Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo or S/C

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 PM

Turbo or S/C

Well I have been pretty stuck on getting a F1 Procharger now on a built 383 lt1, but am just curious about turbo. I have done little research about it. My main thing, is that I like the fack wiht a turbo you can turn down boost. With a S/C you cant, you have to just baby it around town so nothing breaks. Im not looking for a street car, I am building a drag car that will most likely have over 700rwhp, so im not aiming for driving it on the street. But would it be possible with a turbo to drive it on the street if i turn down the boost and still be safe? What kit would be cheaper, a F1 ati kit with intercooler, or single turbo with intercooler? And what size turbo would be able to make 700+rwhp with out being close to peak boost?

Joe
Old 10-13-2006, 04:18 PM

Re: Turbo or S/C

The F1 kit is going to end up being cheaper unless you plan on fabbing your own turbo kit.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:07 PM

The turbo will make more power/psi boost. I just added it up on PTK's website. A turbo kit with an air/air intercooler, T76GTS turbo (1100 hp capable), etc. . . is about $6600.

Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 PM

turbo lag is something you need to consider a s/c doesnt lag(as bad)
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 PM

turbo lag is something you need to consider a s/c doesnt lag(as bad)
Old 10-13-2006, 08:10 PM

Turbo will be more controllable, you are right, but the SC will cost THOUSANDS less and easily acheive as much power as you desire.

As for the question of SC vs. Turbo do a search and you will find that it is one of the most often asked questions on this forum.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Turbo will be more controllable, you are right, but the SC will cost THOUSANDS less and easily acheive as much power as you desire.

As for the question of SC vs. Turbo do a search and you will find that it is one of the most often asked questions on this forum.
Supercharger is easier to tune with the stock computer. Supercharger is a cleaner install. Turbo makes more power with less drag on the engine.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 PM

Well the D1 ATI kit is about 6 grand, and I want a F1 blower witch will run me quit a bit more money. If the ptk kit is only 6600, then that sounds a little better. Does the kit come with everything I will possibly need? As far as lag, Im getting a pretty impressive engine and drive train setup, so the lag will be countered with raw engine power(hopefully).
Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by jmh96z28
Does the kit come with everything I will possibly need? As far as lag, Im getting a pretty impressive engine and drive train setup, so the lag will be countered with raw engine power(hopefully).
I think for $6600 you get everything you need except electronics (ignition booster), fuel system (no FMU or pump), and computer tuning.

I'm going in the same direction as you as far as engine power versus turbo power. In hopes of getting my 60' down, I've just increased displacement, advanced the cam, and added some gear in my own car.

Mike
Old 10-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Do you have to set the engine up diiferent for turbo, than a blower? I am going with a 383 also.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by jmh96z28
Do you have to set the engine up diiferent for turbo, than a blower? I am going with a 383 also.
People will argue this all day long. From my experience, the answer is "no". Most will argue that the camshaft requirements are totally different, but I have not seen significant differences in power between supercharger and turbo cams in a turbo application (see sig).
Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 AM

O, well then. What power adder is better for drag racing.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 AM

I would get the turbo. I tried to get one several years back from PTK and they would not sell it to me. They wanted me to bring the car to Texas so they could install it! Turbos are getting better all the time, and there is a very good selection to choose from.

You could save some money on the turbo kit by not buying their intercooler and fabbing up your own setup. Intercoolers are getting a lot cheaper than they used to be 10 years ago. And the turbo can be purchased from just about anywhere, including ebay. If you do go turbo, try and get a K-member, it gives u more room for exhaust piping. Also, I think the A/C will have to be removed (big deal).

Just so you know, I see your in CA, turbos are not yet 50 state legal on an LT1 like a supercharger is (not the F1 either!) and you may have trouble smogging/registering the car. I had to go to 3 different smog shops to get mine smogged, the first 2 shops didn't want to touch my car.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:26 AM

nNot woorried about being legal, car is far from it now.lol. So basicly all your saying, is buy the hot parts from them, and get the turbo on ebay, and build my out intercooler setup? What is a good turbo to get? How much will it cost to fab up my own intercooler kit?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 AM

I would reccomend getting a custom intercooler from EPP (www.exoticperformanceplus.com ). Ask for Bob, and tell him CALL911 sent you. He can get you a killer deal on an intercooler like he did me.

As for the turbo, I would agree that for drag racing it would be the best. Turbo lag can be a great moment to get you rolling off the line with traction, and then you can set it up so the boost really builds on as traction and speed increase. The bad part about it is that the install is a royal PITA, plus Turbo's and parts are more difficult to tune, and to come by. The fact is that Turbo's although are becoming more popular for F-bodies, still aren't being used nearly as much, so there aren't as many to choose from, and there aren't as many venders who sell them, not to mention the fact that not to many people are familiar or know how to work on them. I have heard many people on this forum who paid for their Turbo kits IN FULL and have been waiting 6 months to a year to recieve them. Plus all together plan on spending a lot more than for a blower setup will.

I am not trying to scare you away at all. In fact, I would kill to trade my SC setup for a Turbo instead. But you need to be aware of all the facts first so you don't get into something that you hadn't anticipated, like the extra patience, perseverance, and most of all extra $ you will need to have.

Last edited by CALL911; 10-14-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo or S/C