Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

MAF questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:08 PM

MAF questions

the stock vortech bypass- can i vent to the atmosphere with running a maf sensor? i have heard some guys say they ran rich?
Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 AM

Re: MAF questions

you can but im sure it wont run well at all. it would probably run rich when not at WOT. just remove the maf and run it like speed density. youll have the SES light on but if it doesnt bother you......oh well. i drove my car like that for a little bit before i got my MAF signal massager.

why do you want to vent the BOV to the atmosphere?
Old 03-14-2005, 11:02 AM

its not that i really want to, just talked to acouple guys on the board and they have theres setup like that but no MAF sensor. the car won't run without a maf sensor... right?? would the bypass be any louder vented to the atmosphere?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:36 PM

If your MAF is located downstream (after) the bypass valve, then yes, you can vent to atmosphere and be fine.

The stock Vortech setup does not locate the MAF past the bypass valve, though. The air that reaches the bypass valve has already been metered by the MAF. The PCM is expecting that air to reach the engine. If it doesn't (and has gotten vented to atmosphere) its going to run rich as hell when you let off the gas after getting into boost. You'll get quite a blast of black smoke out of your exhaust every time and risk washing your cylinder walls with gas.

Last edited by Bryan 94 Z28; 03-14-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:55 PM

Bryan - how mine is setup is - i have the kn filter then the maf sensor then the blow off valve alittle ways up from that then the rest of the tube onto the blower. so will i be fine to vent to the atmosphere?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by flusz28
Bryan - how mine is setup is - i have the kn filter then the maf sensor then the blow off valve alittle ways up from that then the rest of the tube onto the blower. so will i be fine to vent to the atmosphere?
Nope. You've got yours set up the same way as mine currently. I have to run the stupid little hose from the bypass valve back down to the hole on the intake tube I have. That inlet is just past the MAF, so the metered air doesn't get metered again by the MAF.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:18 PM

like he said, if you put the maf just before the intake manifold elbow then you can vent to the atmosphere.
do a search on placing your maf and im sure you can find some pics of this.

yes you can run without your maf. you will get the service engine soon
light though.

remove the maf, then you have to cycle the ignition a couple times, then the pcm doesnt get any feed back from the maf so it knows that its not working. then it just runs without reading from the maf and runs like speed density....
im sure there are some drawbacks to it...it probably wont run as "crisp". seemed like mine ran a little rich without the maf. it probably ran like that to be on the safe side.

jeremy
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 PM

alright thanks i will keep the bypass setuo normal then.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:25 PM

bryan at pcmforless reworked my pcm to have the maf work correctly with the vortech. mine vents to the atmosphere now, but i just got the race bypass from them, and im having mufflex weld up a permanent induction system in 2 weeks. the car ran beautiful (up to 6200rpm, when i dropped a valvespring).
Old 03-17-2005, 11:52 PM

So if i am readingf this right, i hjave the mondo bypass valve in the 90* just before the TB and i am going to have my MAF sensor on the pressure side will this work and how should i vent it
Old 03-18-2005, 09:46 PM

the mondo has nothing to do with it. as long as the maf is after (downstream)the BOV you can vent it however you want. if the maf is before (upstream) the BOV and you vent to the atmosphere, your pcm will not get a true reading of how much air is going to the motor.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:03 PM

Schurters, that won't work either. The bov is after the maf. Move your bov to the other side of the maf and you will be fine. I have my bov just before the intercooler and it works perfectly.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:30 AM

so if you have the BOV right after the throttle body and the MAF on the other tubes under the car, then i can vent to the atmosphere without hurting anything?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:27 AM
CJ

so if you have the BOV right after the throttle body and the MAF on the other tubes under the car, then i can vent to the atmosphere without hurting anything?
No
Regardless of where you have your MAF and BOV located. Whether its in the bend before the TB, under the car, before the intercooler, after the intercooler...

As long as the MAF is CLOSER to the throttle body than the BOV, you will be fine.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 AM

that sucks, i kept the maf where vortech says to have it. my car idles fine others have said they idle like crap with it relocated? i would like to hear the bov

Quick Reply: MAF questions