Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

PCV system set up for turbo....???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM

PCV system set up for turbo....???

Anybody have a good set up for a t/c'd LT1? I've gotten some good ideas on LS1tech, but curious whats being run here for turbocharged LT1's. I need to do this on my ride and was looking for a good set up to use or nice write up to follow.

Thanks,

Eric Bazan
Old 12-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Eric, any reason why you want to keep the PCV?

Are you just wondering how to vent crankcase pressure or do you actually want to keep the little PCV?

I plan on running a line from the pass. side valvecover to a catchcan with a filter on it to vent. Some people run to a can, and then have the can hooked to the intake side of the turbo.

Jon
Old 12-22-2007, 11:02 PM

Yeah, I just want to vent the crankcase pressure. Do I need to keep the little PCV? I was lookin at MightyMouses' set up on LS1tech. Seems pretty involved. What are your thoughts?
Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eric Bazan
Yeah, I just want to vent the crankcase pressure. Do I need to keep the little PCV? I was lookin at MightyMouses' set up on LS1tech. Seems pretty involved. What are your thoughts?

No, you dont need the valve. The valve is there to prevent backflow (since the pcv connects to the TB). You would cap the port on the TB, and just run a line from the valvecover to the catchcan.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:15 PM

Cool, I forgot I need to vent the crankcase. I took her for a little spin around the block and I noticed on decel I get some smoke. I figure its either because I have too much pressure in the crankcase or I need to restrict my feed to the turbo. I know my drain line is in a good position for drainage, so Im not worried about that. I have a function 7 oil feed restrictor Im gonna try. But, I definetly need to relieve the pressure in the crankcase.

On a separate note, what if I accidentally hooked up my wastegate up to the top port, instead of the side port for a short run around the block. Would it harm anything?

E
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM

Cool, I forgot I need to vent the crankcase. I took her for a little spin around the block and I noticed on decel I get some smoke. I figure its either because I have too much pressure in the crankcase or I need to restrict my feed to the turbo. I know my drain line is in a good position for drainage, so Im not worried about that. I have a function 7 oil feed restrictor Im gonna try. But, I definetly need to relieve the pressure in the crankcase.
I would vent the crank case first. If that doesnt clear up the smoke, then put the restrictor in.

On a separate note, what if I accidentally hooked up my wastegate up to the top port, instead of the side port for a short run around the block. Would it harm anything?

E
I think you are OK, just be sure it didnt overboost when it happened. If you didnt make any boost, then it wouldnt have hurt anything.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:28 PM

Why do some people get all involved with their PCV systems? Any particular reason? Or, is more a matter of prefrence? Mighty's is alwful involved where others are pretty simple.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:36 PM

Why do some people get all involved with their PCV systems? Any particular reason? Or, is more a matter of prefrence? Mighty's is alwful involved where others are pretty simple.
I think its preference.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:48 AM

The age old problem of how to properly vent a forced induction motor is continously discussed here. Venting the crankcase to atmosphere using a catchcan seems to be the method of choice, but still presents some problems. Mainly, how does the motor get positive ventilation during not boosted use. Harmfull by-products of combustion still enter the crankcase when in crusing or at idle and will contaminate the oil if not removed. To what extent this occurs, how much the car is driven and how often the oil is changed seems to determine what "system" is installed. Although not always an option, running both a catchcan venting the valve covers and a conventional PCV system would be a good compromise.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Banned

i have a moroso PCV exhaust gas vent kit which utilizes the vaccum from the exhaust to pull out the gasses i to will be deleting the PCV valve cause i dont want any of that in my IC but i have the new edelbrock manifold so no how do i top off the pcv hole on this manifold ?w/o whatever i put in there wont come out.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Banned

BC david has learned alot about ventalatin and ring seal the hard way
Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by jammer94
i have a moroso PCV exhaust gas vent kit which utilizes the vaccum from the exhaust to pull out the gasses i to will be deleting the PCV valve cause i dont want any of that in my IC.

This isn't a bad method to vent the crankcase, although some people who have chose this method have had some issues with contaminating O2 sensors. I suppose this would depend on how much oil/blow-by the motor is creating.

Originally Posted by jammer94
but i have the new edelbrock manifold so no how do i top off the pcv hole on this manifold ?w/o whatever i put in there wont come out.
If the Edelbrock intake has a pcv valve connection that utilizes a push-in style grommet, you might consider taping the hole with a pipe tap which is a tapered thread and then installing a pipe plug in it. It could also be welded closed. Although not the perfered method, it could be sealed with a filler piece of aluminum and JB Weld or a simular product.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted_Z28
\Mainly, how does the motor get positive ventilation during not boosted use. Harmfull by-products of combustion still enter the crankcase when in crusing or at idle and will contaminate the oil if not removed.
Good point. Its best to run to a catch can and then run the catchcan to the inlet of the compressor. This will vent at part and WOT.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Good point. Its best to run to a catch can and then run the catchcan to the inlet of the compressor. This will vent at part and WOT.
Yes, seems to work okay for you turbo guys. Must use a sealed cap if running one on the catchcan. The reason I mention this is because most are sold with a vented/filtered cap.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:56 PM

Anyone have a nice little schematic of the above mentioned system? I got a good idea what youre talking about, but a nice visual would help out. Would you still retain the stock PCV in this system? Would the PCV valve run to the catch can?

Quick Reply: PCV system set up for turbo....???