Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Manifold Selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 05:06 PM

Manifold Selection

Well, due to the increasing scarcity of the LT4 manifolds, I may or may not be changing my forthing coming setup.

What I'm thinking of is going to a single plane with a elbow and LS1 or Ford Accufab TB. It's not what I want to do by any means, but would probably be about my best option.

What are you FI LT1 guys thoughts on doing the single plane/elbow setup over a ported LT4 manifold?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Re: Manifold Selection

scoggin-dickey and summit still have lt4 manifolds, also ebay and the parts for sale section on this forum if you don't mind used parts.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:38 PM

From what I have been told a Single plain would not help as much with a FI setup. I CALL BS.
Look at the top Ford dragracing cars with Turbo and Supercharger setups the fastest ones run single plains. Quicident, I think not. Look at the new GM high tech guy makes close to 800RWHP on a 346 with a Single plain and some heads that flow 308CFM and a 229 duration cam with a Procharger. He stated he gained 50RWHP with a intake swap N/A, with FI it would be Greater.

NomoreLS1 has a Buddy who basically has the same car as him and nomorels1 made about 70RWHP over his buddy, Only difference is one was running a Single plain 90mm Setup opposed to a Ported LT1 intake 58mm setup. Same rearend, Tranny, Cubes, heads, cam.

A lot of the LS1 FI guys seem to be switching to carb style Single plains with elblow setups.
The two fastest lt1's in the world Run Super Vics I believe and both of them are FI cars.

But it boils down to how fast you want to go, I had Bret Bauer make me a Converted SUper vic with all the goodies, cost over 1600 for almost everything. I traded it with some cash and got a Ported LT4 intake and Monoblade setup. My 9:1 383 with ported AFR heads, and a D1 can make 700+RWHP depending on boost levels, so IMHO I didnt need the Single plain. If I was shooting for a 1000+RWHP I prolly would have kept it. Hope I helped. If you got money to blow then get one, but I think a LTX style intake is Fine for a FI setup.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by hot white z
scoggin-dickey and summit still have lt4 manifolds, also ebay and the parts for sale section on this forum if you don't mind used parts.
Check your factoids. I've called everywhere and no one has any left.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 PM

I say sell the Ford product and then you can easily afford all the LT4 intakes you could ever dream of
Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911
I say sell the Ford product and then you can easily afford all the LT4 intakes you could ever dream of
But it's such a nice car when it ain't broke! Besides, it's the wifes driver.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Look at the people going fast, not the people making suggestions.

Ryan
Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 AM

Fastbird I thought about it too since NoMoreLs1 aka BADST95 on here has one. Either intake LT1 or LT4 can get ya over 700rwhp but like someone else said if you are shooting for a 1000hp and got the cake then why not. I never priced it but I'm sure it isn't cheap. Don't get me wrong that sucker would look good when ya pop the hood. I may do it down the road if I'm not happy w/ the setup I just ordered. Something tells me I will though esp being over here. Crush exotics just at the mere thought and not break a sweat.

1000hp on the street in the US would kill me just because I couldn't go ***** to walls on the interstate.

Sorry I drifted off. See what you put out 1st w/ the LTX intake and go from there.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:47 PM

Well, my problem is that I NEED an LT4 intake to work seamlessly with the TFS heads. Either I find an LT4 intake, and subsequently pay out the rectum, or I go single plane. I'm not shooting for a 1000 hp car (bottom end won't take that), just want to make in the 700's.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 PM

I thought TFS only made LT1 heads. Am i mistaken?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
I thought TFS only made LT1 heads. Am i mistaken?
According to LE there's enough meat in there to raise the runners to match the LT4 intake. Seems to be working looking at the results he's been getting. But yes, they're advertised as LT1 heads.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
According to LE there's enough meat in there to raise the runners to match the LT4 intake. Seems to be working looking at the results he's been getting. But yes, they're advertised as LT1 heads.
The reason I'm interested is because I have a LT4 AFR heads & LT4 manifold, but was looking at some TFS heads and trying to decide if they would work. My manifold was opened up slightly - mostly to match the heads, and I use the LT4 performance gaskets with the big ports. The LT4 manifold has a lot of meat in the top of the ports as well and are meant to be ported int he top of the runners. I would be interested if the heads are high enough to work with that. It would be even better if TFS came out with a LT4 version of the head, but if you have to get them worked anyway, maybe it doesn't matter as long as they would fit.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Well, what LE told me was that when he's done with the TFS heads, you can sit an LT1 manifold on them and see the openings for the head runners ABOVE the side rail on the Lt1 manifold. That's how much they can be opened.

Best advice I've got is to talk to whomever you'd want to port the TFS heads and see how they feel about using your already worked manifold.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Well, what LE told me was that when he's done with the TFS heads, you can sit an LT1 manifold on them and see the openings for the head runners ABOVE the side rail on the Lt1 manifold. That's how much they can be opened.

Best advice I've got is to talk to whomever you'd want to port the TFS heads and see how they feel about using your already worked manifold.
OK, thanks for the reply and advise - sounds promising in case I decide to go in that direction and throw even more funds at my rebuild.