Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Ok I got a question about cats and Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 AM

Ok I got a question about cats and Turbos

I see two of my friends (Jose and Brady) are running turbos (but live in Alabama where I guess you don't need emissions. I hate you guys! lol ) what are there other guys doing about cats? My car requires 2 cats and the emissions stations do a visual for cats.

SOOOO...my question is. I can see that the STS Rear Mount turbo kit is not a problem since its at the END of the exhaust. But what about the PTK kit? Does anyone have pics of the kit installed with dual cats????

Just curious
Old 09-06-2004, 12:17 PM

Re: Ok I got a question about cats and Turbos

when i finally turbo up my car I'll have to deal with emissions too. Ive looked at the PTK kit and seeing that its a single turbo, dual cats doesnt seem possible. I figure I could slap 1 cat in there and take it too one of those mom and pop shops for inspection, I should be able to slip by with that, last time i took it they didnt even check for cats. so all i'd have to worry about is the sniffer. so anyway if i had to have duals and in the stock location, id go with a supercharger.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:23 PM

Well I was thinking I could have a pipe that leaves from the turbo, splits into two smaller pipes, hook the cats up and merge them again with another y-pipe into the cat-back setup. man what a PITA! hahaha

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:12 PM

The PTK kit is designed for offroad use, and has no emission hookups. No provision for the dual cats or AIR piping. So you would have to do some work to get it to pass a visual inspection.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by texlurch
The PTK kit is designed for offroad use, and has no emission hookups. No provision for the dual cats or AIR piping. So you would have to do some work to get it to pass a visual inspection.
I did not know that. Drat....I need to move to a state that doesn't have emissions!!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doug 97SS
I did not know that. Drat....I need to move to a state that doesn't have emissions!!!!

Actually, it is against federal law to disable or modify anything related to emissions.. doesn't matter which state.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:42 PM

Actually, it is against federal law to disable or modify anything related to emissions.. doesn't matter which state.
yeah I know. I am pretty **** about being emissions legal. Oh well. No harm done. THanks for heads up.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:32 PM

I'm not turbocharged (supercharged), but I had to install two Dynatech cats to pass emissions. Dropped HC from 1260ppm to 74ppm, so they actually work!

They are =not= in the stock location, and according to Corky Bell's book, cats have to remain in the original position to be technically legal, which would be close to impossible with a turbo, but you might even pass a visual anyway as long as they're there and functioning.

Given people have run in the 9s with cats, I can't help but roll my eyes when I see 14 second cars gutting their converters...
Old 09-06-2004, 04:33 PM

Oh yeah, if you're wondering why they care about location, I imagine its because if you move them further back (or install a turbo in front of them even), they'll heat up more slowly, hence light off more slowly, and you'll have a longer period of high startup emissions.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by davepl

Given people have run in the 9s with cats, I can't help but roll my eyes when I see 14 second cars gutting their converters...
I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:58 PM

Guilty as charged
Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by davepl

Damn right!