Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

self conatined vortech???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 10:38 PM

self conatined vortech???

Is or has anyone ran a self contained oil unit like a fuel tank for Nitrous or something for oil supply on a vortech as apposed to tapping into the motor?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by LALT1
Is or has anyone ran a self contained oil unit like a fuel tank for Nitrous or something for oil supply on a vortech as apposed to tapping into the motor?
>I think its a good idea and wish I did something like that instead of tapping into my Canton oil pan.
there is an air oil cooler that has the abilitly to cool to seperate systems which could have been used to cool the intercooler and oil for the S/C head unit, along with a 3 gallon fuel cell for the oil.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:23 AM

a) Tapping the oil pan is really not that big of a deal. I've done a few so far and it's hard to screw up. . . especially on the LT1. You can actually stick your finger through the hole and feel around for any shavings thay may have fallen inside (not that I've ever found any).

b) If you're that paranoid of tapping the oil pan, then you can simply pull the motor mount bolts (bolt), lift the engine a few inches, and pull the pan off the motor. Tap it on the bench if you want to or even weld a nipple into it.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 AM

not that I am affraid of tapping teh pan, I have done a few myself for customers before, wa smore interested in not having trash carry thru the blower if teh motor let go.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by LALT1
not that I am affraid of tapping teh pan, I have done a few myself for customers before, wa smore interested in not having trash carry thru the blower if teh motor let go.
Gotcha. I always got comfort in the fact that there is a strainer, a filter, then another strainer between the oil in the pan and the supercharger. And besides, you could kinda' extrapolate that to every component in the engine. What if a lifter tears up, then you can trash the whole engine. Or if a timing chain chews up. . . etc. . . But we don't have separate oiling systems for all that stuff.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by engineermike
Gotcha. I always got comfort in the fact that there is a strainer, a filter, then another strainer between the oil in the pan and the supercharger. And besides, you could kinda' extrapolate that to every component in the engine. What if a lifter tears up, then you can trash the whole engine. Or if a timing chain chews up. . . etc. . . But we don't have separate oiling systems for all that stuff.
good point, its just something that happens and when it does, theres really nothing you can do about it but hope you caught it soon enough to prevent even more damage.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:06 PM

The Vortech oil feed is actually a fine spray; there is a brass nozzle threaded into the head unit with a small orifice. You're more likely to oil starve the blower with debris clogging the nozzle, than getting crap in the blower head.