Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Powerdyne Superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 05:04 AM

Question Powerdyne Superchargers?

http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommer...41&prmenbr=361

Ok you know the old saying "what you pay for is what you get"? Well, I was wondering does this apply to Powerdyne super chargers. I have been trying to decide whether to go for nitrous or forced induction in the long run. Well, super chargers like the Vortech models all run easily over 3K. Then I find this Powerdyne model which doesn't even cost $2500. How good are Powerdyne superchargers? Anyone use or have had experience with Powerdyne products? I mean is this thing cheap because in reality it is a cheap product or is it just a good deal?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:42 PM

Re: Powerdyne Superchargers?

Originally posted by Cerwin Vega Fan
http://www.jegs.com//cgi-bin/ncommer...41&prmenbr=361

Ok you know the old saying "what you pay for is what you get"? Well, I was wondering does this apply to Powerdyne super chargers. I have been trying to decide whether to go for nitrous or forced induction in the long run. Well, super chargers like the Vortech models all run easily over 3K. Then I find this Powerdyne model which doesn't even cost $2500. How good are Powerdyne superchargers? Anyone use or have had experience with Powerdyne products? I mean is this thing cheap because in reality it is a cheap product or is it just a good deal?
In all honesty, i think you would be better off going with the bottle. bang for the buck, you going to get more out of your n2o kit then you will off an Powerdyne. The Powerdyne is an entry level s/c and last I check unless you over spin them all your goign to get out of them is 6psi. Now if thats all you want than go for it butr i think you can do better as far as superchargers go.

Oh, and there customer service sucks.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:43 PM

Another thing is that if you decide to go with a blower you better have money set aside for a rebuild.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:40 PM

That's a decent price for a 4.5 lb. PD. Figure on about 50-60 RWHP. The 4.5 kit is fairly safe for a stock motor. Most people want more and quickly upgrade to the 6.5 pulley. That also means you need to add a better fuel pump and an aftermarket ignition (MSD BTM works well). Once you do that you will have spent the difference in price for the Vortech. I really like Powerdyne and have had no major issues with them or their products. If you ever think you'll want more than 6 lb. boost (and you probably will) ... DO NOT GO WITH PD ... it can't be upgraded at this time.

Later ... Larry S.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:48 AM

ok i dont meen to hijack your thread but i have a quick question about pd sc...ok i plan on buyinhg the pd 4.5 too because i dont want alot off boost...but will i have to worry about a rebuild even thoe i baby the car i dont really drive it to hard....
Old 06-16-2004, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by SiDeWaYZz28
ok i dont meen to hijack your thread but i have a quick question about pd sc...ok i plan on buyinhg the pd 4.5 too because i dont want alot off boost...but will i have to worry about a rebuild even thoe i baby the car i dont really drive it to hard....
IMO I would stay away from superchargers if you are not planning on rebuilding. Anytime you put boost to a motor which is not designed for it you are asking for trouble. Yeah 4.5lb is not alot of boost but you can still do damage. Some people go years without problems while others may go hours.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:24 PM

As noted above ... you always have to consider that a SC can hurt a motor. Adding cylinder pressure has its affects. And with a poor tune the motor can be toast in a heartbeat. Things are generally safer with heads and cam. The SC is usually looked at as a quick way for power without tearing into the motor.

Later .. .Larry S.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:37 AM

Superchargers will not destroy your engine. That argument is tired. It's all in the tuning. It also isn't a quick way to make power without tearing into the engine - it is my preferred way.

An LS1 won't even flinch at 4.5 pounds of boost. They will run 8 pounds all day long if you spend the money to get it tuned right.

Miek M
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by LS1 Bird
Superchargers will not destroy your engine. That argument is tired. It's all in the tuning. It also isn't a quick way to make power without tearing into the engine - it is my preferred way.

An LS1 won't even flinch at 4.5 pounds of boost. They will run 8 pounds all day long if you spend the money to get it tuned right.

Miek M
Sorry I am going to have to disagree. I have seen people with cars that are tuned great and still unforunately encounter motor failure. I also know someone who beats the hell out of his car and has been running it like that for 3 years.

Anytime you make the engine work harder you will wear components quicker.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:05 PM

I forgot to mention that I did agree on that one point - a supercharger is not going to make your engine last longer. Adding any substantial amount of power will shorten its life somewhat. A bad tune will shorten it almost instantly. Beating the hell out of the car all the time will also do so.

With any major power adder, a bit of moderation is a good thing to be blessed with. I was just resisting the notion that you WILL have problems with superchargers. It isn't that cut and dry.

Mike M
Old 06-17-2004, 09:52 PM

I run a 6 p.ps.i. power dyne and have had no problems what so ever. I also run a wet kit 175 shot at the same time, still no problems. proper set up and tune have been very key to my success.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:57 PM

Made 340rwhp/372rwtq with a 4.5psi Powerdyne, DIY CAI, Hooker shorties, and a cutout. The temp needle was at 210* and the ambient air was 105*.

Your knock sensor becomes very important once you install any kind of blower. Mine stopped reading knock and my motor went south. I would replace your KS when you put the blower on.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by LS1 Bird
I forgot to mention that I did agree on that one point - a supercharger is not going to make your engine last longer. Adding any substantial amount of power will shorten its life somewhat. A bad tune will shorten it almost instantly. Beating the hell out of the car all the time will also do so.

With any major power adder, a bit of moderation is a good thing to be blessed with. I was just resisting the notion that you WILL have problems with superchargers. It isn't that cut and dry.

Mike M
I understand what you are saying. One of the biggest problems I see on this board is alot of people think a supercharger is plug and play. They forget to look at the other costs such as plugs, scanning tool, tuning, fuel system , etc.... People need to understand once you go the FI route you must be prepared to spend a good chunck of money to be able to drive the car effectively.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:09 PM

ok so it would be best to dyno tune your car and is ok to use a lt4 knock mod??and what kinda fuel mods should i do with a 4.5 boost??thanks for all the info guys ..im starting to understand all the things you need to do for fi....thanks again guys
Old 06-20-2004, 12:38 AM

Powerdyne

my car runs fine, 355 LT4 (real LT4, not just the top end conversion). I have bigger injectors and in-line fuel pump which came with my original blower, Vortech. I pulled my Vortech and switched to the Powerdyne because it has a cooler air charge (no hot oil line), no worry about contaminated oil if it fails, and is so much more stealthy. Its much lighter too.

95 Camaro Ultra Z - Supercharged LT4
96 Impala SS - Turbocharged/Intercooled & LT4'd

Last edited by JACLT1S; 06-20-2004 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne Superchargers?