Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Problem with procharger pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 PM

Problem with procharger pulley

I had my P600B rebuilt by procharger about 1000 miles ago and the bolt to the SC pulley has started to back out allready. It only backs out enough to allow the washer to vibrate and make a horrible sound. Since then., I backed the bolt out as much as space would permit, put some blue loctite on there and tightened it up best I could but that didnt last long. I'm getting ready to drop the blower so I can impact the bolt with some red loctite(what ATI said they use from the rebuild).
Any suggestions and is this normal for the P600B? I wonder if too much belt tension would cause this. Suggestions?
BTW I'm getting ready to move the MAF to the pressure side, vent the BP to atmosphere and really simplify the intake side of the blower. I'm waiting for my parts, here's where I got my solution from:
http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/ride/342629/2

TIA guys!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:42 PM

Re: Problem with procharger pulley

The use of red locktight is abnormal. However the bolt should have been impacted in the first place.. I'm not supprised the bolt is loosening up.. Hit it with the impact stay on it and count it out 2 full seconds no more.

This should keep that bolt at bay..

Clint
Old 01-25-2006, 08:48 PM

I have a P600B and had this problem about 3 or 4 times, each time right after I got it back from Procharger. The first time I sent it back was for a complete rebuild. The pulley came off within 500 miles and blew the seal out. I sent it back to Procharger for new seals and explained what happened and they assured me they use locktite on the pulley, but it came off again right away. This went on 3 to 4 times . I asked them for an exact belt size and they could only get me close because of different applications and pulley sizes for each application blah blah blah, so I went 3/8" smaller on the belt and it did not happen again. I can only surmise that the belt was hitting itself just enough when it was under boost to loosen that pulley, but it's only a guess on my part, but it has not happened again in over a year. Good luck
Old 01-26-2006, 01:02 AM

Jay, did the pulley come off completly??? The belt I have on there now is pretty old and stretched but it doesnt slip. DO you guys think putting too much tension on the belt could cause this? It seems by Jays answer that smaller=tighter there's a bit of innuendo ther for the guys.... and that fixed his problem. Right now I plan on dropping the blower, red loctite and an impact for a few seconds. Hope this works (fingers crossed) Did anyone look at the pics posted? Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:24 PM

Use Loctite 262, and an impact. It may require some heat to remove at a later date.

blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by markinkc69z; 01-26-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM

words from the gods-thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 05:47 PM

The pulley never came completely off, however after about 500 miles it would just loosen up . So I started looking at it very closely and noticed a trace of dust. Now I run the smallest pulley for this, 2.65", so I was looking right at this pulley for a problem. I started the car, took a very bright light and shined it at the pulley. I could not see a definite gap between the belt going in both directions. So I shut it off and found I was able to push down from the top and pull up from the bottom and get the belt to touch. So I loosened the pulley, put loctite on it, put the smaller belt on and tried it. By smaller I'm talking 3/8" which is nothing for approx 57" of travel. Anyway I did not have the problem all year. The reason I tried a different belt is that I couldn't get a straight answer on an exact size, but it seemed to cure the problem. Good Luck
Old 01-26-2006, 06:40 PM

I'll have to look at the tension on my old *** belt to see. I just finished hooking up the wideband and a fuel pressure guage. right now I'm waiting for some parts from Jegs. Any idea on how long they usually take to ship-I ordered Sunday night to Las Vegas.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 AM

Aldough I have a Paxton VR4, I always use locktide on pulley bolts and impeller bolts to.
I don't think it matters if the belt is tight or not.