Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Powerdyne on 94 LT1, need info, injector size, fuel pump etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Powerdyne on 94 LT1, need info, injector size, fuel pump etc...

I recently purchased a powerdyne supercharger for my 94 Lt1. My car has full exhaust and intake, 4.10 gears in a m6,and a few other things. Stock cam and heads, stock bottom end. Has about 75000 miles on it.

It is a 6 psi blower and has all the brackets and piping. It also included "an upgraded msd box".
What do I need (or would be a good idea) to install with the supercharger?

I plan to get a mail order tune before I install the blower. Do I need bigger injectors and a fuel pump?
What are some good parts to use?
Do i need to gap my plugs differently (from .55 stock)?
How about an intercooler or water injection system? Is it worth the extra money for my application? What kind of power boost should I expect from either of these?

I have the extra funds and was thinking about doing a cam swap at the same time. Would it be a good idea to have new valvesprings, lifters etc with a supercharger, or should I wait to do the cam?
Also any recommendations on a cam would be nice, I was gonna do a cc502 or cc305 cam, maybe a cc503, before I bought the supercharger. I live in CA so it has to pass emissions, and this car is my daily driver. I'm not sure what the difference is between a blower and NA cam.

Last edited by cyteone; 12-14-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Re: Powerdyne on 94 LT1, need info, injector size, fuel pump etc...

cyteone:
You will need bigger injectors. My Powerdyne started as the 4.5 psig version but with an SC pulley change and cooler, denser winter air I can see 6 psig.
Also, I would run out of capacity with the stock injectors over 5000 rpm (100% duty cycle). With the 37# injectors I record a low 80% duty cycle. 42#/hr injectors are also commonly used after upgrades. The stock pump is close to capacity but still provides maintains the required pressure. 190 l/hr works out to about 38#/hr per injector. I use Autolite AP104 plugs (1.5 range colder) @ .035" gap and they work and appear fine. The original Delcos lost the platinum pucks (common problem) soon after I added the PowerDyne. My only other ignition change was swapping the coil for the MSD coil. Works fine for me but some have had trouble with MSD coils. Since you'll be moving the coil from the stock location to a cooler spot you should be good. I easily pass the New Jersey pollution tests but I've heard the California DMV (CARB?) tests are tougher. Good Luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I found some ford green top 42lb. Injectors ev1 from a 03 mustang. Would these be a good fit, and can I use the stock fuel pump with them? You said the stock 190lph pump works out to about 38#/hr would I have to run a 255lph pump to get 42lbs/hr, or will I not be using the full rate of the injector with my current mods?

Is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator required?

For the plugs I have copper Ngk tr55s would these work fine for a while?
The plugs are a PITA, I have to remove the headers to do them.

If I can do the fuel pump and plugs later when I get heads and cam that would make it a lot easier for me.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Can't comment on the Ford injectors other than I believe 2003 Fords run their system at a lower pressure (38 psig?) so the 42's probably flow ~ 45#/hr at LT1 fuel pressures. I don't believe you would need a 255 l/hr pump at this time but a serious after market cam and/or some head work and you would. Adding just the PD to your current setup, 42#ers would probably only need 70 to 75% of their capacity. You don't need an adjustable FP regulator. The stocker is vac/pressure compensated and the PowerDyne kits came with a boost compensated regulator that can be added in series if necessary. I believe the 6 psig PD kits were sold with an inline booster fuel pump. So even head improvements and cam might be covered pressure wise if you add the pump from the kit. Yes, the plugs (depending on the headers) are a pain. When my original plugs lost their pucks the gap increased to ~.080" ... even 3.5 to 4 psig was (~ 4500 rpm) was quenching the spark. The AP104s ended that problem and a couple years down the road they're still good with no change in gap. Don't know about the TR55s, perhaps someone else can comment on them.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Okay so I'll get 42lb injectors, a water/meth injection system, a coil for the msd box, and a tune. Can you recommend a good tuner?

I have a cc502 cam I could throw in there later and I would upgrade the fuel pump at the same time. Would this be a decent cam for the blower?
I can use the cam in my other car too so if you can think of a better fit let me know.

Last edited by cyteone; 12-15-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 AM

Bryan at PCM For Less does a pretty good job if you can't find a good tuner locally.

Also, go ahead and invest in the Racetronix 255 kit for these cars. Great product for the money and it'll last longer than the Powerdyne.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:22 PM

I found that vortec sells fuel management units for about $170 at summit.
Would an fmu take the place of bigger injectors and a tune?
Its seems like it would be a lot cheaper... Is a new fuel pump needed with an fmu?
Pros and cons of a fmu vs bigger injectors and tune?

Last edited by cyteone; 12-16-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM

cyteone:
When you install the supercharger you WILL need to tune the PCM's parameters. The factory timing advance will have to be reduced over the entire rpm range at 1 atmosphere along with other changes such as changing the injector constant and minimum pulse width. A new tune will be mandatory. BTW a new 225 l/hr Walbro FP kit can be had for less than $125. If you want the extra 100+ hp at the rear wheels, it will cost you. (it's a nice improvement!)

Last edited by NJ-LE; 12-16-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by cyteone
I found that vortec sells fuel management units for about $170 at summit.
Would an fmu take the place of bigger injectors and a tune?
Its seems like it would be a lot cheaper... Is a new fuel pump needed with an fmu?
Pros and cons of a fmu vs bigger injectors and tune?
An FMU will do the job but it's not the preferred method because it's not as reliable or precise as using correctly sized injectors and fuel pump. Plus when you want more power you won't have to spend more money to update the fuel system again (unless you go absolutely crazy).

Vortech also recommends using their Trex fuel pump with the FMU for increased pressure. The Trex pump is noisy and it gets old quick. The FMU is also another point of potential failure in the system.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:40 AM

x2 for skipping the FMU- unless you are trying to go the cheap route, most people don't bother.

Get 42lb injectors and a tune and be done.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 AM

Cheap...Reliable...Fast

Pick two as the saying goes.

Personally I'd skip the 42's and get a used set of Motron 60's off of LS1Tech and tune with them. Plenty of room to grow with those injectors.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by NJ-LE
cyteone:
When you install the supercharger you WILL need to tune the PCM's parameters. The factory timing advance will have to be reduced over the entire rpm range at 1 atmosphere along with other changes such as changing the injector constant and minimum pulse width. A new tune will be mandatory. BTW a new 225 l/hr Walbro FP kit can be had for less than $125. If you want the extra 100+ hp at the rear wheels, it will cost you. (it's a nice improvement!)
Actually you can use an MSD6BTM (boost timing master) that can reduce timing via **** control in the dash, it is adjustable so you can reduce timing by x-degrees per lb/boost (attaches to vac line, set it to 1.x lbs). This also includes a soft touch electronic rev limiter (a VERY good idea anyway) and gives you better spark delivery (multi-spark at lower RPM and a more powerful single spark at higher RPM). Of course, you'd have to use it with the stock 24/lb injectors if you'd skip on tuning (you really will have to tune if you change injector size but if not you won't). If you'd never go beyond a stock 6 PSI pulley combo you'd probably be fine with stock or SVO 24/lb injectors (less likely to lock up), a stock Powerdyne FMU (8:1 I think) and the MSD6BTM.

Also the stock Powerdyne inline pump has been on my car with the stock in tank pump for over 10 years without issue, even on my current heads/cam/overdriven PD-355 setup; but it is "better" to go with a Walbro or Racetronix kit. I ran all the Powerdyne kit stuff with an MSD6-BTM without any trouble for quite some time. Actually the first thing to fail me was the MSD (also the crappy Crane ignition that came with the PD kit failed before that, the MSD lasted a long time). I've replaced the bad MSD-BTM with a regular MSD6AL, LT1-Edit, 42# green top's (had to once I went to a heads/cam 355) and removed the PD FMU, stuck with extra inline booster fuel pump from Powerdyne ...all works great with the 355/heads/cam/overdriven-SC setup.

Just food for thought depending on whether you'd want to commit to 6 PSI or plan for growth. Most of us wind up wanting to grow whether we wanted to or not in the beginning, so the advice of starting out with 42# or bigger injectors (try e-bay) and a 255 lph fuel pump, PCM for less or LT1-Edit ....it's all pretty good advice but know that you have options to stick with the stock PCM, FMU, a BTM, and an inline booster fuel pump.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a Racetronix 255lph fuel pump with their wiring kit, 42lb Racetronix injectors for an LS1 (which according to what I've read fits an LT1 Also), a water injection system, and a MSD 6al with coil.
I will have it Dyno-tuned at newtech performance when I get everything on there.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 AM

That's a good start, I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:45 AM

Anyone with Powerdyne supercharger on Camaro 94-97 can advise me with the right replacement part number of supercharger pulley belt please ?

Is the company still around ? as I can see their site is gone, pointing to some other kind of business.

Quick Reply: Powerdyne on 94 LT1, need info, injector size, fuel pump etc...