Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

STS truck nets 669rwhp/744rwtq @ 9.5psi!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 02:42 PM

Re: STS truck nets 669rwhp/744rwtq @ 9.5psi!!!

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
Sounds like Purevl's car....maybe not. His made 634rwhp with 10psi. I believe he was going to push to 14psi and re-dyno. If he hit 700rwhp, then thats pretty good. I have an STS customer that made 777rwhp.

Jose

Its the same person (Mike). Slowhawk mentioned his 10psi numbers with the turbo cam, he posted 700rwhp on a non fbody site .
Old 03-19-2005, 10:09 AM

Well Mike just posted on the other site, 640 at 10psi. So the 700 must have been with 14psi. Also looks like he doesn't buy the truck #'s as well.

Jose
Old 03-19-2005, 10:34 AM
CJ

Whats this I hear about the truck running a 13.9@100mph. HAHAHA, no wonder you dont ever hear anything about track times.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 AM

And there it is..lol. He is trying to back out of that 667 now saying that "It doesn't feel like 660 hp" Now they are saying it may have been a dyno glitch.

With that kind of hp..even "severely traction limited" he should run way over 100 mph. I would like to see his 1/8 mile mph.

Man..this thread died quick.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:28 PM

Well.....those sure are some great times. And if you sit back and listen closely you can hear the crickets chirping.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GhostZ
Well.....those sure are some great times. And if you sit back and listen closely you can hear the crickets chirping.
LMAO
Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 PM

I think the truck was 4wd, that adds 350lbs on the 90's, 300 on the 2000's.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
I think the truck was 4wd, that adds 350lbs on the 90's, 300 on the 2000's.
According to some posts on LS1tech he's pretty well gutted and weighing ~3300lbs.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not hating on STS too much just that the dyno was obviously wrong which made the STS swingers start preaching about "where are the haters now?" and "so this turbo will never work huh?" blah blah blah.

I just like how folks claim that everyone and their dog said this turbo would never work....I don't remember anyone credible or with an ounce of common sense say it wouldn't work, only it wouldn't be as effective or efficient as a traditional mount setup. It seems as if it's all well and good for the STS swingers to talk smack on the STS haters but God forbid you say something bad about STS, then all the swingers are all over you.

I was the first person to post questions about this kit on CZ28 WELL before Rick came out with it to the public as he posted it on our local Fbody board and I went down to his shop in Orem to see it first hand. At the time the only Camaro with this kit on it was Brandon and Rick assured me that there would be no difference in spool time from a traditional mount, it would require no tuning, no intercooler and that it would outrun a traditional mount setup seeing as how Brandon's Camaro on low boost was faster than Rick's turbo Chevelle or Nova...whichever it is. All of these have turned out false as there is a difference in spool time, even with the compensation of A/R...of course tuning is needed, meth is definitely needed as well as an intercooler for higher boost, etc.

I understand that as something evolves you understand it more so I'm sure Rick was talking before he knew how well it was going to work and what would be needed in the end. I just didn't like how Rick came off as a crappy used car salesman and made assurances and guarantees before knowing how well it would work and what would need to be done. Hell, he didn't even know of tuning resources for fbody's so I let him know about Tunercat and LT1-Edit. Of course this was years ago and knowledge has increased but still my first meeting with Rick left a very poor taste in my mouth.

Anyway truck has run amazing times on 5psi....11.9 if I remember correctly. So I'm not hating one bit....it's quite an accomplishment for him to be running that fast on only 5psi....I just think it funny how all the STS swingers see these numbers and automatically assume that getting an STS is going to give them ~50HP/lb of boost.

Anyway...I'm sure he'll be out to the track and run a much better number and get a good dyno of the truck. It's good to see some good track times from trucks and GTO's....I just wish we would see some killer times with Fbody's.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:20 PM

damn, I got zero email notifications on this thread so I thought it dropped to the bottom. LOL

Ok, Allens truck is 94' but with a built 4l60E and a modern LQ4 6.0L and harness. NOT the old school TBI motor in it. I'm not sure of the weight at all so I can't say anything on that.

After doing the math we all agreed that there is just no way he could make that much power from just the 5psi boost increase and adding an FMIC. He even agreeed to it and called his dyno manufacture to get more info one what could have been wrong. I doubt he was out to try and pull someones leg. Allen's not that kind of guy. If anything it is my bad for jumping the gun and posting his results before I did the math. I was just overly excited at the results and never thought how impossible it was.

Anyone judging his ONLY run on this setting is stupid IMO and doesn't know squat about racing. Those who have actually been down the 1320 more than a dozen times knows that sometimes you lose traction so badly that you keep peddling it only to get pissed and give up and just ride out the rest of the 1/4 at part throttle. Hell I did that the first time out with my project truck. I ran an 18@82mph and that's only because I floored it after the 1/8th to figure out the stock shift points. I turned around and ran another traciton limited 15.5@90mph. What if I would have stopped after my first pass? Would I have been judged by that single run? So my lil truck runs 18s stock? LOL

Anyway, I don't buy into all the STS haters and Nut Swingers. I enjoy my kit and respect others opions be them bad or good. I do not go out of my way to prove anything right or wrong. I just post results and this time the results were flawed. I appologize for that 5.0This and Geoff know how I am.

Jose, I didn't mean for you to get dragged into a debate on the PTK kit. I was simply stating how people didn't doubt the results of the LT1 kit nearly as much even though the car gained like 30mph on a faily low boost kit. Not that I didn't believe it but I was just using it as an example.

In closing I am building a new motor and setup for this lighter weight regular cab 2wd truck to see what the kit will do on a lighter platform. I see how well it it working on the GTOs so I assume I'll see similar results and my hopes is to be in the 125-130mph range when it's all said and done and if the STS can't get me there then a front mount will go in. I just wanna see how far the STS can be pushed before I lose spoolability or HAVE to add nitrous (which IMO is a bandaid).. I don't hate, I'm equal opportunist.

No matter what I'll probably throw my wet kit on there anyway, front mount or not. LOL
Old 03-20-2005, 05:33 PM

You hate because you're a trucker Breaker one niner, this is the STS rubber duck

I wouldn't consider nitrous a bandaid on a larger turbo setup, more like an energy drink or a nice stiff espresso.

Have you seen a big spool difference since the FMIC and T67? I'm sure if you go much bigger you will have to use a little squirt since you may be beyond the point where A/R sizing and backpressure are going to be at the place of diminishing returns.

Keep up the good work....you're one of the few STS owners who take everything with a grain of salt.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:50 PM

LMAO!!

Thanks man.

On my 5.3L I lowered the compression from 9.5:1 to about 8.7:1 (stock 6.0L heads) and added the GT67 .96 A/R. I had horrible lag off the line. Once rolling lag was not an issue though as it would spool very fast. After adding the FMIC I also changed to a .81 A/R but the lag was almost identicle. I can only assume the lag would have been reduced with the lower A/R but adding the FMIC increased it back to where it was before. Either way it was totally livable as most of my street races are from a roll and at the track I can boost off the line so lag isn't an issue with winning or losing, just annoying at times.

On this new motor we are doing a 9:1 CR and bigger cubes and have learned more about timing and fuel at lower RPMs to help get the turbo spooled quicker. I am pretty sure I'll have to go to a T70 or 76 turbo though to reach my goals and use a .96 A/R. This increase in cubes would normally fix the lag problem on the GT67 as the SS Silverado STS kit comes with the GT67 on their base kit and it spools great, but I will be upping the turbo also so I may end up with the same amount of lag AGAIN. To combat this I'll do the thermal coating on the exhaust, turbo blanket and any other little things I can do to help with lag.

I have a wet kit sitting in the garage from the T/A that I will end up using on the truck but for posterity's sake I want to do this in steps so I, and the rest of the internet community, can learn form each step. Plus as we all know it's better to take small steps than to throw a ton of new crap into the mix then try to tune it. Turbo, wet nitrous and methanol through a stock manifold has me a lil worried as well as the fact I'll almost never use the nitrous on the street anyway so that makes for 2 different tunes.. LOL
Old 03-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by GhostZ
It seems as if it's all well and good for the STS swingers to talk smack on the STS haters but God forbid you say something bad about STS, then all the swingers are all over you.

Welcome to my world. One STS owner even wants me to die in a fire because I have a negative opinion of STS.

F8L Z71.... you remain to the day the only cool STS owner on the boards that I know
Old 03-20-2005, 10:19 PM

Hahahahahaha.....well I don't own one and I want your short and curlies singed in a fire

There's a couple decent owners but the majority have some serious complex's.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by JZ 97 SS 1500
Well Mike just posted on the other site, 640 at 10psi. So the 700 must have been with 14psi. Also looks like he doesn't buy the truck #'s as well.

Jose
Yeah, it was a misprint on the other site. He meant 14psi...I asked Slowhawk in person Saturday.

Last edited by RealQuick; 03-21-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Yeah, it was a misprint on the other site. He meant 14psi...I asked him in person Saturday.
Still nice numbers nonetheless.

Quick Reply: STS truck nets 669rwhp/744rwtq @ 9.5psi!!!