procharger P600 running at 11psi with a loose convertor. I think 12 psi (or less with a M6) will get you there no problem. As far as Procharger a P600 or P1SC will get you there but, you will about be maxing out the blower. Go ahead and get the D1 and you will have more blower there when you want more boost. You many say I will only run 10psi but, everyone always wants more!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:11 PM

Just my .02. I made 520hp running lean with only 8 lbs on a P1 kit and a 383, LE3 LT4 heads, a 224/236 cam, long tubes and the other little stuff
Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Erie and Nashville People suck! Tell Norb I said SUP FOOL!

I have a setup close to eds with mild heads,
except I have an S-trim and aftercooler, it ran about 12-13psi on the dyno and I made 540 with those notorious edelbrock shorties.
and tuned by 94 NO TOP Z

I fixed a leaky BOV and I now have about 14psi, I'd like to get some headers and a bigger air filter and go for 575. If you can afford it go with good heads and see less boost/heat. If you cant afford the heads up front... many people have made 500rwhp with some slightly worked on stock heads, it really helps the cause to have the exhaust ports cleaned up. I have a stage 1 TEA porting on the exhaust side and the intake side has just a 3 angle valve job. If or when you can afford heads look for something with an intake/exhaust ratio (I/E) of 75-80%. I think stock LT1's are 67%.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't even say that 10lbs of boost are necessary if the motor is built for it. I put down 465 at 5500 and only 5.5 lbs of boost, still climbing on the chart too. It was the first run so the timin was even backed off to make sure nothing was broken. The motor started leanin out really bad, thats why we never got to see its full potential. Stock bottom end with ported heads and a blower cam, Edelbrock headers, and other typical bolt-ons. Still have stock throttle on there, so that is choking the motor quite a bit. I would they were pretty stout numbers for the set-up.

500 rwhp isn't that hard to achieve at all if the motor is set-up to make power. I wouldn't run anything more than 9lbs of boost on stock LT1 pistons, anything more any you are looking at a potential big-a$$ paperweight under your hood..

Get a set of nice flowing heads, blower/juice cam, and a nice exhaust set-up and you should be well on your way.

p.s.- what does eveyone else's torque curves look like? I think that's the best part about runnin boost on a V8, torque 'curve' chart that you could just about play marbles on...
Old 12-22-2005, 01:19 PM

what about a new, assembled set of trickflow heads? 62cc combustion chambers. All that with maybe a hotcam or other blower cam, some 42lb injectors and a 255lph f.pump. some nice long tube headers and at very least a good madz28 or pcmforless mail order tune (dyno tune would be ideal).

That's kinda what I'm thinking for my setup... stupid bottom end is gonna cost $3k tho
Old 12-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
Erie and Nashville People suck! Tell Norb I said SUP FOOL!

I will we got this national club going now sign on and talk to him.

Are you ever coming back? you will be scarred of that barney purple camino he has you should see it

well sign on ok

www.erieknights.com
Old 12-22-2005, 06:47 PM

My 385 with a Vortech V2-S trim with aftercooler @ 5psi boost, Fully ported LT1 heads is putting down about 540 rwhp and I'm hoping to sqeeze alittle more after more tuning.

Quick Reply: What boost is needed for 500hp?