Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

STS Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:14 PM

STS Turbo Kit

I think I am about to order the STS Turbo kit for my mostly stock 94 Z28 that I am getting rebuilt with stock parts, but I am wondering what else is recommended to get with this kit(stall, tuning, fuel system, etc.) or does it not really need any other certain kind of mods? Pretty much I dont know anything about turbos or anything that has to do with them so any helpful info you guys can give me will be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,
Brenden

Last edited by PonyStalkerZ28; 08-17-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:09 AM

Re: STS Turbo Kit

I would do a search, that's #1. There is a lot into the setup of a turbo car, aside from tuning and fuel and stall... I would contact your STS dealer and have them talk it over with you. See what they reccomend for fuel/stall/etc. I'd talk to your builder, see what he thinks and has for advice...

What are you doing to the motor during rebuild? If you're spending the machine time to do it (properly with machine work) why use all stock parts? Make sure your engine can handle the results you want, and a bit more incase you go bigger later. Those are my thoughts right off the bat.

And do a bit of reading. The boards are here to help and educate.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick

What are you doing to the motor during rebuild? If you're spending the machine time to do it (properly with machine work) why use all stock parts? Make sure your engine can handle the results you want, and a bit more incase you go bigger later. Those are my thoughts right off the bat.
I agree. While it's been shown that stock internals do fine with certain levels of boost, if you're going into the motor anyway, you can't go wrong with some stronger components.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:00 PM

Well I am getting the motor rebuilt with forged internals but nothing else, because if I get the turbo kit I wont have the money for anything else. I only plan on running around 7psi, so I am hoping a forged internal LT1 can handle that atleast for a little while. I planned on asking STS what else they recommended I get but I figured I might as well go ahead and ask you guys also since this board has helped me so much in the past. I also have some worries about where the turbo is placed but I will ask them about too. If I end up not getting a turbo I am just going to build a heads and cam 355 like I had in my old car. Which one would you guys do turbo or all motor(just figured I would ask to make more conversation)?

Thanks for your help,
Brenden
Old 08-17-2004, 09:08 PM

If your going with the sts kit, just get the motor rebuilt with forged pistons. I don't think you will ever need a forged crank. No sense in spending more money there.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:58 AM

96turbota - Thats what I was thinking also, thanks
Old 08-19-2004, 12:20 AM

If your choice is STS turbo or NA motor, I'd go NA motor.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 AM

I think he would definitely have more fun with the STS.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by PonyStalkerZ28
Well I am getting the motor rebuilt with forged internals but nothing else, because if I get the turbo kit I wont have the money for anything else. I only plan on running around 7psi, so I am hoping a forged internal LT1 can handle that atleast for a little while. I planned on asking STS what else they recommended I get but I figured I might as well go ahead and ask you guys also since this board has helped me so much in the past. I also have some worries about where the turbo is placed but I will ask them about too. If I end up not getting a turbo I am just going to build a heads and cam 355 like I had in my old car. Which one would you guys do turbo or all motor(just figured I would ask to make more conversation)?

Thanks for your help,
Brenden
Dont forget your clutch, driveshaft, and rearend. If you skip these make sure you have free towing.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
If your choice is STS turbo or NA motor, I'd go NA motor.
i dont think he'd wanna stay at 291rwhp like ur NA car tho...

go with a STS kit, u'll like it...
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 PM

Brenden
We have done a lot of testing both stock and with forged internals on our fbodys. Our LT1 is in the middle of a forged rebuild right now. Fbodys hold up 5psi well, but after that is where you are going to get into fuel, tuning, and drivetrain upgrades. If you are looking into a forged bottom end, go with some dished pistons to lower the compression ratio. The sequential methanol system is working well with tuning the car for high boost. Right now we are at 13 psi on our 00 SS and dealing with the tranny/torque converter. Email us if you are interested on details of the rebuild.

Last edited by LukeZ28; 08-25-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Seal
i dont think he'd wanna stay at 291rwhp like ur NA car tho...

go with a STS kit, u'll like it...

Wow, you totally owned me with that witty comment. my car has a stock motor with a few bolt ons He said "all motor" not stock motor.... all motor can easily mean 400rwhp+.. and I'd take that over an STS kit anyday. 400rwhp all motor would probably be quicker than 400rwhp STS hp anyway..being as how all your power comes on late.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by 5.0THIS
Wow, you totally owned me with that witty comment. my car has a stock motor with a few bolt ons He said "all motor" not stock motor.... all motor can easily mean 400rwhp+.. and I'd take that over an STS kit anyday. 400rwhp all motor would probably be quicker than 400rwhp STS hp anyway..being as how all your power comes on late.
you build me an all motor car with 400rwhp i'll give you my props as long as ur budget is 3000 and u gotta install everything in 3 hours as well, no downtime allowed

i wasnt trying to own you... not to mention with any FI kit you have the ability to turn up the boost as long as ur engien can handle it, and even make more power... try turning a **** with an NA motor, and making more power
Old 08-26-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Seal
you build me an all motor car with 400rwhp i'll give you my props as long as ur budget is 3000 and u gotta install everything in 3 hours as well, no downtime allowed
If your budget is $3000, you shouldn't even think of going forced induction, especially when your shortblock has hyperexplosive pistons in it.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM

A turbo car is a lot more forgiving on things like the clutch, driveshaft and rearend. Building a N/A car, expecting to produce the same horsepower numbers as the turbo car, you will definitly have to address the rest of the drivetrain because of the ground pounding torque. A nitrous car is the same way... the torque multiplication at low RPM's is almost certain to F some stuff up.

You do have to consider turbo lag... but in a street situation it seems like it would help. Why have all the power out of the hole if you can't hook up? At the strip with slicks is a different story. Also: Turbo cars, up to a certain level, can run about the same on the street as they do at the track.

Back when the STS Turbos were new, and you could get them for under 3g's, I think it would have been worth a shot. One of the first things that turned me on to the STS system was the price and easy install, but now the price is nearly as much as a front mount kit... so... whatever floats your boat.

I would check with Jose before buying anything. www.forcedinductions.com

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Kit