CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/)
-   -   Powerdyne on 94 LT1, need info, injector size, fuel pump etc... (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/forced-induction-10/powerdyne-94-lt1-need-info-injector-size-fuel-pump-etc-843946/)

Injuneer 12-04-2019 09:50 AM

Re: Powerdyne on 94 LT1, need info, injector size, fuel pump etc...

Out of business many years ago. Unit was just not reliable. This place seems to have a lot of replacement and upgrade parts:

https://928motorsports.com/parts/per...rebuildkit.php

canbaufo 12-04-2019 08:49 PM

Since you said "pulley belt", I suppose you may be talking about the external belt. If that's the case the Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V works well. I don't recall the correct size when using stock pullies, but it's probably at least close to PN 4060407. Best to just try one from a local parts store in case you need to return it for a different size (of course if you have the original belt just take it to the store to match up).

If you're talking about the internal belt, 928 Motorsports (mentioned above) has some good options. I'm using the Continental Super Torque version right now with good success. If you rebuild the unit I suggest either upgrading to the 928 Motorsports impeller shaft (the belt tracking washer is sandwiched into place via assembly and cannot come loose) or make sure the tracking washer on your old shaft can be peened on VERY tightly (cannot be worn in the inner diameter area of the washer at all). Otherwise that tracking washer can come loose and wreak havoc on the internal belt, bearings and cogs. Horrible design flaw, relying on a tracking washer that is merely peened into place when it's spinning at ~35,000 RPM.

The 928 setup is working great at the moment. I replaced everything in my unit but the impeller itself. The 928 parts are MUCH better than the crummy OEM Powerdyne junk. Going under was well deserved by them, in my opinion. Wish I had bought a nice used ATI or Vortech in the beginning, instead of trying to save money going with "Flowerdyne". It can be a nice and simple low-boost unit though, once you've changed nearly everything about the kit other than the head unit itself, LOL...and it leaves a bit to be desired too. Every part of my kit has been altered some way (added a bypass valve, converted to solid tubing, different crank and blower pullies, complete blower rebuild, shimmed to correct a pulley misalignment, etc).

Consider other options if you're breaking into the blower IMO

Abdulrahman 12-09-2019 06:58 AM

yes I meant the external belt. But thank you very much for the heads up information.
Luckily my unit still functions as should be but may be because of the low mileage so far. I have just 35K miles on the car and the Powerdyne was installed on 1998 and its the 4.5psi.

frankly I don't know what to expect or what kind of preventive maintenance I can make since its according to Powerdyne doesn't need maintenance the reason I bought it that time.

The car is being taken a good care of all these years and I am currently maintaining few issues and replacing consumables.

if there is something I can do to prolong its life I would be grateful if you can share.

Thanks

canbaufo 12-09-2019 10:09 PM

At 4.5 PSI you may be in good shape for awhile. Usually these things blow up because people try to eek out all they can and push their limits. Don't over-tighten the external belt, and use the biggest one that will work (this maximizes the contact patch or "wrap area" on the blower pulley, mitigating belt slip and requiring less tension, improving bearing life).

If you have an automatic transmission the blower will last longer. That helps tremendously with reducing over revving, reducing shock to the internal belt and cogs from hard shifts, etc. Drag redials are also hard on it, anything that imparts shock to the unit puts it at risk.

That's about all there is to it. 1/4 turn rule on belt tension (not high pitch banjo string tight), don't subject it to high RPM too much, and reduce shocks to the unit.

Abdulrahman 12-09-2019 11:52 PM

Thank you. see nowadays and after 22 years the age of this car given its great current condition I just want to preserve it and maintain it and keep it in great condition. No harsh driving or racing anymore. I am 22 years older too. May be just some engine revving when mustangs are around lol

Abdulrahman 12-10-2019 12:21 AM

finally I got a signature :yes:

Engine still stock !

canbaufo 12-10-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Abdulrahman (Post 7005579)
Thank you. see nowadays and after 22 years the age of this car given its great current condition I just want to preserve it and maintain it and keep it in great condition. No harsh driving or racing anymore. I am 22 years older too. May be just some engine revving when mustangs are around lol

YW. Similar situation here. If I haven't sold mine by July I'll be the second owner of 22 years.

Injuneer 06-17-2023 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by annamarks (Post 7016357)
An FMU will do the job but it's not the preferred method because it's not as reliable or precise as using correctly sized injectors and fuel pump.

Do you think we're too stupid to realize you are a SPAMMER building post count by copying and pasting from earlier posts, in this case post #9.

ADMINISTRATOR