Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

PTK + Twin IC Pressure Drop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:22 AM

Question PTK + Twin IC Pressure Drop?

I am ready to order my PTK kit with a PT-76GTS turbo, but would like to go with a twin IC setup rather then the FMIC due to engine cooling and weigh placement.

What I planned on doing was have the turbo outlet Y out to the two sides of the car to the ICs, and then come back up and Y back together in front of the TB (similar to another prominent members car).

My question is, would having the output of the turbo Y out cause a disruptance in the air flow and cause a pressure drop? Would the properties of a single continuous pipe (like the standard FMIC setup) leading off the turbo be much better?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:41 AM

Re: PTK + Twin IC Pressure Drop?

The Y should not cause a pressure drop... It's a pretty smooth transition.

All intercoolers will induce a pressure drop though. I'm not sure how much of a drop the twins produce vs. the FMIC. Someone else can chime in on that.

The good thing about turbos is that you can control the amount of boost in the intake though. Run your wastegate line from the intake and you shouldn't see any pressure drop (if the turbo is not already maxed out). The turbo will spin a little faster and your pre-intercooler tubing will see higher pressures than before adding intercoolers though.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Roadie
The Y should not cause a pressure drop... It's a pretty smooth transition.

All intercoolers will induce a pressure drop though. I'm not sure how much of a drop the twins produce vs. the FMIC. Someone else can chime in on that.

The good thing about turbos is that you can control the amount of boost in the intake though. Run your wastegate line from the intake and you shouldn't see any pressure drop (if the turbo is not already maxed out). The turbo will spin a little faster and your pre-intercooler tubing will see higher pressures than before adding intercoolers though.
I know the older ATI twins were not as efficient, but these are actually custom twins. No back-to-back comparison data though. I just wanted to calrify that.

Last edited by snorkelface; 01-31-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:25 PM

I'm ditching the older twin intercooler set up on my D1 you are welcome to try it out, from what I read the new twin intercooler set up is about 1.4 inches thicker and cools better, however there is no way it'll fit the LT1 cars. You might try going with INTMD8's vertical twin intercooler set up and see how it fits. In the end the twin inter coolers and all of the piping to run it will probably weigh as much as a single FMIC if not more.

-B
Old 01-31-2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
I'm ditching the older twin intercooler set up on my D1 you are welcome to try it out, from what I read the new twin intercooler set up is about 1.4 inches thicker and cools better, however there is no way it'll fit the LT1 cars. You might try going with INTMD8's vertical twin intercooler set up and see how it fits. In the end the twin inter coolers and all of the piping to run it will probably weigh as much as a single FMIC if not more.

-B
I may have to go the FMIC at least in the begging. Although I can get the twin ICs themselves for a little less than the FMIC, it will probably cost me another $1k to have the custom piping from the turbo to the ICs, and then back up to the engine. That's just going out of my budget right now.

Maybe I can upgrade in the future after I can sell the FMIC, and am revived from spending all this money. Does $1k sound right for that extra custom piping?