Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Making room for turbo... PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 02:12 PM

Re: Making room for turbo... PICS!

Does anyone know if its going to affect the airflow/cooling of the radiator? I would like to get some extra room in the front of the car also!

-B
Old 05-29-2006, 02:17 PM

I believe he posted earlier in this thread that there were no differences in cooling, and that it still ran at a steady 160*F...
Old 05-29-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
Does anyone know if its going to affect the airflow/cooling of the radiator? I would like to get some extra room in the front of the car also!

-B
It cools far better than the stock radiator. I oppted to put in a 180 thermostat after seeing how well it did cool.

I used one stock fan (cut the factory fan assembly in half) and have the fan turning on with ignition (my personal choice.... was running without a fan for a few days, worked good.). That one fan with the radiator it could idle for days and never heat up past the 180 thermo. The car rides the thermostat with the fan on.

I am not doing the turbosetup anytime super soon. So i did do the basicly for the room for the moment. I have $1500 and i have to decide on waht im spending it on (could finish the turbo setup with that). New thread with poll soon for that!

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff
I've seen this done a couple of time but I dont think I've seen it done as well before, that almost looks like a factory configuration, good work.
Hey.... i was reading on your car and I was curious if you have had that on a dyno? It kinda what setup im going to be going with next year. Im going to use a callies crank and rods, JE pistons, Trickflow heads probly, 8.4:1 compression, and GTS 76 turbo. You are running 16#'s... but couldn't you run quite a bit more? Next year im trying to build one of the baddest street single turbo lt1s out there... but im not positive what to do yet. I think im going with FAST XFI for engine manegment.

Thanks...

Last edited by LT1-TA; 05-29-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:04 PM

We need a write up for this, Was looking at my buddies car today while we took the front bumper off and took the bumper supports out and was thinking of how easy it would be. I wonder how long this took?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by T/A KID
We need a write up for this, Was looking at my buddies car today while we took the front bumper off and took the bumper supports out and was thinking of how easy it would be. I wonder how long this took?
i take that as a question? lol..

as long as you have everything sitting in front of you... its a matter of hours... my sat in the garage because I didn't have everything in front of me... i started without being ready.. lol... but i also jsut screwed around because i was in no huge rush to get it done...
Old 05-30-2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by LT1-TA
Hey.... i was reading on your car and I was curious if you have had that on a dyno? It kinda what setup im going to be going with next year. Im going to use a callies crank and rods, JE pistons, Trickflow heads probly, 8.4:1 compression, and GTS 76 turbo. You are running 16#'s... but couldn't you run quite a bit more? Next year im trying to build one of the baddest street single turbo lt1s out there... but im not positive what to do yet. I think im going with FAST XFI for engine manegment.

Thanks...
Haven't even started it yet . Getting real close though, should be within the next few weeks (I havn't had a lot of time to work on it lately). I could prolly run more than 16 psi but I'm gonna start there and move up gradually. I hoping for about 550 to 600 RWHP. The two limiting factors for me will be the stock heads and the fuel system. I plan on running it like this for a year or 2 (or until it breaks) and then get some Trick Flows and a bigger fuel system. After I get it broken in I'll definatly be taking it to Texas Speed for some dyno time.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 AM

LT1-TA

I have a setup that is close to yours. I am running a PTK gen 2 w/ 76GTS head unit, race Air to Water intercooler and methanol injection. If you want the Baddest LT-1 thats going to be pretty hard running the 76GTS. Its a great unit but there are many out there using the 88 or larger. The 76 is good for around 1,100 FWHP from what I have seen. So figure high 900RWHP in the best conditions with everything being equal. Good luck with your build!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Nice looking install. I saw you were interested in an EMS, but cash strapped. Have you looked at megasquirt? They work really well, and are crazy cheap. I think some one has even made one work with an opti (but why stop there when you can do something that works better). I have ran one on my turbo 4 banger mustang for almost 6 months now, and it daily driven 340 miles a week. Some people are scared of the do it yourself aspect, but it only took me one weekend to assemble it, and the kit is only 190$ for ms1, and 250 for ms2.
You obviously wouldn't be able to pass an obd 2 inspection with one (but you can't with other standalones either).
Old 05-30-2006, 02:42 PM

Looks good, nice way to keep it clean...
Old 05-30-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 96PTKZ28
LT1-TA

I have a setup that is close to yours. I am running a PTK gen 2 w/ 76GTS head unit, race Air to Water intercooler and methanol injection. If you want the Baddest LT-1 thats going to be pretty hard running the 76GTS. Its a great unit but there are many out there using the 88 or larger. The 76 is good for around 1,100 FWHP from what I have seen. So figure high 900RWHP in the best conditions with everything being equal. Good luck with your build!

Well im not really going for strait out the baddest LT1... just basicly one of hte baddest LT1s that can be driven daily and reliably... hence the reason for going turbo instead of N/A or supercharger. You have a really good kit. But that is a lot of money and what I can save building my own that is the route i have opt for.

Originally Posted by I8AStang
Nice looking install. I saw you were interested in an EMS, but cash strapped. Have you looked at megasquirt? They work really well, and are crazy cheap. I think some one has even made one work with an opti (but why stop there when you can do something that works better). I have ran one on my turbo 4 banger mustang for almost 6 months now, and it daily driven 340 miles a week. Some people are scared of the do it yourself aspect, but it only took me one weekend to assemble it, and the kit is only 190$ for ms1, and 250 for ms2.
You obviously wouldn't be able to pass an obd 2 inspection with one (but you can't with other standalones either).
Actully i have looked into it every hard. But I wouldn't be able to solder the board personaly. I have no experince with that kind of soldering. So then im looking at $400 or so for the assembled board... then the wiring harness.... then i have to take a shot in the dark because I don't have the slightest idea on tuning (and most aftermarket EMS you can get a decent lt1 tune to begin with... and then i can play with it to learn).

Last edited by LT1-TA; 05-30-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:29 PM

I had never soldered that kind of board either. Build the stim first after reading the soldering tutorial (stim is a 40$ kit that is useful for testing the squirt/learning the software). It is easy, and will break you in very nicely.
Before I built it, I had never soldered a board. Buy a decent iron (bought just a dual heat one from the rat shack for 20$), clean the tip frequently, and it is really easy. If you wouldn't feel confident about it, then that is definately understandable. But I have to let you know that having a perfectly running standalone that gets better fuel economy that the factory computer, and being able to say you put it together yourself is a great feeling. The starting tunes are easy to find also (just look on the messageboards, somebody will have a simalar combo). I made my tune from scratch on an unproven combo ( 4-banger ford with tfi, have since gone distributorless), and drove it every day since I installed it. Honestly, if you just start with a stock lt1 ve tables and timing tables (from factory pcm), then follow the boost "rules of thumb" I bet you get a starting tune that is almost dead on. If you don't want to go over 21 psi, the map sensor that comes with it will be all you need (I went with a 3-bar, with only 2.3 liters, I got to blow on it hard). I will quit trying to get you to go with MS now, but if you have any questions shoot me an email. Whatever way you go, I am sure it will be a cool project. I have a soft spot for well-done, budget turbo projects.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Wow I like... I'd be interested in a guide. What sort of uncommon tools did you need? A welder I assume...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by I8AStang
I had never soldered that kind of board either. Build the stim first after reading the soldering tutorial (stim is a 40$ kit that is useful for testing the squirt/learning the software). It is easy, and will break you in very nicely.
Before I built it, I had never soldered a board. Buy a decent iron (bought just a dual heat one from the rat shack for 20$), clean the tip frequently, and it is really easy. If you wouldn't feel confident about it, then that is definately understandable. But I have to let you know that having a perfectly running standalone that gets better fuel economy that the factory computer, and being able to say you put it together yourself is a great feeling. The starting tunes are easy to find also (just look on the messageboards, somebody will have a simalar combo). I made my tune from scratch on an unproven combo ( 4-banger ford with tfi, have since gone distributorless), and drove it every day since I installed it. Honestly, if you just start with a stock lt1 ve tables and timing tables (from factory pcm), then follow the boost "rules of thumb" I bet you get a starting tune that is almost dead on. If you don't want to go over 21 psi, the map sensor that comes with it will be all you need (I went with a 3-bar, with only 2.3 liters, I got to blow on it hard). I will quit trying to get you to go with MS now, but if you have any questions shoot me an email. Whatever way you go, I am sure it will be a cool project. I have a soft spot for well-done, budget turbo projects.

I may try it.... it does work well and i know it would do what i want.... i will shoot you some questions later...

Originally Posted by 96 WS6
Wow I like... I'd be interested in a guide. What sort of uncommon tools did you need? A welder I assume...
A welder... a grinder... sawzall... umm.... we used a Plasma to cut out the pieces to box the core support back in...
Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM

Damn that looks good, keep us updated...
Old 07-11-2006, 12:57 AM

How are you going to plumb your coolant system for a catch can/overflow/or expansion tank with that radiator? I have the same one and can't get it work with the freaking "steam" pipe from the heads and a tank. What was your plan for handling that?

Oh amost for got, I have more than 13" from core to throttle body...but just barley.

Quick Reply: Making room for turbo... PICS!