CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/)
-   -   Remote Turbo Mounting (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/remote-turbo-mounting-204616/)

therealmagyver 12-18-2003 02:11 PM

Remote Turbo Mounting

My twin is going to visit a dude selling his kit this weekend to test it out. Looks good from what I hear. The price seems reasonable too, but I'm not turbo expert. I know I don't want clutter under my hood. The turbo is under the car where the muffler would be. I can't post a link cuz they are not sponsors, but yall can do a search on google.com

Aklaim 12-18-2003 02:29 PM

Im pretty sure you can post a link to it......just dont try and sell it to us. ;)

therealmagyver 12-18-2003 06:56 PM

Not trying to sell, but I am excited. The clutter under the engine is the main reason I haven't installed turbo.

JordonMusser 12-18-2003 07:00 PM

I would rather have clutter and go fast, than no clutter and go slow :)

magius231 12-19-2003 10:13 AM

if your referring to the sts turbo kit, I wouldn't really say its slow...maybe not full race performance but for someone woh doesn't want to cut up their engine compartment and still make good power it seems to be doing really well.

JordonMusser 12-19-2003 05:23 PM

I wasnt saying the STS kit is slow, I am simply saying that as a "hot rodder" there are trade offs. I aint gonna give up things like AC/ power steering etc.. but more stuffer under the hood is something ill take if it makes my car make 2.5X more hp ;)

besides, most single kits mount the turbo down low, and you really cant even tell its there from on the top.

I decided to mount mine right smack dab on the top :D

aram 12-20-2003 05:31 PM

You have any pics of the turbo mounted there? It would be cool to see.

12 Sec GTA 12-20-2003 05:48 PM

The STS turbo kit for the LS1 made 500+rwhp with 9psi and water injection.

Yeah, that's slow. :rolleyes:

sleeperz28 12-20-2003 06:00 PM

Clutter, a common problem with the engine bay of an LT1. However, I have 2 turbos under my hood mounted nice and high;) and I bet I can still change plugs faster then a kit with a turbo mounted in the back of the car.
Plus I dont have to worry about a return oil pump failing, causing the turbo seals to fail. Then what are you left with:confused: a nice trail of blue in your rear view, well until all the oil is gone:cry:

JordonMusser 12-20-2003 06:08 PM

12secGTA-

let me clarify that i was NOT saying the STS kit is "slow". that was not my point.

were those dyno results at sea level? if I remember correctly, they were not.. and you cant really get an accurate number with a turbo car at anything other than close to sea level (corrections dont work properly).

aram 12-20-2003 06:28 PM

Is it just me or does the methonol injection seem to have a lot to do with the dyno numbers coming from the sts kit?

Maybe it's just me but using injected methonal to do all the tuning after installing any kind of FI just doesn't sit right with me.

magius231 12-21-2003 03:03 PM

Originally posted by sleeperz28
Clutter, a common problem with the engine bay of an LT1. However, I have 2 turbos under my hood mounted nice and high;) and I bet I can still change plugs faster then a kit with a turbo mounted in the back of the car.
Plus I dont have to worry about a return oil pump failing, causing the turbo seals to fail. Then what are you left with:confused: a nice trail of blue in your rear view, well until all the oil is gone:cry:

many turbo kits come with an oil pump, not just this one...my question though is what did you have to lose/relocate to get all that in there? The setup you have is nice, don't get me wrong, and I would love to be able to do something like that with mine, however I have no interest in having to change THAT much in the engine bay just to get it to work (being my daily commuter vehicle). For that reason the STS setup seems really good to me.

I think Rick @ STS mentioned there is a LED failure light for the oil pump, not sure if that made it into production?

JordonMusser 12-21-2003 03:29 PM

really no need for a failure light, you will know when you see blue smoke... this is a pretty good warning, as long as you dont continue to drive you will be ok.

Rival 12-21-2003 06:59 PM

What about the idea of someone unbolting the tubro from under the car? It is nice to know on one can get to under the hood.

JordonMusser 12-22-2003 02:59 AM

first of all, the car would have to be jacked up. not to mention the bolts are not exactly easy to get to, and I know on James' setup the bolts are actually on the top side, even tho the turbo is on the bottom.

And obviously you are not aware that it takes 2.5 seconds to pop an fbody hood (with out getting into the cabin)