Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo's and boost.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:02 AM

Question Turbo's and boost.

I know for S/C cars boost is linear. But in turbo applications it seems people are seeing max boost at an earlier rpm and this of course all depends on the size of the turbo (s) and a host of other things. But having said that can a turbo be setup to run in a more linear fashion? I know a boost controller helps out but I've always wondered about this. Maybe I'm still uneducated in the turbo world so if this is dumb moot question please by all means let me know!

I like linear power but I also like the control of boost too on the fly.

And yes I'm already going there. TT's later this summer/fall from Speed Inc as I've been talking w/ INTMD8 for the last month or so.
I'll have a brand new complete F1 setup FS that's only seen idle for 2 hrs.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 AM

if you ask me a turbo is linear kinda. gotta think 15lbs of boost @ 3000rpm isnt as much air as 15lbs of boost a 6000rpm. it would take more air to make the 15lbs at 6k b/c the engine is using more air. with that said with a boost controler it would pretty much make it linear its just that it kicks in sooner that a S/C in some cases. only difference i see is that in a tubo setup you have to be giving it some good gas to get it to spool vs. s/c... BUT i may stand to be corrected once again im not the best at explaining stuff.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by The SRZ
I know for S/C cars boost is linear. But in turbo applications it seems people are seeing max boost at an earlier rpm and this of course all depends on the size of the turbo (s) and a host of other things. But having said that can a turbo be setup to run in a more linear fashion? I know a boost controller helps out but I've always wondered about this. Maybe I'm still uneducated in the turbo world so if this is dumb moot question please by all means let me know!

I like linear power but I also like the control of boost too on the fly.

And yes I'm already going there. TT's later this summer/fall from Speed Inc as I've been talking w/ INTMD8 for the last month or so.
I'll have a brand new complete F1 setup FS that's only seen idle for 2 hrs.

So what your saying is you'd like the boost to slope up lineraly like a blower, and not ramp up fast and then hold horizontally like a turbo does. Is that right?

I think a really nice electronic boost controller will allow boost levels at certain rpms... so you could just plot out on paper psi per rpm to get the slope you want. Then program it into the boost controller.

Any more details on the setup you will be running?
Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

yeah, like a positive displacement s/c correct?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
So what your saying is you'd like the boost to slope up lineraly like a blower, and not ramp up fast and then hold horizontally like a turbo does. Is that right?

I think a really nice electronic boost controller will allow boost levels at certain rpms... so you could just plot out on paper psi per rpm to get the slope you want. Then program it into the boost controller.

Any more details on the setup you will be running?
Yeah that's pretty much dead on. Our engines are torquey enough as it is and having 15psi hit me @ 3-3500K would be too much for me. That sudden rush feeling is nice but I'd like it to be as linear as possible.

As far as details it is still in the air but the turbos I believe T67's and 40mm wastegates. I'd have to look at the build sheet to make sure.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by The SRZ
As far as details it is still in the air but the turbos I believe T67's and 40mm wastegates. I'd have to look at the build sheet to make sure.
That should make a ton of power! Nice.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Realquick they're PTE66's and 44mm wastegates and 50mm tial BOV. I'll be having a cam change too but no word on the specs but yes it should be fun! As I said it's still up in the air but I'm 90% sure of it.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Nice! Should be able to make 900rwhp no problem!