Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

T76 vs F1/F1a

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 PM

T76 vs F1/F1a

what do you guys think? it'll be a forged 355 or 383 street car that goes to the track about once a month. its a 93 M6 full weight car that i want to keep AC & the rest of the creature comforts. i'll get a matched set of heads & cam to go with which one of the boosted applications that i choose to go with. i already have a moser 12 bolt & am about to order a mcleod street twin.

what's the cost of each?

what about the pain in the butt factor?

what about streetability?

what about performance?

has anyone tried both of these? thx
Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM

what type of t76? There are a few choices and will affect performance heavily.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:54 PM

ive tried a f1a on a 03 cobra, loved it.

Streetability - either one
Blower has gradual boost, turbo it comes on basically all at once

PITA - turbo is much harder as nobody features a "bolt on" kit really, except LT1boost, and ohio forced inductions, and maybe a few others

F1a will be easier to install, and i would think u can keep A/C, not sure with an LT1 but with the 4.6 it still had all accessories

Performance wise, both are probably equal, idk, i know the f1a can probably support 1000RWHP

F1a i believe costs around 6k, and i believe so does a complete t76 kit from lt1boost

Last edited by reamo04; 01-07-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Eh, I'll through my 2cents in.

what's the cost of each? Either way your looking at $3000+ if you can do work yourself. What does a new blower kit cost these days? ++$4500? Might as well buy a $1200 turbo and have some exhaust fabbed up.

what about the pain in the butt factor? Both about equal. Figure the front of the motor needs to be torn down and if you run a blower you gotta do headers. Cherry picker may be needed for either.

Turbo may be harder to tune. Not sure what the latest is on 2-bar speed density. But, obviously a crank driven compressor is going to be more predictable than an energy driven turbine.

what about streetability? Either will be fun.

what about performance? Either will be fun.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by slomarao
what type of t76? There are a few choices and will affect performance heavily.
i'm still learning about turbos & don't yet know the answer to that question. someone recommended a T76 to me that would allow me to keep my AC & not have to remount the rad.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by boosted-lt1
Eh, I'll through my 2cents in.

what's the cost of each? Either way your looking at $3000+ if you can do work yourself. What does a new blower kit cost these days? ++$4500? Might as well buy a $1200 turbo and have some exhaust fabbed up.

what about the pain in the butt factor? Both about equal. Figure the front of the motor needs to be torn down and if you run a blower you gotta do headers. Cherry picker may be needed for either.

Turbo may be harder to tune. Not sure what the latest is on 2-bar speed density. But, obviously a crank driven compressor is going to be more predictable than an energy driven turbine.

what about streetability? Either will be fun.

what about performance? Either will be fun.

i already have hooker longtubes, so i guess that part would be cheaper to go with F1a.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM

what's the cost of each?

As far as being cheaper, the turbo setup from me will be cheaper... not sure about any other turbo kits out there.

EPP sells the D1SC for $5100 and comes with twin highflow intercoolers. You will need the upgrade to the F1A (~$1000). Upgrade to a front mount intercooler ($300 for IC, then refab new cold side piping $$). You will also want the SDCE tensioner (~$400). All said and done, you are probably looking at close to $7000 for the F1A setup. The ya need to throw in the cost for pullies to get the right boost level you want. Its pricey, but a good product.

I can get you into a turbo setup for significantly less (plus you could sell your headers)... and it should make comprable power.

what about the pain in the butt factor?
Not sure... either one will have their share of headaches I am sure.

what about performance?
I think realistically, F1A LT1 vehicles see in the 800-850rwhp range for power... my T76 header kit can get ya there.

what about streetability?
The turbo setup will be significantly quieter than the blower during everyday driving. Also, the blower belt tension adds stress to the crank snout.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 PM

The engine compartment in the LT1 is too small for all the exhaust piping required for a turbo IMHO. The F1A will be alot less pain in the butt. Cost will be about the same. Turbos have alot more bling factor. The F1A is alot more OEM in appearance and is hard to notice when you open the hood. Reliability and tuning will be better with a supercharger and stock computer. Turbos have a slight edge in total power due to no drag from the belt.

If you do buy an F1A, don't buy a kit. Just buy the pulleys, brackets, and head unit. Fab up a front mount intercooler setup and get your piping, tensioner, and bypass valve from ebay, jegs, summit, sdce etc.

Good luck,

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 12-28-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:05 PM

i've read where you blower guys say that 15 pounds of boost is the max on 93 octane, is that the same on a turbo setup?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:37 PM

I run 91 octane with meth on my f1a @ 18psi
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Funkybird
I run 91 octane with meth on my f1a @ 18psi
wow! do you have dyno numbers & track times?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 AM

In my experience, you run into drive issues with a centrifugal above ~13 psi and/or 600 rwhp. Your typical 8 rib setup definitely won't cut it. That's why I switched to a turbo.

As far as octane goes, if you have low compression and a good intercooler, you can get away with as much as 17-18 psi. If you add Methanol, the sky is the limit depending on how much Meth you want to squirt in there.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 AM

12 rib will solve that problem...better yet a SDCE 12 rib and more than likely you'll break something else instead on the car.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by The SRZ
12 rib will solve that problem...better yet a SDCE 12 rib and more than likely you'll break something else instead on the car.
That's my point. The belt slippage is totally solvable, but you have to buy more $$$ hardware to get the blowers to make that kind of boost. I was tired of fooling with high traction pulleys, special belts, and VHT to just barely get 15 psi.

With a turbo, you turn the ****.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM

It sounds to me like realquicks turbo setup is the simpler route......

Quick Reply: T76 vs F1/F1a