Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Supercharger pulley wobble, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Supercharger pulley wobble, how to fix?

I finished my powerdyne install on my 94 LT1 today and when I started it up the supercharger pulley was wobbling pretty bad. It's not the pulley on the supercharger itself, but the pulley that goes on top of the crank pulley.
The stock crank pulley or balancer is good with no wobble but the supercharger pulley mounted on top of it wobbles a lot.

Any ideas how to fix this? I took it off about 3 times and couldn't get the wobble to go away.
Anyone know if/where I can get a new pulley that will work with my stock balancer?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 AM

Re: Supercharger pulley wobble, how to fix?

cyteone:
Remove the stock harmonic damper and check to see if the PD pulley sits perfectly flush and flat on top of it. My PD pulley (I assume they were all made this way) had a slight recess machined in it's back face to locate it properly and center it on the damper. PD machined it a few thousands too small! I was able to correct it using the tip of a deburring scrapper to remove a very small amount of metal and enlarge the diamter of the recess so it fit properly. This was some years ago and I may have this backwards with the recess being in the damper and the PD pulley having a very small flange on the back that should fit in the damper recess. Either way, check that the PD pulley lays absolutely flat on the damper.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM

I did this many years ago and I needed washers and lot of fabrication to get the whole thing to work. It sounds like its not flush, so check that carefully. It was a pain that so many parts were so cheap and never tested, since they were unusable to start with. I remember something crazy like the bolts were to short or long and I kept going out to the parts store for the correct ones.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 AM

ISTR 2 or 3 bolts for the baseplate mounting were 4" and needed to be 4.25" (or was it 4.5"). I always wondered if my kit had the fasteners from a ford setup or some other application. I guess mine wasn't the only one! After I bought, they weren't in business much longer. Perhaps they were just throwing kits together from whatever parts they had laying around. Still, they do work and it was satisfying getting it right.

cyteone: If you don't already have them, you need to have a cable. a laptop, Freescan or Datamaster and TunerCATS to alter the tune and make sure whatever injectors you're using can supply the added demand.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM

FWIW you may need washers behind the crank pulley anyway to correct the external belt alignment with the supercharger pulley. Look at that first (pretty easy to eyeball) IMO before you start deburring and what not, because adding washers is a cakewalk and cheap. See if your SC pulley happens to be located a little forward of the crank pulley, if so maybe look into the washer approach, making sure the three areas sit flush (may need to grind anyway). I used quality (thick) washers on mine and there's no wobble.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Powerdyne issues and solutions I found years ago.

air filter info https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/for...filter-549460/

Tuning https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/for...id-how-581267/

Making boost https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/for...erdyne-546668/ https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/for...ppened-538496/